PDA

View Full Version : Ot- #*!$*@!! Vista

garagemark
10-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Let's just say I hate Vista. But....

Since that is what's on the war wagon's laptop, I (we) cannot figure out how to connect to the internet with it wirelessly. It finds my network just fine, and it can talk my other machines, but it WILL NOT connect to the Internet. Vista has a "map" that shows active paths. The map to the Internet is X'ed. I've tried private settings, public settings, and, well, just about everything else I can think of. But I haven't hit the combo right yet.

Any of you sharpsters out there know how to fix this POS? Yeah, I know, delete it and get Win7, Linux, or whatever. NOT AN OPTION.

Cummon guys- help me out. Maybe it'll get her off my back for a minute or two. ;)

Tony Ennis
10-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Amusing. Right now I'm fighting with a Win7 laptop, trying to get it to disconnect from a non-functional network from work, so I cna connect it to my home network. I've been working on it for 2 hours. So far, I haven't seen anything like a "disconnect from network" option.

Nor, so far, does it see my home network.

vpt
10-02-2010, 09:08 AM
I had a internet problem with my laptop with vista as well. I found a switch on the front bottom of the laptop that turns wireless on and off. lol

lazlo
10-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Right now I'm fighting with a Win7 laptop, trying to get it to disconnect from a non-functional network from work, so I cna connect it to my home network.

Click on the little http://res2.windows.microsoft.com/resbox/en/Windows%207/Main/d/a/da12251d-1e9a-4032-afae-009876c6c5a3/da12251d-1e9a-4032-afae-009876c6c5a3.jpg in the tray bar, click on the connection you want to disconnect, and click "Disconnect" :)

Tony Ennis
10-02-2010, 09:22 AM
When I click that icon, I get a little popup that says, "Unidentified Network / no internet access." There is no option to disconnect. I have a link for "open network and sharing center" but I can't see how to proceed once I get there.

lazlo
10-02-2010, 09:25 AM
When I click that icon, I get a little popup that says, "Unidentified Network / no internet access." There is no option to disconnect.

That means you're not connected.

Tony Ennis
10-02-2010, 09:33 AM
It won't let me connect to anything else because I'm connected to it.

And it won't discover the same wireless network I'm using right now.

Tony Ennis
10-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Garagemark, try looking at your firewall settings, or disabling your firewall on the Vista machine. You're behind a hardware router already, yes?

lazlo
10-02-2010, 09:44 AM
It won't let me connect to anything else because I'm connected to it.

And it won't discover the same wireless network I'm using right now.

The XP/Vista/Win 7 wireless discovery works even when you're connected to another network. If you can't click on the active network in the try tab, you're not connected.

I've walked several relatives through connecting WiFi over the phone, and I'd rather have a root canal. To make things simpler, start with all authentication (WEP, WPA,..) disabled, the router disabled, the firewall turned off. Once you get that connecting, then systematically start turning your security back on. Make sure you enable WPA (wireless authentication).

If it makes you feel any better, it's far worse to set it up on Linux.

MotorradMike
10-02-2010, 09:56 AM
I've walked several relatives through connecting WiFi over the phone, and I'd rather have a root canal.

HaHa

Exactly. One of you guys is going to have to go over there and stay for a week. Mine is working pretty well now but it's been about 18 months of lots of different people helping.
I still have to do some strange things that make no sense about once a week but I'm happy, for now.
Don't have Vista, happy about that too.

Good luck.

Dr Stan
10-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Do you have access to a building with two or more stories? If so I'd like to recommend the "drop test". :D

The other option is to upgrade to XP.

AD5MB
10-02-2010, 09:57 AM
http://www.wirelessforums.org/how-tos/basic-network-knowledge-troubleshooting-96070.html

terry_g
10-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Where does your wireless signal come from? Can you take your laptop to another location with wireless and see f it works there.
There could be a problem with your wireless router/modem or what ever your using. Try restarting the router and modem.
Sometimes I loose my internet connection and restarting the router and modem solves the problem.
I had a wireless router that failed and would not let me connect to the internet. The laptop could see the signal from the failed router and
connect to it but not to the internet yet all the internal settings were correct.
Like someone said earlier check for a wireless switch on the laptop and make sure it is on, I fell for that once.

What are you using for wireless hardware?

Terry

vpt
10-02-2010, 10:30 AM
http://howdoyoujew.com/images/wifi-switch.jpg

Tony Ennis
10-02-2010, 10:40 AM
I have a switch. Instead of troublesome words, they have "orange" and "not orange" lolz.

rkepler
10-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I've walked several relatives through connecting WiFi over the phone, and I'd rather have a root canal.

Last night I tried to talk my brother (a Windows guy) through getting into a wireless router on my parent's system (Mac to some router) so he could get his Windows laptop to see the network. I work more with Linux systems than anything.

We didn't get too far.

the kid
10-02-2010, 11:28 AM
step 1: place laptop in garbage can

step 2: buy a mac

step 3: turn it on and it works, it just works

gotta love mac;)

garagemark
10-02-2010, 01:33 PM
I will take it to our local Paner Bread tonight and see if it will connect.

The issue is that it has flawlessly found and wirelessly connected to my network (wireless router). Something in Vista just won't let it access the Internet.

Chit. :mad:

Black Forest
10-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Do you have anything else connecting to this network via wireless? It might not be a problem at all with the laptop or Vista. It could be your router.

What router do you have and are you familiar with setting it up? Do you have any security enabled?

macona
10-02-2010, 04:03 PM
With vista you need to set the network from private to public. You can do this in the network connections windows. It will say something about "local" click on the change thing and change it to public. Then you can get on the internet.

Lew Hartswick
10-02-2010, 04:10 PM
I will take it to our local Paner Bread tonight and see if it will connect.

The issue is that it has flawlessly found and wirelessly connected to my network (wireless router). Something in Vista just won't let it access the Internet.

Chit. :mad:
I had this problem with grandaughters desktop last spring and summer. It did work at one time but I don't keep track of what
goes on with her stuff. :-) Anyway I took it back east to her dad
and let him play with it but she ended up with a laptop and it worked
fine (after we finally figured out the "key" wasn't what was on the
lable). So the problem isn't with Vista it's with BillGates in general.
This was XP .
I do hear 7 is almost as good as XP. :-)
...lew...

garagemark
10-02-2010, 04:24 PM
I thought I had enabled "public" but now I'm not so sure. I'll tackle it again tonight.

I need to figure out how to do this because that is the computer she wants to take with her when our new granddaughter is born in a couple of weeks.:) Our daughter has wireless but I need to to make it work here first so I know what to tell her to do when she gets to the kid's house.

I am doing this thread wirelessly from my garage across the street from my house. I have no security whatsoever enabled (it's unlikely for someone to swipe net time from me. I live in the country and there is little opportunity for someone to even get close by).

Thanks for the help to this point. I'll work on it again in a bit. Stand by for more later.

Oh, and the Mac thing is very much in my mind for the next portable.

kc5ezc
10-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Garagemark: Bought a new dell laptop with windows 7 pro. It has hooked up to networks all over the country, home, work, motel, etc with little help from me. Of course, I did not have any trouble with XP either. Guess I am just lucky.
Please let us know what the solution to your problem is.
Thanks.

lazlo
10-02-2010, 06:54 PM
With vista you need to set the network from private to public.

Don't do this, unless you have a hardware firewall.

All the XP/Vista/Win7 network profiles do is change the firewall settings, and turn network discovery on and off. The "Public" profile sets the most restrictive Firewall settings and disables Network Discovery.

Tony Ennis
10-02-2010, 08:26 PM

This is a must for everyone IMO.

macona
10-03-2010, 12:05 AM

All the XP/Vista/Win7 network profiles do is change the firewall settings, and turn network discovery on and off. The "Public" profile sets the most restrictive Firewall settings and disables Network Discovery.

Can you get a router without one anymore?

CompositeEngr
10-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Look at your router settings.
Do you have that limited to how many PCs it will allow to connect to the internet?

Can you ping your router from the laptop?
I'm not familiar at all with windows Vista... so here's basically what you need to do
1) Open a command line
---- hold the Windows key then press R and then type cmd in the little box that should pop up
---- or go to the start menu and see if there is a "Run" entry. Type cmd in the dialog box

2) Do you know your router's IP address?
----- type IPCONFIG in the command line and look for the IP address of the Default Gateway. That should provide you with the internal IP address of your router (assuming you're truly connected to it)

3) write that number from above down, it should be 192.167.1.1 or something similar
----- type PING 192.167.1.1 from your command line
If that returns a result, then you are connected to your router. At that point its likely time to check the router settings instead of your PC settings.

lazlo
10-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Can you get a router without one anymore?

My point is that changing the network profiles is disabling your security. You need to be able to get your Wifi working without reducing your security coverage.

mike os
10-05-2010, 11:02 AM
nothing wrong with vista... you just need to take the time to learn how to use it or set it up properly.... just like any other complex tool.

99.9% of the time it will be a security or setting error....

does it connect when hardwired?

ckelloug
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Robert,

I'm not so sure it isn't easier under linux. In Suse 11.2, I was over at the lab the other day and 1 click had me leaching the neighbor's wifi. I wasn't really trying to do it, I just had gone up to the network tools to see what I networks I could see since the machine said it saw some. 1 click and I had accidentally connected to an insecure access point.

--Cameron

garagemark
10-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Here is the solution. at leaset in this case:

Her network at work uses user assigned IP addresses. It was simply a matter taking out the addresses and enabling the machine to automatically find the IP address. But when she goes back to work we will have to put the hard addresses back into it.

So simple, and yet so maddening!

Thanks guys.

lazlo
10-05-2010, 03:56 PM
But when she goes back to work we will have to put the hard addresses back into it.

You're describing DHCP (automatic IP address assignment). I'd be surprised if your Wife's office doesn't also have DHCP -- IT guys haven't used static IP addresses in a long time.

But in any case, the Win7 network profiles let you change the network settings for each location. So you can have the laptop set for DHCP for the "Home" profile, and static IP's (if that's what you really want) for the "Work" profile.

There's also several excellent freeware programs to do this. One is "AutoProxy":

http://www.soo1.net/AutoProxy.html