PDA

View Full Version : Thinning webs (drills)

lynnl
12-04-2003, 01:37 PM
I've got a few drills that could stand to have the webs thinned. ...how far back should they be thinned? Since I don't have a thin wheel for bench grinder, I planned to just use one of those little 3" abrasive disks in a air cutoff tool. Anything wrong w/that approach?
(I've never done this before. ..obviously)

Forrest Addy
12-04-2003, 03:23 PM
I use the corner of thee wheel. Use the corner of a slip stone on drills under 1/4".

You'll mess up a few practicing but you'll catch on to it.

Pete Burne
12-04-2003, 06:51 PM
Forrest:

Do you have a problem with it rounding off the corner of the wheel? It certainly depends how many drills you are doing.

Pete

Rustybolt
12-04-2003, 08:16 PM
Dress the wheel first so theres a nice crisp corner and use a light touch. Your holding the drill so it points almost straight up. With a little care you shouldn't touch the opposite face at all.

j king
12-04-2003, 08:56 PM
If you are going to do several,then dress the wheel at an angle so it is larger toward the outsie of the grinder.Kind of looks like a cup type wheel.Works great.Grinding wheels are a consumable so dont be afraid to use it. Jim

Peter S
12-05-2003, 07:34 AM
Thats why it is good to keep one wheel on your grinder just for grinding drills, toolsteel etc - so the wheel corner stays sharp - just what you need for web thinning, chip breakers etc. (and take the other wheel off and fit a linisher so you never use your grinding wheel again for all those other grinding jobs).