PDA

View Full Version : McMaster Catalog

lazlo
10-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I have a pristine copy of the McMaster catalog No. 113 (3 years ago). Free to the first response, preferrably from someone who's an active participant. I'll pay the shipping.

rkepler
10-05-2010, 04:12 PM
I'll take it. PMing with address.

lazlo
10-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Glad it's you Russ. :)

I'll get it out in the mail tomorrow.

lakeside53
10-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Rats, late again ;)

daveo
10-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Probably a dumb question, why would someone want it?

wierdscience
10-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Probably a dumb question, why would someone want it?

Because they are hard to get.At work we had an open account with them for two years before we got our first one.And at 3,000+ pages I would hate to have to buy one:eek:

kyfho
10-05-2010, 10:13 PM
We get the new issue at work every year, usually about 100 or so. At least half of them go straight to the trash unopened.

With internet usage nowdays, I didn't realize many people still prefer the hardcopy.

If anyone is interested and would be willing to pay shipping, I'd be happy to grab some next time they come around.

Just PM me so I can get an idea of how many to corral.

JoeLee
10-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Trying to get a catalog from McMaster is like pulling teeth. I have a couple, a 111 and another that I can't remember off hand. I got those from people I know in shops. However I find it much easier and faster to use thier web site.

JL...............

jkilroy
10-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Wish I had known there was such demand for these damn big heavy books, threw out two old McMaster catalogs last week.

lazlo
10-05-2010, 10:26 PM
It's actually an amazing catalog. I know it sounds uber geeky, but when I got mine (from a member on PM), I sat on the couch for 2 hours flipping through it.

And it's not just shopping either, each section has a tutorial: "A world history of pneumatic quick connects", "How to compare Shore and Durometer scales", ...

Did you know a shoe heel is 90 Shore? :D

ADGO_Racing
10-05-2010, 10:27 PM
I will say, unlike MSC, McMaster's website is easy to use. In MSC's defense, they are updating their site to make it easier to use and find stuff.

lazlo
10-05-2010, 10:34 PM
MSC's catalog uses that stupid Flash reader. Flash is evil...

polepenhollow
10-05-2010, 10:45 PM
McMasters' cats are the Holy Grail of garage tinkerers.
You can offer your first born male child to them and not get one.
If you need anything, it is in McMasters,
It has all the latest valid prices for quality materials.
Print copies are great. Old or new.
They let you know what is going on and what is available.
McMaster Carr cat's have value.
When they are discarded at work, I grab them.
I replace my old catalogue.
I then offer my old catalogue and all dumpster dived copies to the Gentlemen at our monthly Model Engineering Meet.
"Chicago Northwest Model Engineers".
All proceeds to go to the coffee kitty for the rent and club treasury.
K Liv

wierdscience
10-05-2010, 11:46 PM
Best part is IF they don't have what you need you can call them up,tell them what you need and they will find it and send you a quote.

There have been times when I needed techincal data on an item and the mfg blew me off.McM had the same item in their cat,so I called them,asked them the question,they called the mfg and got they're rep on the line with me.Suddenly attitudes changed,MCM apparently has some pull;)

wierdscience
10-05-2010, 11:49 PM
MSC's catalog uses that stupid Flash reader. Flash is evil...

MSC's online cat sucks and there is no fixing it.The search feature is horrible,it usually returns 599 items of which 598 aren't what I'm looking for.

ADGO_Racing
10-06-2010, 12:39 AM
MSC's online cat sucks and there is no fixing it.The search feature is horrible,it usually returns 599 items of which 598 aren't what I'm looking for.

Or worse, 599 items you ARE NOT looking for....

I use them as they are only about a half hour away. I usually run up there and pick up what I need. Gets me out of the office/shop for a little bit. They have most of what McMaster has, and if I order it by early evening, I have it tomorrow morning. On a recent trip up there i was told they are in the process of making a newer better website, I guess we will have to wait and see.

I still like to have the book, there is a certain feel for the book, you always see stuff, and know other stuff is out there even if it isn't pertinent to what you are doing now. Searching a website for what you need now, doesn't help you solve future problems.

Another source who has a good online catalog is Reid Supply. They do not have nearly the selection of Mcmaster or MSC.