Note: If you didn't grow up in the U.S., or maybe Canada, this probably
won't make much sense. In the U.S., there have been huge changes in the
past 20-40 years in terms of what is considered acceptable ways to raise
children.

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same
cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to
get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw
sometimes too, but I can't remember getting E-coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of
a pristine pool (talk about boring), the term cell phone would have
conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA
system.

We all took gym, not PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of
high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training
athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors.
can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell
us how much safer we are now.
Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must
be much harder than gym.

Every year, someone taught the whole school a lesson by running in the
halls with leather soles on linoleum tile and hitting the wet spot.

How much better off would we be today if we only knew we could have sued
the school system. Speaking of school, we all said prayers and the
pledge and staying in detention after school caught all sorts of
negative attention. We must have had horribly damaged psyches.

I can't understand it. Schools didn't offer 14 year olds an abortion or
condoms (we wouldn't have known what either was anyway) but they did
give us a couple of baby aspirin and cough syrup if we started getting
the sniffles. What an archaic health system we had then.
Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was
allowed to be proud of myself. I just can't recall how bored we were
without computers, PlayStation, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital cable
stations.

I must be repressing that memory as I try to rationalize through the
denial of the dangers could have befallen us as we trekked off each day
about a mile down the road to some guy's vacant 20, built forts out of
branches and pieces of plywood, made trails, and fought over who got to
be the Lone Ranger. What was that property owner thinking, letting us
play on that lot. He should have been locked up for not putting up a
fence around the property, complete with a self-closing gate and an
infrared intruder alarm.

Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got
that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played king of the hill on piles of gravel left on vacant
construction sites and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48 cent
bottle of mercurochrome and then we got our butt spanked. Now it's a
trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of
antibiotics and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for
leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we
got our butt spanked (physical abuse) here too .... and then we got butt
spanked again when we got home.

Mom invited the door to door salesman inside for coffee, kids choked
down the dust from the gravel driveway while playing with Tonka trucks
(remember why Tonka trucks were made tough... it wasn't so that they
could take the rough Berber in the family room), and Dad drove a car
with leaded gas.

Our music had to be left inside when we went out to play and I am sure
that I nearly exhausted my imagination a couple of times when we went on
two week vacations. I should probably sue the folks now for the danger
they put us in when we all slept in campgrounds in the family tent.

Summers were spent behind the push lawnmower and I didn't even know that
mowers came with motors until I was 13 and we got one without an
automatic blade-stop or an auto-drive.

How sick were my parents? Of course my parents weren't the only psychos.
I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks
on the front stoop just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that
she could have owned our house. Instead she picked him up and swatted
him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they
were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that
we needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes?
We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even
notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac!
How did we survive?
__________________________________________________ __

AmickRacing
11-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Phew, sounds like some rough times for sure. I guess count your blessings and be thankfull you survived unharmed, and with out permanent injury http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif lol

[This message has been edited by AmickRacing (edited 11-30-2003).]

G.A. Ewen
11-30-2003, 03:26 PM
Betterhalf,
We used an outhouse untill I was 12 years old and heated water on the cookstove to take a bath once a week. (you considered yourself lucky if you got to bath first http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif )

StephenK
11-30-2003, 03:42 PM
Betterhalf
All I can say is: Thanks for the Memories.

Stephen K.

Techtchr
11-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Not all the good old days were good. My boss' older brother died of blood poisioning before the invention of antibiotics. My grandmother had to quit school when she was in the 8th grade to take care of her brother. She sent him through college, she got the pride of doing this for her brother, but struggled all her life to make a living. I have a friend who's daughter had a liver transplant as a baby. She's 18 now, wouldn't have happened just a few years before. My wife was in the hospital for an ailment that would have probably killed her 20 years ago. She's fine now. To quote a famous Indiana basket ball coach. "kids haven't changed parents have." Even with all the stupid things that people do now I still wouldn't want to go back to the good old days. The time we live in now has some pretty amazing things going on technologically, and some pretty amazing kids are going to be the leaders, even if a few of them have parents that are nuts.
Matt

Betterhalf
11-30-2003, 05:11 PM
G E Ewen Been there done that. Oldest out of five raised on small Alberta Farm. Running water was how fast you could run the buckets. Out house at 60 below was no fun either.

But we do have some pretty amazing medical break throughs these days but the way we looked at things and expected this was better than kids do now. Its want want want for a lot of them. I am not saying all but some. Yes we have always wanted better for our children and our parents always wanted better for us. But we should all know how to work for it. How to break into a sweat??? Any way my views only. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Betterhalf (edited 11-30-2003).]

G.A. Ewen
11-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Betterhalf, "been there done that", then you know how to keep your buns from freezing when it's -40 in the outhouse?

Arcane
11-30-2003, 08:43 PM
I remember us having an outhouse and no indoor plumbing whatsoever. Heat was from a coal burning "bunker" stove and a regular wood fired cookstove, which had a built in hot water compartment, but we used to melt snow in a copper boiler come once a week bath night in the winter months. Light was from kerosene lamps and we had no telephone either. The power came in when I was a kid and I ended up working for the same crew foreman when I became a lineman. I still remember them strapping the spurs on me and holding me so I could stand on the bug pole. I was in grade 4 before I rode a schoolbus too, had to walk about 3/4 mile to school (one way) thru the pastures. Not too bad except when it rained or winter storms (drifts would get granery roof high) or when the creek was high in the spring and it was a challenge when the neighbour had his bull out in the pasture with his cows. Didn`t seem like anything out of the ordinary back then.

bdarin
11-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Buck up, chaps! After the apocalypse (2012) it'll all be like that again. There won't be an SUV for miles around, the outhouse will be popular once again, we'll be able to smoke in public places, grab girls' butts when they walk by, and die of natural causes at a much earlier age. It will be the good old days revisited. Then we can tell how it was in the old days when all we did was sit around in front of computers and give the finger to Lexus drivers. Ahhhhhhhhh

ttok
11-30-2003, 10:26 PM
LOL It was 35* in the house for the last three nights - no heat or hot water because the stinkin' idiot plumbers could not THREAD ONE END OF A BLACK IRON GAS PIPE after 3 days of trying! It was either because of poor Rigid die chasers (they used up 4 sets) or cheap Chineese pipe with hard spots in it!

As for the outhouse, we have one out back with no heat, but with running water for the yardman! It came in handy the last 8 months during our house renovation - portable toilet for the workmen would have cost $100/month! Progress!!

jfsmith
12-01-2003, 12:15 AM
I have lived around the world, son of an attache' to the occupational government of Germany. I served in the army when they were messing in the Vietnamese civil war. I went to grad school in the plains of Canada.

During my lifetime we have gone from a few miracle drugs to millions, which I am allegic to most of them now.

I remember when TV was only on a few hours a day to now having hundreds of usleless channels.

The outhouse during grad school was in -40 weather, the other stove in the house burned wood. The main stoved burned natural gas. The furnace ran on fuel oil, one winter the fuek oil got so thick that it wouldn't flow, so like an idiot I wraped the pipe with a electric heat made to keep pipes from freezing. We lived with the wood burning stove running thru out winter.

Today in suburbia, I make things with my hands, I keep the wood stove burning all the time when it is cold out. My life is simpler.

If we took the time to read the newspaper, talk to our neighbors and spent the time to smell the roses, we would all be better off.

Jerry

Thrud
12-01-2003, 12:38 AM
I remember my grandfathers crank telephone, his coal fired stove (also the only heat in the 4 room house) the outhouse, his huge garden, the wild berries. My one uncle and aunt never had running water until 1970 - the had the old tin toilets upstairs so you did not have to go out in the -60 weather, but you still had to empty the bucket the next morning, and filling the galvanized steel tub was a lot of work for a kid! The winter nights there were damn cold - no heat upstairs except for a small coal stove - piles of blankets and huddled cousins - you could see your breath it was so cold.

We sure have a cushy life now by comparison, but back then I thought I had it pretty good.

L Webb
12-01-2003, 05:47 PM
My brother got Polio in 1954, not long before the vaccine was developed. The family had to move out of Iowa because he would not survive another winter. He does pretty well now.
That was not the good old days.

Some things I remember are, metal wheels on skates and skateboards, with no helmets and pads.

Everybody in school carried a pocketknife. It was a must have tool, not a weapon or vandalism tool.

Bringing my hunting knife that my sister bought in Germany to show-and-tell at school.

Bologna sandwiches with butter and mayo kept in our lunchbox for hours.

Being disappointed when it got dark outside and having to quit playing with all the neighbor kids.

We only had one TV in the house. We got to watch one show a night after homework was done.

Having a Mother who served as Girl Scout troop leader, Cub Scout den mother, PTA President, all while holding down a full time night job at the bank.

I also remember the air quality and smog so bad they kept us inside for recess on some days. We don't have that problem now since they killed all the heavy industry in So. California with the air control board.

Les

jfsmith
12-01-2003, 06:11 PM
Les,

Was that one TV Black and Whites?

Jerry

Tony
12-01-2003, 06:28 PM
thrud -- a "crank" telephone? hah.. you mean one of those pulsed rotary dialer type phones? sheesh haven't seen one of those in... dunno how long.

G.A. -- just curious, how DOES one keep their buns warm at -40? (i'm guessing the answer is: "they don't"?)

as a gentle reminder, these are fast times.
not only have alot of things changed, but people these days *expect* them to. its been, first and foremost, a change of mindset.

personally, i think its been the technological boom. something we on this board, more than others, have had a direct hand in.

look at it this way: the human race went from INVENTING/discovering the airplane to
flying to the moon in the span of *one* human lifetime. (~70 yrs)

thats quite a trend to set.

don't get me wrong.. i too yearn for the old days of wreckless public smoking and butt grabbing... even though i was only 4 years old. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

ahhh, the good old days in kintergarden, smoking filterless chesterfields and womanize'n under the monkey bars.

-tony

G.A. Ewen
12-01-2003, 07:01 PM
You hang the toilet seat on a nail behind the wood cookstove. Whoever needs to use it takes it off the wall, tucks it under his coat and runs like hell to the outhouse.

Funny, when I think back on it, my sisters didn't spend an hour in the bath room until after we got indoor plumbing. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Evan
12-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Tony,

I'm sure Thrud is refering to the old "magneto" phones. They had a crank on them that turned a magneto to generate the ring signal to alert the operator that someon wants to make a call. There is no dial. We had probably the very last one in Canada out by where we had a cabin on Puntzi lake. It was a magneto pay phone, no less. My wife used to work in operator services here when they still had cord boards. Those are the ones where all the switching of calls is done by plugging and unplugging the cords from all the trunk line connectors into the board by hand.

A truly amazing thing to see was a large electromechnical telephone exchange. What a racket as all the stepper relays clatter away. The volume would change with time of day.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 12-01-2003).]

L Webb
12-01-2003, 09:23 PM
Yes Jerry, black and white.
Color TV's were way too expensive.

I was probably gone from home before they got one with a remote.

I remember one of my parents favorite shows was Lawrence Welk. Not much fun for a kid to watch.

Les

G.A. Ewen
12-02-2003, 12:34 AM
L Webb,
"Lawrence Welk" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//eek.gif You've brought back some horrible memories. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

jeastwood
12-02-2003, 03:40 PM
Been fun reading this thread. Here's my contribution: in 4th grade, I started making gunpowder, and was allowed to bring it to school and light some off for show and tell!

I think the kids were most impressed by the fact that Teacher actually allowed me to handle matches.

Same school, 4 years later, they let me bring my home built laser and run it for the science fair. OK, I only built the power supply (Edmund Scientific supplyed the He-Ne tube), but still...

Evan
12-02-2003, 04:15 PM
We never had a TV when I was a kid until I bought one at a MG Wards clearout sale of trade-in stuff. Paid $5 and had to fix it. That was when I was 15. Moved out of the house permanently at 16. Never did watch much TV as a kid. I still can't stand 98% of the dreck that is on. Good show about Tesla last night though.

Jerry B
12-02-2003, 04:42 PM
knucklehead
""crank" telephone? hah.. you mean one of those pulsed rotary dialer type phones? sheesh haven't seen one of those in... dunno how long."

No, he means it had a crank on the side and you spin it around like winding an old clock or crank starting a model T.

You best watch several episodes of Andy Griffith.

jfsmith
12-02-2003, 05:45 PM
What is wrong with the good old days? We didn't have as many problems as we do today.

As somebody mentioned that their sister didn't spend an hour in the bathroom until they got indoor plumbing. Just think of the time saved.

I didn't have my first colour TV until I was in the army. I traded for it, I worked for the guy who owned the TV repair shop after duty hours as an antenna installer, any one remember those things?

Jerry

BFHAMR
12-02-2003, 06:03 PM
I'm still fairly young (in my mind) at 42 but when I was a kid I attended a one room school. Does that count as the good old days?

Dan

Carl
12-02-2003, 07:04 PM
What about bicycle helmets, safety car seats for kids, seat belts, air bags that snap kids necks and drive your eyeglasses through your skull, and POLITICAL CORRECTNESS in all its diabolical forms. How did we ever survive without the first three, and how will we ever survive the last two.

msrm
12-03-2003, 01:33 AM
I see kids that are eight years old that won't go outside in the summer because it is
too HOT. And how did we ever get along on
family trips or driving home from church
without the in van movie screen. It is
unbelievable how kids and adults to some
degree have to be entertained ALL THE TIME.
I remember on vacation we visited as a family while on the road. My brother and I
ran all over the woods playing army all day
long in the summer. I don't remember a hot
day in Missouri(we do have them of course)
in the summer as a kid. I also remember as
a kid if you misbehaved at school or at
church the nearest adult took care of the
situation right then and there. When my parents found out that I had to corrected I
got some more correction just to make sure.
Heaven for bid an adult does that today,
First the kid will give a smart remark and tell you where to stick it and then the parents will comment that it is none of your business and or "my child" would never do such and such. I wish we could harken back to a day of personal responsibility and character.

msrm
12-03-2003, 01:34 AM
I see kids that are eight years old that won't go outside in the summer because it is
too HOT. And how did we ever get along on
family trips or driving home from church
without the in van movie screen. It is
unbelievable how kids and adults to some
degree have to be entertained ALL THE TIME.
I remember on vacation we visited as a family while on the road. My brother and I
ran all over the woods playing army all day
long in the summer. I don't remember a hot
day in Missouri(we do have them of course)
in the summer as a kid. I also remember as
a kid if you misbehaved at school or at
church the nearest adult took care of the
situation right then and there. When my parents found out that I had to corrected I
got some more correction just to make sure.
Heaven for bid an adult does that today,
First the kid will give a smart remark and tell you where to stick it and then the parents will comment that it is none of your business and or "my child" would never do such and such. I wish we could harken back to a day of personal responsibility and character.

IOWOLF
12-03-2003, 08:28 AM
what? no one got up to milk cows, then walked 5 miles up hill to school in a blizzard, then walked 5 miles uphill home just to do 2 hours of chores d milk cows again?

lotsa luck
12-03-2003, 09:48 AM
I milked cows for the last 2 years of high school. Darn things don't take vacations so you have to be there twice EVERY day. Then walked only 1/4 mile to catch the school bus. Got back from school at 3:30 and went straight to the cows again until 7:00. Had dinner, homework, bath and bed. To this day I rarely watch the idiot box (tv).

BFHAMR
12-03-2003, 11:37 AM
I spent the first thirty years of my life milking cows. The worst thing I can think of was having to climb up into the silo on a sunday night when it was about twenty below zero to fix the silo unloader.

Dan

Betterhalf
12-03-2003, 12:25 PM
I have milked cows at 5:00am feed the rest of them then got on the school bus 7:00am full day of school home at 4:30pm. Organized younger bother and sisters milked cow at 5:30pm feed cows. Started supper (mum and dad worked in town they got home at 6:30pm) Had supper then homework till 9:00pm. The next day start again. I used to hate when school bus didn't run for cold -40 F. and wind. Someone still had to go out and do those darn cows. One year snow cold
and wind so bad could not see in front of your face my dad tied rope to me and I had to walk out to find points to attach rope so we could get from house to barn to hay shed. Dad came behind me so he could always pull me back to last area of tied off rope. That was the fist year we were on the farm after that the rope went up first snow fall We lived in central Alberta. Had to use it
more than once. Telephone we didn't have till I left home late 1970?? Neighbors were neighbors you needed help they were there no questions asked. How many even know there neighbors names these days let alone if they would come to your aide. We are lucky where we live now and have that connection with our neighbors.

[This message has been edited by Betterhalf (edited 12-03-2003).]

wierdscience
12-03-2003, 01:12 PM
Monkey Wards,now there is a memory,my dad bought the very same aluminum extension ladder he has now the week after I was born(seems he needed to paint the house real bad http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif)for a whopping $9.50 lots more than you get now too.

We watched tv a lot when I was a kid,we had count'm six channels,all black and white plus you had to get up off your butt to change channels.I learned may valuable lessons from such shows as Marlin Perkin's wild kingdom,like not sticking my hand in a lion's mouth http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Cut up at school,get you butt whipped there then another when you got home,and you know what?Till this day I love both my parents,I don't do drugs nor have I killed anybody,amazing!

Thrud
12-04-2003, 02:52 AM
My mom used to have to pickup cow turds to burn in the stove in the dirty thirties in Lumsden, SK a pair of work boot cost my grampa $.10 (a lot of money then), they bought all their house furniture from the sears catalog for $4.25 -(3 beds, a stove, a table, four chairs, china cabnet, pots & pans, dishes, etc. a .44-40 Winchester, H&H 12 Ga.) - what a deal...

Mcostello
12-04-2003, 10:49 PM
I have a friend that married a gal from Kansas, they were too poor to buy shoes, when they went out in the mornings and it was frosty, to milk the cows, they would look for the warm cow patties to stand in to warm up their feet. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//frown.gif

Benjamin Borowsky
12-05-2003, 08:24 AM
yes to much of your post... but without modern medicine, I'd be dead now. (And so would my wife...) Are we defeating Darwin? Probably. Am I complaining?

No at all.

B2

IOWOLF
12-05-2003, 10:12 AM
"I learned may valuable lessons from such shows as Marlin Perkin's wild kingdom,like not sticking my hand in a lion's mouth "

I too learned stuff from that show, like get Jim to stick his hand in the lions mouth, or wrestle a big snake in a swamp.
all while marlin narrated.

wierdscience
12-05-2003, 09:16 PM
I always wanted one of those grenade propelled nets http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif