PDA

View Full Version : Republic Lagun Lathes

talvare
10-08-2010, 09:05 AM
I have been in the market for a used engine lathe in the 12 x 36 to 14 x40 range for several months. I'm going today to look at a Republic Lagun T12, 14x36 lathe but have not been able to find much information on the net about these lathes. Does anyone have experience with these lathes that can give me their input. Thanks

Dr Stan
10-08-2010, 09:18 AM
I've never ran one of Lagun's lathes, but have run their turret mills. IMO one of the best on the market. The importer for Lagun is in California so parts, if needed, should not be an issue. BTW, the mill I ran was made in Spain.

talvare
10-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Stan,
Thanks for your input. I've seen a couple of comments on the net very similar to yours, so makes me think maybe this brand of equipment has some inherent quality.

x39
10-08-2010, 04:45 PM
My experience with Lagun milling machines mirrors that of Dr. Stan. Some years back I was in the market for a new lathe and was looking hard at the Republic line. What turned me off was the construction appeared to the of the same type used by the Chinese, which is to say the Vee part of the ways did not extend under the headstock on the gap bed models.

.RC.
10-08-2010, 05:04 PM
What turned me off was the construction appeared to the of the same type used by the Chinese, which is to say the Vee part of the ways did not extend under the headstock on the gap bed models.

That is a british design, that the chinese copied... The Laguns seem to be based on the Colchester design...

I think it is only US lathes that ever made the headstock sit on V-ways...

davidwdyer
10-08-2010, 05:33 PM
I may be mistaken, but the Lagun seems to be the lathe of choice here in Brazil. If you have one of those, you have the real deal.

Dr Stan
10-08-2010, 07:19 PM
I may be mistaken, but the Lagun seems to be the lathe of choice here in Brazil. If you have one of those, you have the real deal.

Given Brazil is the home of Romi I find that quite interesting.

x39
10-08-2010, 08:40 PM
That is a british design, that the chinese copied...
I stand corrected. Notwithstanding, the Republics in the literature I looked at had all the hallmarks of Asian products.

wierdscience
10-08-2010, 09:54 PM
They're website says "Western European" construction. on the Liberty series,but nothing on the smaller series lathes.They also have a line of Hardinge knock offs.I wonder if they are Taiwanese?

Oh,they also offer a line of shapers,kind of interesting,wonder what a new shaper goes for?-

http://www.lagun.com/republic-l-series/

gr8life
10-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Talvare Just curious about the price & your location (one of the things I dislike about this site very few members list where they are ). I have a Lagun mill & like it very much and there is a Lagun Mill for sale that I was thinking of looking at.
thanks
ed

talvare
10-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Thanks to everyone who gave input to my querry. I did go look at the lathe today. I was very impressed with the quality of the machine. The best I could tell, it was one of the machines built in Spain. VERY stout lathe. It has a lot of miles on it but seems to operate well and I really didn't see anything that couldn't be taken care of with little effort. I'm mostly concerned with what I can't see, eg; inside the gear box, wear on the drive screws and nuts, etc. I'm still trying to find a source of information on the net.

In response to Ed, I live in Sacramento, Ca. Asking price for the lathe is $3K.

gr8life
10-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Thanks Take a look at this on ebay. It is in Las Vegas & I am interested but really tired of moving machines. If you come to see it let me know.
thanks
ed
http://cgi.ebay.com/Republic-Lagun-14-S-Geared-Head-Lathe-Dig-X-Y-Readout-/370396924966?pt=BI_Lathes&hash=item563d608c26

talvare
10-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Ed,

I looked at the RL lathe on the E-Bay link you sent. Looks like a nice lathe. It definitely looks like a newer lathe than the one I looked at, but also looks like a little lighter construction than the older model. I would love to look at it but Las Vegas is about a 10 hour drive from me. Long distance looking gets expensive !

Thanks, Ted

legendboy
10-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I have a chance to buy a 12" republic lathe for cheap but I am not sure i want to. I would be buying for resell.

Maybe i will take some pictures and post here tomorrow

legendboy
10-13-2010, 02:50 PM
crappy picture, no light and cell phone pic

this is a 12" lathe, no serial or model number on the name plate. just says republic machine co. usa 12"

this particular machine has a tail stock and steady rest not pictured. also has some change gears

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/shackner/republic.jpg

talvare
10-16-2010, 11:54 PM
This lathe looks a lot different than the 14 x 36 I looked at. I contacted RL here in Ca. about the one I looked at and they said it is no longer supported and no parts availability, so I'm still looking.

olmechanic
11-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I saw Republic Lagun 14x40 1985 that is for sale on craigslist http://rockford.craigslist.org/for/2651085698.html that I am thinkin about buying.

It think the price is right if it is as little used as the description says.
Any comments please?
olmechanic

dalee100
11-02-2011, 10:00 PM
They're website says "Western European" construction. on the Liberty series,but nothing on the smaller series lathes.They also have a line of Hardinge knock offs.I wonder if they are Taiwanese?

Oh,they also offer a line of shapers,kind of interesting,wonder what a new shaper goes for?-

http://www.lagun.com/republic-l-series/

Hi,

According to Lagun's lease calculator, about $50,000 for a new shaper.

dalee

dwentz
11-03-2011, 11:57 AM
Wow, I didn't know anyone still manufactured a Shaper today.

Dale