PDA

View Full Version : Southbend 9" weight?

BillH
12-05-2003, 10:40 PM
In my local paper, theres almost allways atleast one used southbend 9" lathe labeled as good or excellent condition for around 450 to 750$
Besides money, the thing keeping me from getting it is my ability to move it.
How much does say one of these 9x36 lathes actually weigh? Also, my car is a taurus stationwagon.
I cant seam to squelch this feel for the need of a southbend lathe.

JCHannum
12-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Depending on the model, bed length and accessories, they can weigh from around 250#-500#. No problem loading them into station wagon. They are easily dismantled, remove tailstock, feedscrew and carriage and headstock. You will want to dismantle and clean anyhow.
I moved several South Bend and Atlas lathes with my Camaro convertable before I got pickup.
If you want to do it, it is possible. Goes for just about anything come to think of it.

John Foster
12-05-2003, 11:10 PM
JC is right. Strip down to the bed and most anyone can carry any one piece, even the bed. The bed is the heaviest but if need be 2 men can carry it easily. Pull the jackshaft to get the motor, casting and jackshaft free from the lathe. John

Evan
12-06-2003, 02:20 AM
My dad brought my SB9 up here in '81 in the back seat area of his Firebird. Took the seat out and put the lathe in. Wasn't easy. You should have no problem.