PDA

View Full Version : OMG Live video on Chilean mine rescue

winchman
10-12-2010, 06:56 PM
They're attaching the cable to the rescue capsule. The U-bolt that holds the cable in one of the fittings doesn't fit, so they're spreading it with a tapered drift and a sledge hammer. Then the U-bolt won't go in the fitting. More hammering. Then the fitting won't go through the opening in the side of the capsule. They finally get it inside. I sure hope the rest of the rescue goes more smoothly than the cable attachment appeared to be going.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ Click on: Watch live: Workers prepare for rescue

winchman
10-12-2010, 07:12 PM
They raised the capsule vertical, then lowered it back to the ground. It looks like they're not happy with the way the cable end fitting is arranged inside the capsule. The preffered tool apears to be a BFH, with a piece of 1" rebar running a close second.

Liger Zero
10-12-2010, 07:21 PM
They were going to log on here for help, but they saw the oil-well thread.

Evan
10-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Why are they having a problem? They have already run the capsule to the bottom and back up again.

140mower
10-12-2010, 09:36 PM
It's my understanding they were doing a dry run first, then all going well will send down a rescue worker to asses and assist the removal of the miners. They do seem to be spending a lot of time trying to keep the cable off the edge of the casing. Is there any reason for not having the wheel over the shaft directly verses off to the side as it is?

RKW
10-12-2010, 10:12 PM
With so much metal fatigue the dry run may be the only one they get.

tyrone shewlaces
10-12-2010, 10:28 PM
"Workers prepare for rescue" looks like a bunch of pinhead politicians posing for pictures to me.

"Wait, don't pull them up yet. Just 3 more good photos for the media and then feel free to free them."

Pfffft. Bring 'em home already!

fredf
10-12-2010, 10:47 PM
subtitles would be nice or maybe an anouncer explaining what they are doing . . . .

aboard_epsilon
10-12-2010, 11:02 PM
commentary ..youll have to tune into the BBC for that .

all the best.markj

wierdscience
10-12-2010, 11:08 PM
This long to get the first guy up,I think we're gonna be here awhile:D

ADGO_Racing
10-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Anyone start a pool as to what point just below the surface they will "conveniently" get stuck, in order to afford the politicians another speaking/photo opportunity? ;)

ADGO_Racing
10-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Oooops too late, first guy just popped out....:cool:

winchman
10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
This is nutso. They're sending down more rescuers. I see they're even planning to send down two commandos. The guys have managed to stay alive for this long, why do they need more people down in the hole.

Seeing all the trouble they seem to have with the door, who's going to close the door when the last guy gets in the capsule???

ADGO_Racing
10-12-2010, 11:31 PM
By then they will have figured out how to close the door....I too, was wondering why another guy went down. Unless he is a Dr. or something going to treat some of the sick or injured.

I need to get the GF up here, so she can translate. At least she paid attention in Spanish class. :D

Willy
10-12-2010, 11:46 PM
After reading this about six weeks ago....

At least five wives have been forced to come face to face with mistresses whose existence was kept from them by their husbands, who have been trapped more than 700 metres below since a cave-in on Aug 5. One miner has four women fighting over him in an effort to claim compensation.

Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Wives+mistresses+girlfriends+stake+claims+trapped+ miners/3476928/story.html#ixzz12CshvPgW

I wonder if the reunion of some of the rescued miners and their wives will resemble a casting call for the Springer show.

Cheeseking
10-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Can you imagine being the last guy down there as the capsule goes up and then waiting all alone in that room for it to hopefully come back :eek: I get the sweats thinking about being wedged in that steel tube. Konk me on the head first please.
I wonder if the wheels are retractable from inside to loosen it up in case of a jam?

winchman
10-13-2010, 12:20 AM
The wheels are spring-loaded. I saw one of the guys pushing one in with his foot while waiting for his buddy to get on board. They waste way too much time getting people on and off.

I see the mine is bankrupt. Maybe they could make some money giving rides down the shaft to recoup the cost of the rescue. There's probably a lot of people who would pay $1000 for a round trip.

Evan
10-13-2010, 12:33 AM
I really wonder what it smells like at the bottom. :eek:

tumutbound
10-13-2010, 12:37 AM
I really wonder what it smells like at the bottom. :eek:

When I saw the photo of the first miner out being hugged I wondered something similar.
Shower first, then hug.

lugnut
10-13-2010, 01:14 AM
I just watched the first three come up and it looks like it's going to take an hour per trip. About 17 min travel time each way and the rest getting loaded and unloaded.

winchman
10-13-2010, 03:18 AM
That 19-year-old who was the fifth to come up didn't look near as happy and healthy as the 40-year-old who came up earlier. I wonder what the criteria was for the order of rescue.

Guido
10-13-2010, 03:47 AM
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/Guido_album/untitled.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p86/Guido_album/10679_1002306538.jpg

I was barely 13 years old, but news stories of the abandoned well in San Marino, which claimed 3 year old Kathy, have stayed with me.

Certainly never knew her but her story helped whit my curiosity in mines, oil wells, water wells, geology, etc. Hold a BS in Petroleum Engineering.

Google: Kathy Fiscus

--G

Evan
10-13-2010, 06:10 AM
That 19-year-old who was the fifth to come up didn't look near as happy and healthy as the 40-year-old who came up earlier. I wonder what the criteria was for the order of rescue.

The criteria was for the most experienced and mentally stable to come up first. They have NASA psychologists on scene to assess this. They didn't want somebody to have a screaming fit of the heebie jeebies on the way up and scare the sheet out of the ones yet to come.

A.K. Boomer
10-13-2010, 07:36 AM
They were going to log on here for help, but they saw the oil-well thread.

This was worth bringing up to another page:) Good stuff Liger...

Machtool
10-13-2010, 07:48 AM
They have NASA psychologists on scene to assess this.
Evan.

That made news here some time ago. Iím pretty sure that was just a few days of consulting. Those NASA guys have long left the site. According to Nasa, they had three days worth of meetings around the 1st Ė 3rd September

http://www.nasa.gov/news/chile_assistance.html

Thereís any amount of interviews with the NASA psychologist Dr. Al Holland when he was back home in Houston back in early September.

Phil.

vincemulhollon
10-13-2010, 08:20 AM
They're attaching the cable to the rescue capsule. The U-bolt that holds the cable in one of the fittings doesn't fit, so they're spreading it with a tapered drift and a sledge hammer. Then the U-bolt won't go in the fitting. More hammering. Then the fitting won't go through the opening in the side of the capsule.

There is a lesson here, that once you start using the BFH, you can't go back, you have to eventually BFH everything because everything ends up bent or distorted. So, I try to avoid using my BFH... If I "need" the BFH to make my taper not fall out of the spindle, the BFH is not the solution, its merely the start of many more problems...