X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lynnl
    • Jan 2002

Anerobic adhesives

Do anerobic adhesives such as Loctite work in wood, or other porous materials? e.g. permanently fixing a bolt or screw in wood?

Or would epoxy be a better choice?
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)
  • Evan
    • May 2003

No, they will not work. Oxygen isn't the only problem. The resins in wood inactivate many of the cyano adhesives so they must be formulated for wood. Epoxy is the best choice.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• lynnl
      • Jan 2002

Drat! I was afraid of that.

Thanks Evan.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• MuellerNick

Do anerobic adhesives such as Loctite work in wood
        WHAT Loctite? The ones for metal do not work.
        But CA ("super glue") works great on wood. Ask a model builder ...
        Sometimes they don't want to react, then use zipper (an activator).

Nick

Comment

• Evan
          • May 2003

There are many types of cyanoacrylates. Some work with wood and some don't. Loctite thread lockers are based on cyanoacrylates too but definitely don't work with wood. One way to make most cyanoacrylates polymerize instantly is to prime the surface with sodium bicarbonate powder. It can also be used to build up a fillet of dry powder which you then soak with very low viscosity CA glue such as ZAP.

Warning: If you use the sodium bicarbonate trick the glue will go off IMMEDIATELY. It will release a considerable amount of noxious fumes so be sure to have the airflow away from your face.

Comment

• MuellerNick

Loctite thread lockers are based on cyanoacrylates too but definitely don't work with wood.
            I think I wrote that it doesn't work with thread lockers (= for metals). But they are not CA-glues.
            I also think I wrote "super clue", and that clearly works with wood. What is commonly called CA reacts with water.
            Loctite for metal is an modified anaerobic glue that needs metal to cure.

But you only had to contradict ...

Nick

Comment

• Evan
              • May 2003

I think I wrote that it doesn't work with thread lockers (= for metals). But they are not CA-glues.
              I also think I wrote "super clue", and that clearly works with wood. What is commonly called CA reacts with water.
              Loctite for metal is an modified anaerobic glue that needs metal to cure.

But you only had to contradict ...
              Not contradicting, correcting.

Superglue is a Brand, not a specific glue.

Cyanoacrylate glues are catalysed by bases, not water. Most surfaces tend to be basic and water mobilizes those ions. Why don't you try it instead of shooting off your mouth? Woods are usually acidic and prevent catalysis.

Loctite is also a brand, not a specific product. The Loctite thread locking compounds are based on a modified cyanoacrylate formula, usually polyglycol methacrylate. Metal is not the catalyst. Oxygen acts as an inhibitor for thread lockers. When they are out of contact with oxygen the reaction is able to proceed.

So far you are batting zero. Care to make any other mistakes today?

Comment

• MotorradMike
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Evan
                So far you are batting zero. Care to make any other mistakes today?
                Why do you have to be like that?
                Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

• MuellerNick

Superglue is a Brand, not a specific glue.
                  IDIOT!
                  I wrote CA ("super glue") I wrote both the brand an the common denominator. Now you ASSHOLE FROM OUTER SPACE have nothing more to do than just pick out what suits your three rotten neural cells to start just another useless discussion.

The Loctite thread locking compounds are based on a modified cyanoacrylate formula, usually polyglycol methacrylate.
                  YOU ARE SO DUMB THAT IT HURTS!
                  CA stands for methyl 2-cyanoacrylate, ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate, n-butyl cyanoacrylate, 2-octyl cyanoacrylate. CYANOxxx! Not methylxxx. The C in CA! methacrylate lacks the CN (= cyan)

PISS OFF AND ADJUST YOUR FILTER!

Nick

Comment

• ikdor
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Evan
                    The Loctite thread locking compounds are based on a modified cyanoacrylate formula, usually polyglycol methacrylate. Metal is not the catalyst. Oxygen acts as an inhibitor for thread lockers. When they are out of contact with oxygen the reaction is able to proceed.
                    Well, this is just not true, otherwise it would solidify in the bottle. It needs the metal AND the lack of oxygen.

Directly from the site of Permabond:
                    "By definition, anaerobic adhesives remain liquid until isolated from oxygen in the presence of metal ions, such as iron or copper."

Igor

Comment

• wierdscience
                      • Jan 2003

Loctite 271 will hit on wood,I learned that the hard way once.Have no clue as to how long it takes to cure thou.

On wood though I use plain vanilla $.99/2-pack super glue since it's one hell of a lot cheaper.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Evan
                        • May 2003

Why do you have to be like that?
                        Because that is how Nick is.

Well, this is just not true, otherwise it would solidify in the bottle. It needs the metal AND the lack of oxygen.
                        The container contains an inhibitor.

Metals will promote a faster cure but it will still cure when not in contact with active metals.

YOU ARE SO DUMB THAT IT HURTS!

Look up the word MODIFIED
                        Have you tried the bicarbonate trick yet dickhead?

I have to go to town in a few minutes. Later.

Comment

• MuellerNick

Look up the word MODIFIED
                          Yes, modified. Now it is something new. But for the no-brainer it is still the same. Just a new name. CA.
                          Polyvinyl is just a modified polygon. It starts with poly, so it must be just modified.

Have you tried the bicarbonate trick yet dickhead?
                          No, I see at you that it seems to be a neural toxic.

Nick

Comment

• MuellerNick

I'm asking a mod to close this thread before I freak out with that dumbass Evan!

Thanks,
                            Nick

Comment

• gwilson
                              • Feb 2007

I understand that the package that Loctite comes in is permeable by oxygen,which keeps the loctite from hardening up,and limits its shelf life to 6 months.

I'm no expert on this,but that's what I was told.

Evan certainly isn't stupid,either.

Comment

Working...
                              X