Toolsteel heat treat and small hole shrinkage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wierdscience
    • Jan 2003

Toolsteel heat treat and small hole shrinkage?

Got a project I want to build that involves several plates,dies basically with small threaded holes in them (#2-#10)that must be heat treated.

I've never heat treated anything with tapped holes that small before.How much if any shrink should I expect in either O-1 or A-2?

Also would plugging the holes with some soft althread help keep the thread crests crisp?
    I just need one more tool,just one!
  • Rich Carlstedt
    • Jul 2001

Weird
    We always asked the heat treater about shrinkage when doing HT (heat Treat)for smaller parts.
    Generally you can go with a Class GH-5 ( ground high -5 fit) which as I recall is about .001 to .002 over a standard tap. never had a problem with that
    Shrink and "warpage" occur, so long thread holes may be a problem ....like 2 + inches for example
    Don't worry about it being too big, the H.T. makes the steel stronger.
    We always put sacraficial (unplated ) screws in a blind hole, as you commented on.
    Rich
    Green Bay, WI

Comment

• fishfrnzy
      • Oct 2005

Can't find the resource at the moment but from memory the A2 should be better and I think the distortion is in the 1% or less range.

Comment

• Toolguy
        • Jan 2010

Tool Steel

As a general rule, the air hardening steels have less distortion than those that are quenched in a liquid. For what you are doing, you shouldn't have any problems either way.
        Kansas City area

Comment

• wierdscience
          • Jan 2003

Thanks for the replys.Okay I am going with A-2,easier to treat anyway.

The crossection is only going to be 1/4" at the widest point,so distortion over the length won't be an issue.

I may try tapping the holes in a sample first,if they still thread good,if not I know H5 taps are in my future.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• Juergenwt
            • Sep 2010

A-2 Small holes - No change.
            O-1 Small holes - No change to slightly larger.
            In general - Tool steel like O-1 will shrink on the outer dim. and holes will open up.
            Air hardening tool steel - very little change.

CRS will grow on the outer dim. and holes will shrink. How much depends on how much case is asked for.
            Last edited by Juergenwt; 10-15-2010, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X