X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black Forest
    • Jan 2010

South Bend lathe on German Ebay?

This lathe is on German Ebay. Do any of you know what model it is?

It is not far from me and I always hear of you all talking about your South Bend lathes. Maybe it might not be a bad thing for me to buy!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!
  • jimmstruk
    • Jun 2005

I do not read german,but the lathe appears to be a 9 inch with taper attachment. Is 380 volts a common standard in germany? JIM
    jim

Comment

• Bguns
      • Mar 2005

Looks like a WWII vintage Heavy 10...

I do read german...

Model is 10L, catalog number is on change gear cover, serial number is on right end of bed between V and flat.

250mm is ~10 inch Spindle hole of 35mm lets you use 5C collets

Not a bad size.

South Bends are nothing special, most have soft ways and plain spindle bearings.

They just had about the right quality for the price, at the time they were made.

And many were used in schools...

Last edited by Bguns; 10-17-2010, 04:11 AM.

Comment

• Black Forest
        • Jan 2010

Thanks, Yes 380 volts is standard here in Germany. The nice thing about Germany is we have 3 phase almost everywhere. Except for the house rooms I have 3 phase outlets in every room practically.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• the kid
          • Aug 2010

don't read german but that looks like a very nice, maybe recently restored condition and if I had the money and the price was right I would snatch it up, these are fairly desirable and a nice step up from the more common 9" workshop lathes, many people with the workshop lathes wish they had the heavy 10.

Comment

• JCHannum
            • Nov 2001

Agreed that it is a Heavy Ten with a taper attachment and the long bed. It was probably a toolroom lathe at one time in its history. The pipe leg base is 40's-50's vintage.

It is a good home shop and light industrial lathe, if not too badly used. This one does not look too bad, but I doubt it could be classified as rebuilt. Maybe cleaned up, painted and repowered. Someone thought it was in good enough condition to warrant investing that amount of time and money in. (or, conversely found it was too worn after the investment and decided to dump it.) I always recommend a physical inspection if possible, but at the current price, you can't be hurt too badly, you could part it out and recover your investment.

The only thing that might be a drawback for you is that it is an Imperial machine, and unless it has the metric change gears, only inch threading can be done.
            Jim H.

Comment

• MuellerNick

Now do you intend to collect lathes? You must have got a serious infection lately!

Looks like a paint job, electrical installation a good job. If the proice stays reasonable ... SB isn't very attractive here.

Nick

Comment

Here is the ad translated by Google:

Voltage: 380Volt Tool type: konvensionell
                Weight (kg): about 300kg Manufacturer: South Bend Lathe Works USA
                Product Type: Lathe

Hi, You are bidding on a used Leitspindeldrehbank with base. The lathe is in good condition and ready for use.

The lathe is about 1.70 meters long, 0.65 meters wide and 1.20 meters high.
                AC Motor 380 Volt

The peak width is about 80 cm, max. Turning diameter 250 mm Dared lie

Turning diameter 150 mm above the top slide.

The spindle bore is 35 mm.

Back at the top slide is a guide rail for taper turning.

In addition, a reduction gear can be engaged.

The electrical system of the machine is completely new.

For the rotational Bank.:
                A three-jaw chuck 165 mm with inside and outside jaws
                A replacement for the trapezoidal screw Quersuport is included.

Machine can of course be previously visited.

The machine must be picked up in 69509 Mِrlenbach, estimated weight approx 300 kg

Comment

• squirrel
                  • Mar 2009

Haben Sie versucht, Google Wort Affe zu übersetzen?

Comment

• Black Forest
                    • Jan 2010

Monkey's!

I asked the seller if he had the change gears. Reply was no but I could buy them in USA.

So I did not buy the lathe. It sold for around $1000.00

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
                      • Oct 2004

i had mine made in the uk ..cost about £50 if i remember rightly ..its not a complete set ..the complete set does metric pitches that are not in use ./.so could not see the sense of paying for those extra gears .

all the best.markj

Comment

Working...
                      X