PDA

View Full Version : As promised, my new lathe!

rockrat
12-03-2003, 10:18 PM
Well, today was the day. The day my lathe came home. It took a little work to squeeze it in, but it seems to like it here. I have to give it a little cleaning. All of the 2002 students signed the power box on the back and sides. I might leave that on there. A reminder of the day when a high school senior could go out and get a paying job.

I have started to think about the power source. The machine has a 220V 3 ph. motor in it. I have a 3 ph 440V line in the corner of my yard. I have yet to call the power company and see what the monthly utility would be. I know that there are transformers at work that I could scrounge. Then I need to compare that to a rotary phase converter. Maybe I'll just clean it first, think more about power later.

http://img3.photobucket.com/albums/v12/rockrat/

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 12-03-2003).]

I'll get this link to work yet!

L Webb
12-03-2003, 10:33 PM
You look like a proud Papa.
Nice looking machine. I know you will enjoy using it.
Congratulations.

Les

Paul Gauthier
12-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Nice

------------------
Paul G.

JCHannum
12-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Looks like a nice machine.
make sure you are sitting down when utility co. gives prace to connect you to 3 phase IF they will.
I recommend a VFD over a phase convertor. It will not cost any more and you will be light years ahead in features.

BFHAMR
12-03-2003, 11:04 PM
Congratulations! Looks like a winner to me.

Dan

G.A. Ewen
12-03-2003, 11:45 PM
First Class!!!!

Rustybolt
12-04-2003, 12:31 AM
Nice lookin' lathe, but the guy is kinda scarey lookin.

Joel
12-04-2003, 12:42 AM
That is one sweet machine! Let us know what the power company says.

charlie coghill
12-04-2003, 12:43 AM
I like it lotsa levers and buttons.
good luck with it and getting the power compay to hook you up. If you do check with the power Co. let us know how much they wanted to hook you up.
charlie

Al Messer
12-04-2003, 12:43 AM
Congratulations! I don't blame you for grinning so widely! Hope you have loads of fun with it.

CCWKen
12-04-2003, 02:29 AM
That must be you with the pork eaten' grin. That thing has more dials and buttons than an antique radio! Reminds me of my old 57 Chrysler. Sure looks cold there too.

Yea, keep us posted on 3-phase cost. I've got 3-phase available on the pole and was thinking of converting the shop. Down here, you just pay for the line(s) from the pole to the wet-cap pigtails. The transformers are provided. Of course, the meter loop is "customer provided" though. I put in both the meter loops here. (House and Shop) As long as they are spec, the hook-up crew doesn't care. Saved about $600. Then again, we just country folk out here.

Thrud
12-04-2003, 03:07 AM
I see you got a cheshire cat with the lathe!
inda ugly little spud, ain't he! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

You sure you can finger out all them buttons? You probably will find the VFD a sweeter deal than 3Ph.

Have fun with the new toy!

IOWOLF
12-04-2003, 10:04 AM
YES, WE HAVE A WINNER.

GREAT LOOKIN LATHE, Congrats!

Jay

dplugs39
12-04-2003, 10:13 AM
The last picture should be named "Give me some juice, and turn me loose"...It looks like a winner.......Dale Detrich

DR
12-04-2003, 01:57 PM
That looks like a "real" lathe.

Do you know what brand it is? Yeah, I know it says SB, but I don't think they ever made anything like that.

Michael Az
12-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Great lathe but don't squeese it so hard, may break something. I also vote for the vfd.
Michael

------------------

jfsmith
12-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Great lookin' lathe. Good for you.

Jerry

rockrat
12-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Added a few more photos. And I really don’t know who that ugly looking guy is. Must be the wife’s boyfriend. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I will keep you all posted on the 3 phase. I hope to call on Monday. Funny story on the 3p pole in the corner of the yard. A crew came along one day to run power to the pump house down the road. There was a fellow in a nice white starched shirt with a hard hat on. I guessed that he was the boss. He ended up being the engineer. I always wanted 3p for the "new" garage that I was planning, so I thought that I would ask. The first question out of the mouth of Mr. Starched Shirt was "You couldn’t give me a good reason to run 3 phase to your place". I proceeded to ask him if it was 220 or 480, how much load was available etc. He brightened up a little and asked why I would want 3p in the house. Machine shop was my reply and he just smiled. "I'll take care of ya" he responded. The next day I noticed that they deviated a bit from their planed path and I ended up with a pole in my yard. 480 3ph hanging off of it. I also noticed that they also left a tap of some sort on the pole. Most would have been disturbed but I was ecstatic.

I hadn't thought of a VFD. Might be just the ticket.

I just jotted down the motor numbers so that I can start looking around. Strange motor, 220 3phase. I always thought 3 phase was 208 or something strange. 5 hp, that should turn some chips.

I don’t have any doubt that it is a South Bend. The maintenance manual that came with it looks like authentic south bend. Everything on it says south bend, including the chuck. I'm guessing the date to be in the mid 80's.

I just can't wait to get power to it. What shall I turn first? I should probably make some candle stick holders out of brass to appease the mistress. rr

LWJ33
12-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Pretty Nifty--and it even came with a starter layer of chips.

JIM

LWJ33
12-04-2003, 11:06 PM
Pretty Nifty--and it even came with a starter layer of chips.

JIM

BFHAMR
12-04-2003, 11:43 PM
rockrat, are you sure that the spindle motor isn't a dual voltage motor(220/440)? I see on one of your pictures that the control transformer in the electrical cabinet has a 440 volt tap. It may be possible that the machine will run on 220 or 440. Of course it might not be economical to bring in the three phase service from the pole in the yard.

Dan

Jason J
12-04-2003, 11:47 PM
You know that thing bares a striking family resemblence to a 15" x 60" Holbrook that I own, but have never set up. Hopefully this winter. Your SB is clearly newer, but so many features of it are very close to the Holbrook. The belts and motor placement, the position of the levers on the gear head. Even the the shape of the compound and the little troughs that drain the oil back into the chip pan. What did you have to give for that beast and what did shipping run?

JCHannum
12-05-2003, 12:02 AM
Check the nameplate carefully, it should have voltage and RPM listed as well as HP, frame number and other information. Most three phase motors are 208, 230, 240/460, 480 volt. Some are single voltage only, the leads are tied together internally, and cannot be used on other voltages.
It is important to determine the voltage for which the machine is wired before hooking it up, and whether it is adaptable to dual voltage. I would hate to see you, if you are lucky enough to get three phase power, to find you have wrong voltage and need additional transformers to operate. Makes a difference with VFD's too.

Tim Clarke
12-05-2003, 01:18 AM
Just curious, is your motor a 2 speed? If so, it's probably a single voltage.

I just bought a 7 1/2 hp rotary phase converter to run the 5 hp motor on my lathe.Since the lathe has a reeves type vari-speed drive, this motor starts hard. The 7 1/2 converter starts it fine at the top speed setting, but I have yet to try it with something heavy in the chuck. I went with the converter because I plan to add at least one more 3phase motor, when I upgrade to a real milling machine.

Maybe if I can figure out how to post a photo, I'll show you all my Rebuilt Turnmaster, before I ding up the paint job.

TC

wierdscience
12-05-2003, 02:14 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rockrat:
[B]Added a few more photos. And I really don’t know who that ugly looking guy is.

That last pic,are you sure thats legal in your state? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

"I'll take care of ya" he responded. The next day I noticed that they deviated a bit from their planed path and I ended up with a pole in my yard. 480 3ph hanging off of it. I also noticed that they also left a tap of some sort on the pole. Most would have been disturbed but I was ecstatic.

Ecstatic?Hell they could put a sub-station in my yard!My guess is that engineer might need a good machineshop once in a while http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//wink.gif

uute
12-06-2003, 02:17 AM
Nice Machine!

Can anyone tell me what the bottom shaft is for? The keyed shaft that runs across front below carrage, has two slide rings with triangle shaped blades.

Stops for power feed?

uute

Falcon
12-06-2003, 05:51 PM
What dose the Volunteer Fire Department, Have to do with 3 phase?

wierdscience
12-06-2003, 09:32 PM
About as much as a PHD has to do with put'in up fences http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

rockrat
12-07-2003, 06:32 PM
More on the ol lathe.

Leveled the lathe today. Only took 2 hours. Had to cut some spacing shims. Funny, I always thought that the garage looked level. Guess again.

I have a friend that noted, that this lathe casting was bought from company XYZ in T country overseas and then built up by South bend. I have a call in to Lebond (as of May 2002, Lebond stocks and holds informatin for SB lathes per SB operator) to find out the entire story. I also hope to find out what type of change gears came with it, if any.

The motor is a 2 speed constant torque motor. 5 Hp, 220v, 132M frame which makes it an international motor. I have been looking over rotary phase converters and plans. I have a 3 ph - 5 hp motor that I'm not using and one set of plans claims that you can make a rotory phase converter with an equal hp motor. I always thought that it had to be a little bigger. Might call the local motor shop in Columbus Oh and ask.

Tim Clarke, post away. Photobucket is a great location to link to.

UUTE, yes the bottom bar has 2 cams on it that activate a pin in the botom of the saddle. The bar turns to move the cams out of the way if needed.

Someone was curious about shipping, $500 removed it from the old location, drove it 1 hour+ and put it in my garage.

Also, got some photos of my other little machines in the Photobucket. 7" shaper and an Atlas Horz. mill. Fun fun fun. rr

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 12-07-2003).]

uute
12-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the reply RockRat, always lots to learn!

I gotta go check out your shaper pics now!

uute

docsteve66
12-08-2003, 01:32 AM
RR: Horse power ratings on electric motors are kind of hard to pin down. If you keep putting more load on induction type motors, you reach a point where they lose speed AND torque FAST. So long as the motor maintains its rated speed as you add torque the HP DEVELOPED (VS potential Hp) is increasing. That HP will in most cases greatly exceed the "rated horse power". The rated HP is mostly determined by how hot the motor is designed to operate at. Hotter means shorter life.

All that said, you will seldom ever load your 5HP motor to produce 5 HP. So your rotary converter will seldom need to produce its 5 plus HP that is needed to run you lathe.

You have it, use it,. Watch temps and if either over heat, reduce the load. BOth motors are going to heat more than they would on true three phase (at the same load). You've nothing to lose by trying- the parts will be usable on larger motor (excepting the heaters if you use a motor starter). Operating temps should be on name plate where you found the frame info. Stay well under that temp if you can. Rule of thumb used to say that for every five or ten degrees F under the max you increased the motor life by a significant percentage, same for over temps but life expectancy goes down very fast. Course at some temp you let the smoke out- life expectancy has then probably been exceeded.