PDA

View Full Version : FREIGHT, EQUIPMENT

INTERPOLATE
12-02-2003, 01:08 PM
I don't have much experience with handling my own incoming freight. I am in a residential area, easy access. Not in a metropolitan area but 15 mins from Interstate 10.
I have looked around a bit on-line and filled out a couple automated forms and freight for the same weight (1500 lbs) is all over the map.
I think the residential area thing is killing me.

Whats the best way to get a freight quote? Broker? Any recommendations???

How about on procedure; Would it be unheard of to pick it up at one of their stations, stops, or even do a off the freeway trailer to rental truck transfer?
Are there terms for theses various options (other than being cheap)

Thanks for any tips.

DJ

lynnl
12-02-2003, 01:45 PM
I'm just as green as you on this, but I'll share my recent experience. I bought a 7" Logan shaper off ebay, weight was said to be 350-400#. Seller (in Rockford, IL) put it on a pallet and shrink wrapped it (for $50) and shipped it via Yellow trucking. Shipping wt was listed as 568#, cost to Decatur, AL was $207 (Ouch! I was expecting about $75-100, based on other quotes I'd gotten in the past for other machines...but not actually bought.) I had it shipped to the Yellow Frt. Terminal and picked it up there and hauled it home on a utility trailer. Don't recall the exact amount, but it was gonna be mucho more dollars for home delivery (like maybe 2.5 times). Was told that I got a "favorable" rate because the seller shipped it on his account with Yellow, and just included that fee in my total cost. Would've been more if I'd dealt with Yellow directly. Hope this helps.

INTERPOLATE
12-02-2003, 01:48 PM
lynnl,

Good info.. Thanks!

docsteve66
12-02-2003, 05:05 PM
INTERPOL: I-10 is one long highway. Help if we knew which end (atlantic or pacific) you are on.

I have have stuff delivered to shop in industrial loop, Orange Park. If that would help, I think I can arrange for drop off. We have a fork lift.
That any help?

Fees are much less when delivered to the loop. I THINK ups is same thing, never checked though.

lynnl
12-02-2003, 05:26 PM
I think he's on the other end Steve. ...at least the profile shows L.A. (the other L.A., not Lower Alabama http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif )

Tomzhere
12-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Try to find/make a friend with a local business with forklift where you can have your items delivered. I do the same thing, I work at a large machine shop and have all my equipment delivered there. Then the real trick of getting it home and up my driveway. Good Luck!

So why are trucking fees so high to residential customers. Anyone?

Evan
12-02-2003, 06:37 PM
In most cases the equipment will have to be unloaded from the line haul truck and reloaded on a delivery truck. In most jurisdictions regular line haul trucks are not allowed on residential streets. Exceptions are made for moving vans and similar.

lynnl
12-02-2003, 07:14 PM
In my case a significant price difference would have resulted from my NOT having an account with the carriers, whereas the seller did. Then I'd have paid an even larger premium for the home delivery. Lots of variables in this process.

INTERPOLATE
12-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the responses guys..
I am going to work on finding someone in a commercial zone with forklift.

DJ

Al Messer
12-02-2003, 08:02 PM
lynnl, Yellow Freight wanted a lot more than that for a terminal to terminal shipment of a Clausing Mill for me. When Congress de-regulated the industry in the late 1970's, we were told that it was for the "good of the consumer, that freight rates would come down." HA! All it did was put a lot of companies out of business and a lot of Americans out of work!!

JCHannum
12-02-2003, 08:14 PM
I avoid handling anything that will not ship UPS, but have www.freightquote.com (http://www.freightquote.com) in my file for checking rates.
I know nothing about them.

NSDesign
12-02-2003, 08:35 PM
Interpolate,

I can't offer much on pricing, but I can share my experience. I had both a full size vertical mill and a 13 x 40 lathe shipped to me. In both cases, the machines were shipped to the local frieght terminals (CF and yellow) and held for pick up. The guys at the terminal were really helpful and careful loading my trailer. Regardless of price it worked out much better for me, since I could show up at the terminal anytime from 8 to 8 rather than waiting around the house for them to show. The only warning is to make sure that the terminal actually has a ramp or ground level access so they can load your trailer. Al, respecting your price experience with yellow - I have to counter with the fact that they were the most helpful - the dock guys spent an hour salting and shovelling thier ramp in a snow storm, so they could safely load my lathe.

Good luck,

Alan

ibewgypsie
12-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Sometimes it costs big money to deliver in rural areas. A truck driver can spend all day looking for a location that does not have a sign or adequate turning radius corners, dead end sub divisions. We paid the neighbor $50 to load the studebaker motor onto a trailer, the truck driver lost a tire turning the corner below My house, 90 degree and uphill, it caught the trailer and tore the tire up. The tire cost over 380$. So loading into "His" truck cost him over $430..

I went to the terminal to pick up our Motorcycle lift. Much cheaper.

I went to pick up my shop tools, gave me a chance to look the seller in the eyes and determine honesty before I counted out my money. I rented a Hertz truck w/catpillar diesel. A trip I still remember quite well.

L Webb
12-02-2003, 10:49 PM
DJ, I am in East Los Angeles and have a forklift.
Let me know if I'm close enough to help.

Les

docsteve66
12-02-2003, 11:43 PM
Lynn sez" think he's on the other end Steve. ...at least the profile shows L.A. (the other L.A., not Lower Alabama )"

Man, had I known I was that safe i'd have been a real nice guy- offered firmly to have his stuff delivered here and I'd give free transport north south west to limit of 300/400 miles. Even 1000 miles if with in 50 miles of I-10. Like telling bartender to "set em up for the (empty) house, any thing they want til I say stop, and you have a beer too" I am cheap!!!!?

INTERPOLATE
12-03-2003, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the offer guys! I live in Indio, which is near Palm Springs.
I have a couple prospects I am going to hit up with receiving goods for a few bucks/cases of beer...

L Webb
12-03-2003, 10:07 AM
You should be able to find somebody to help.
Too bad I'm too far away.
My forklift runs quite well on cinnamon rolls and maple bars. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Les

wierdscience
12-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Well the best thing would be to make friends with a local business that has a forlift and dock,liftgate trucks add expense.

Also I have gotten the best rates from AAACooper,Milan,Yellow and R&l,Also if you setup an account with the company so they have your name,adress,phone number and location in the computer it helps a lot on the price,most of the trucks now a days have onboard GPS oR Qual-com so when they punch in your adress or scan the ticket it atomatically routes them to you.

hugboy
12-08-2003, 08:48 PM
try freightquote.com I have had some good luck with them.another way is sign on to the yahoo group called "auto transport"
I just had a surface grinder shipped to me
and it only cost me half of what a thucking co. wanted

INTERPOLATE
12-08-2003, 09:05 PM
I'm not finding a yahoo group with the name: auto transport.
This sounds good if it what I think it is. I'd imagine used by people with empty cargo space..
I'll give freight quote a try...
Thanks to all for the info...
DJ

debequem
12-08-2003, 10:29 PM
I think all freight lines can do this, but I had a lathe delivered by Forward Air. I made arangements to pick it up at on of their stations.

I rented a small flatbed trailer and they loaded it using a forklift at no extra charge. I think it is cheaper to pick up this way than residential delivery.

Also, you won't need to pay extra for them to deliver to the ground. They prefer loading docs and charge extra to deliver to ground. However, there is no such charge at a station.

Marv