• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cuemaker
    • Nov 2004

OSG die sets.... group buy

See dies and prices here...

I am going to be getting some dies sets and would like to know if anybody here would be interested in purchasing with me...I work for a company that gets a very steep discount, so the price would be considerably less than anywhere else.... I will either be buying from Widell (US made) or OSG...

I have 2 people going in... anymore would be helpful... willing to do just partials also

Should be ordering by Friday...

Thanks
  • aboard_epsilon
    • Oct 2004

$837.51

think ill stick with car boot sales ..

all the best.markj

Comment

• cuemaker
      • Nov 2004

Its really not a bad buy at 50% off suggested retail...

Comment

• DR
        • Jan 2003

$837, wow.

Buy a used self opening die head off ebay, Geometric, etc, maybe $250 max.

Use the rest of the almost $600 to buy chasers in various sizes as needed.

Then you'll really have something.

Those small "threading" dies are not much good for anything, even OSG brand.

Actually, that's a bit too harsh a statement, they are good for repairing damaged threads.

Comment

• aboard_epsilon
          • Oct 2004

well they are good for going over your threads that youve just made on the lathe ..

you can also thread half deep on the lathe and use them.

try using them on full depth .and you end up with a twisted snake of a thread ..

all the best.markj

Comment

• MuellerNick

try using them on full depth .and you end up with a twisted snake of a thread ..
            What? Dies are the quickest way to make nice threads.
            I don't know how to twist a thread!

Nick

Comment

• Fasttrack
              • Jul 2005

Ditto Nick.

I've never had any trouble making nice threads with a die except when using old, dull dies...

Comment

• JCHannum
                • Nov 2001

Using a tailstock dieholder will usually give good results but a thread cut with a plain die much longer than the thickness of the die will start to wander as often as not.
                Jim H.

Comment

I have had poor results with Chinese Dies.

Comment

Comment

• MuellerNick

You had them two times? You should have learned from the first experience.

Nick

Comment

• DR
                        • Jan 2003

A major drawback with the small dies is they are so thin.

You have a lead-in on one side where the cutting happens. Following that you have a few turns of thread in the die to guide it to maintain the correct pitch. Those following turns of thread also have to act to force the die to feed forward down the blank as the die is rotated (or as the work is rotated).

The feeding forward causes the die to "shave" the thread flanks as it progresses down the blank.

Kind of hard to describe, but a well known problem in the threading business.

This problem can be eliminated by mounting the die in a holder on the lathe carriage. Set the threading gears of the lathe for the die's thread pitch and power feed the die down the blank.

Even with the lathe power feeding method, you still have the problem that only the first thread or so in the die is doing the cutting leading to short die life from dulling.

As I said previously, $800 is a lot of money to spend for tooling that doesn't do much of a job under the best of circumstances.

Comment

• Ken_Shea
                          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by MuellerNick
                          You had them two times? You should have learned from the first experience.

Nick
                          Yep, kick me once, shame on you, kick me twice, shame on me

Comment

• lynnl
                            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by DR
                            Even with the lathe power feeding method, you still have the problem that only the first thread or so in the die is doing the cutting leading to short die life from dulling.
                            Am I misunderstanding that statement, or am I misunderstanding how a die is supposed to be used.

I've always started the die by feeding the work piece into the flared out side which only cuts partial threads. In which case it is the last couple of threads that do most of the cutting, at least to full depth. Am I doing it wrong?

Regardless, I always find die threading difficult, especially getting it started. Are you supposed to turn the work down to a taper on the end?
                            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• rohart
                              • Aug 2002

markj: I made much the same point as you as an aside in a recent thread. I suspect the fault is in my dieholder. I know mine may be a bit ropey. I certainly recognise what you're talking about. I get it all the time with threads of any length.
                              Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Working...
                              X