PDA

View Full Version : OT: eBay product warranties?

DICKEYBIRD
10-25-2010, 10:22 AM
I won a $230.00 refurb Dell PC for SWMBO yesterday and promptly got an email touting a 1 yr. warranty from "Square Trade" for $26.39. That seems like a good deal to me although my luck with computer stuff has been great. I've bought several cheap PC's over the years and none of them have had any hardware problems...knock wood.

What say ye all....take the deal or save the money & gamble?

garagemark
10-25-2010, 10:57 AM
I have never bought an extended warranty, and, knock on wood, I have not been bitten yet. Sometimes those warranties are so hard to collect upon that it's just a great big hassle.

JCHannum
10-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I did the same a couple of years ago with a laptop. It developed problems and was replaced, the second one developed different problems some time later, and was returned for a full refund.

No questions or hassles in either case. I don't remember details of the problems encountered, but the insurance was well worth its cost.

Ken_Shea
10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Yep, for $27 it would be good insurance.

Paul Alciatore
10-25-2010, 11:01 AM
That's slightly over 10% of the price for a warranty. You didn't say if "Square Trade" was the seller or perhaps just another company looking to piggy-back. You also didn't say anything about the terms of the sale. Was any warranty offered with the purchase price? If so, how long? Zero to 30 days is standard for E-Bay: in fact their menus don't even allow for any longer. Is it being sold as "working" or "as is"?

I have always resisted the pitch to buy extended warranties on new products as they are definitely priced to the seller's advantage. I have yet to loose on this policy. Most failures are either early or late in the life of a product and extended warranties target the mid-term where they are very rare.

But this is another case. Yes, the computer is probably in that mid-term part of it's life. But you don't know it's history. Did it break and require repairs previously? Also, consider the difficulty of getting them to actually fix it if it breaks. You would be dealing with an unknown company in a distant location. They would probably want you to pay shipping, perhaps both ways. That could be another $50 or more so you could be up to $75 or so for any future repair. A local shop could fix a lot of problems for that amount. If you have any computer skills, you could fix a lot of problems yourself.

Personally, I would just say no and take the risk.

DICKEYBIRD
10-25-2010, 11:20 AM
Thanks all.

It's a "seller refurb" lease turn-in from a decent sized co. with a 99.6% pos. feedback. It comes with a 90 day warranty. Dell Optima dual core Pentium D 3.4 gig, 2 gigs ram, 500 gig HD, DVDR, Win XP Pro, Open Office, etc. pre loaded. Looks like a decent deal to me. (??)

Thanks Paul, that's a very good point about the shipping and I hadn't considered that. Who knows what the warr co's shipping & handling policies are. Not cheap I'll bet!

I normally fix stuff myself (with ya'lls expert help) and I could get quite a few goodies from Enco for $26.39.:D

JCHannum
10-25-2010, 11:58 AM
As I recall, shipping was at Square Trade's expense, handled by a Return Goods Tag with shipper's UPS account attached. My first problem was early on, the second, after the 90 days had expired.

Shipping costs and other questions are easy enough to verify with Square Trade.