PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use roughing/finishing endmills?

johnc
10-27-2010, 03:58 PM
I noticed in Enco's last flyer that they had roughing/finishing endmills marked down. I'm curious if they work well, or if they are like a lot of multipurpose tools, and do neither function well.

I would be using them mainly with 6061 al.

Thanks

John

Toolguy
10-27-2010, 04:07 PM
I've used them a lot of times over the years. They work as a roughing cutter in that they break up the chips. That makes it so you can take a heavier cut than with a plain endmill plus reduce heat and chatter. They give a better finish than a corn cob roughing mill, but the quality of finish is dependent on the brand and quality of the particular tool. Most times they leave a series of fine lines parallel to the direction of feed. For Alum. use a 3 flute. For steel, a 4 or more flute.

Deja Vu
10-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I use roughing endmills on aluminum often. Bought a set and always grab for them first when a lot of material needs removing. The machine operates much smoother. I'm not familiar with a roughing/finishing bit though. With CNC, I program two cycles with a tool change of normal endmill on the final passes for finish.

chipmaker4130
10-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Depending on other requirements, you can just change the cutter height .020", make a fast pass and it comes out pretty smooth.