PDA

View Full Version : Loctite cure time?

Boucher
11-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I need to make a drill extension and am considering using Loctite. How long does it take for red Loctite to cure or harden? I have some of the Lockquick primer but thought that it was mostly a catylist to promote cure on metals that are not active to it.

Ken_Shea
11-01-2010, 09:31 PM
About 6 hours in steel, temperature is also a factor and I believe fit is as well, a loose slip fit may take longer.

TOOLZNTHINGS
11-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Hello,

I prefer to use the primer on all my Loctite applications. It will speed up cure time. You will probably have to go to their web site for guides on cure time if the info is not on your bottle. Temperature plays a big roll in the cure time.
If in doubt I like to wait for at least 12 hours on something that I have a concern about cure time.

Brian

mickeyf
11-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Silly question - How about "uncure time"? If you heat the loctited part to free it up, does the loctite remain "disabled" from that point onward, or do you have to get the thing apart before it cools down too much?

MFolks
11-01-2010, 10:23 PM
My experiance with the RED loctite's, is that once it's heated to loosen the grip (usually about 300-350 F), a new application will be needed as some elements are boiled away with the removal heat. Work quickly as it will set up fairly quickly.

I've found using a wire wheel is good way to remove solidified Loctite from fasteners.

MuellerNick
11-02-2010, 03:40 AM
If the surface is clean, the 643 can be very fast on steel. Sometimes too fast. After ten minutes, it can withstand the forces a drill extension requires.
1 hour is long enough, I made some small extensions (below 3 mm) and they all were quick to be used.

YMMV

Nick

JoeLee
11-02-2010, 07:24 AM
The age of your LocTite is also a determining factor in how long it will take to cure. The Mfg. told me that the shelf life once opened is 6 months. Well.......... I have a big bottle thats about 4 years old and it still works fine, it just takes a bit longer to cure. As far as heating to break the seal, once you heat it and it melts, any time after that even after the part cools.

JL...................

airsmith282
11-02-2010, 07:47 AM
full cure id leave it 24 hours but thats just me,

Ed P
11-02-2010, 07:51 AM
According to their catalog, gap, temperature, type of metal, type of loctite,
and whether or not an activator is used all affect cure time. It takes 24 hours for a full cure.

Ed P

Ken_Shea
11-02-2010, 08:05 AM
Could not find much on the 643, is that a Super Glue?
The OP mentions the Red which is a Loctite thread locker product.

MuellerNick
11-02-2010, 11:39 AM
full cure id leave it 24 hours but thats just me,

No doubt. But you don't need 100% strength therefore. I drill my drill extenders half of the length of the non-fluted part and that is more than enough.

But you can wait 24 hours if you want and have all time at your hands.

Nick

RWO
11-02-2010, 12:13 PM
I just made an extension for a 1/8" drill and used 609. The fit was about .002" oversize. I was in a hurry and pulled out the heat gun and gave it about a 15 sec shot of 500 deg air. When it cooled enough to handle, I put it in the chuck and there was no slippage drilling 12L14.

RWO

Bguns
11-02-2010, 12:57 PM
If you are drilling a very long hole into a prexisting kind of expensive tube.

The good old standby of silver soldering, works very well, and has a cure time of about 5 minutes. :)

Boucher
11-02-2010, 02:07 PM
I normally make drill extensions with silver solder. This time I used loctite and a light press fit. Cleaned with Acetone then NAPA cleaner / activator. Warmed it with the hot air gun and used it in about 30 min. This on a #7 drill. The first socket that I drilled came out considerably oversize. Started over and undersize. Reamed to size in light passes. I am curious as to how hard it is going to be to remove and install new drills in the loctite extensions versus the silver soldered ones.

I am going to make a tap extension with loctite and try it. I will let it cure longer before using it.