PDA

View Full Version : Frozen tundra?

RussZHC
11-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Noob for sure, but checking "lathe" on ebay, not sure I understand how this is supposed to work...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Turnus-ICE-LATHE-refrigeration-/350394099281?pt=BI_Lathes&hash=item51951da651

While I would not have thought of using a lathe for carving ice (think center piece for tables at a fancy do) I understand how it would work and would not wood lathes make more sense? but with the above the only thing I can think of is somehow ice is kept cool by the refrigerant in the inner "drum" so you can work on it longer?
Close ups look to be connected to a chilling unit of some sort...

But does that not mean the finished product will be like a cylinder...so interesting but ?

winchman
11-03-2010, 01:27 AM
It appears to have some use in making gold chains and other jewelry.

http://goldmachinery.com/machinery/7899.htm

airrj
11-03-2010, 04:42 AM
I'll show it to some of the techs in the lab here in McMurdo and see if anyone here has seen anything like it. I know that we saw Ice cores, but I have never seen them turning them.

R.J.

Mcgyver
11-03-2010, 07:34 AM
I've toured plants that do that. Its for making those flat gold chains some like to adorn themselves with.

From a machine that forms the chain out of wire, roundish links like in any other chain, then its rolled flat; squishable, malleable gold. Then the flattened chain is wrapped around those and drums and frozen in place. A skim cut is taken...after doing both sides you get that perfectly flat and smooth flat chain.

RussZHC
11-03-2010, 10:39 AM
OK, so I was confused by description...one really is "ice", the other has little to do with "ice" per se.

As per replies and methodology, would this have other uses?
I have never thought about how they make shim stock for example, could this method be used or would it not accurate enough?

rohart
11-03-2010, 11:20 AM
My thought on shim stock would be, no. Thre must be moisture between the work and the drum, and winding chain on leaves spaces for the moisture to get in.

Sticking shim stock to a drum would leave dry parts or water-filled 'bubbles'. Unless the drum was porous, of course, but that's another story.

Got to be good at collecting the chips !

Mcgyver
11-03-2010, 12:28 PM
M
Got to be good at collecting the chips !

this was 20 years ago, gold was say 400/oz.....he told me when they replaced the office carpet the reclaiming process recovered 250k from the dust in the carpet. yeah they were very careful with the chips, lots of big armed security guys and careful entry/exit procedures too. :D

J. R. Williams
11-03-2010, 01:08 PM
The lathe is set up for turning rubber to be installed on rolls.

JRW