PDA

View Full Version : Question for IOWOLF?

G.A. Ewen
12-03-2003, 10:28 AM
From ANOTHER SURVEY thread "Ihave subscribed to both for over 10 years.
And have submited several articles."

Under what name? (if you don't mind me asking)

IOWOLF
12-03-2003, 11:37 AM
Under JAY WULFF, though, THEY ALL WERENT PUBLISHED.
PIM, vol. 9 #2 Saveing some pinched fingers.

why?

G.A. Ewen
12-03-2003, 02:31 PM
I am very interested in the work that other people do. Looking at, and reading about, the projects of others is, I think, a good way to get to know someone. The members of this BBS live at the four corners of the earth so unfortunately it is unlikely that we will meet in person.

I would be interested in finding out how many other members have submitted work to the Village Press.

OK, OK, I'm just snoopy. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//rolleyes.gif http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

lynnl
12-03-2003, 03:37 PM
Hey, I like that too.., ie. kinda 'knowing' and interacting with the creators/authors of the articles I read. It adds another, more personal dimension to the articles, and at times a chance to offer compliments to the authors. Also lends a little more credence to the BB inputs, being able to see their work. I'd hope all contributors would make themselves known here, if their username doesn't make it evident. All are certainly justified in feeling some pride in your work.

IOWOLF
12-03-2003, 04:49 PM
COOL!takeing another survey then, hum?

well, I dont know, I met rustybolt.
I had to bribe him to come see my shop though. nice guy.IMHO.

and if that guy from KC would ever come up for coffee, we could meet also. LOL.

[This message has been edited by IOWOLF (edited 12-03-2003).]

pgmrdan
12-03-2003, 07:59 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

IOWOLF
12-03-2003, 08:18 PM
about two or three hours i think,all interstate.
but havent been there in a while, dont need to go to the big city.

Besides i got Omaha 5 miles away.

pgmrdan
12-03-2003, 09:21 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

Dick
12-04-2003, 12:28 AM
Ok, IOWOLF. After reading about all the good deals you've found right under my nose lately I'll have to start following you around and pick up any scraps you've left behind. Cripes, I've never seen anything worth buying in the pawn shops around here.

Dick in Omaha

IOWOLF
12-04-2003, 09:10 AM
sols, down town, and you should have went to the Arnold t&d auction last year in CB.

DO YOU WANT A W/s #4 TURRET LATHE FOR $500?
Ipassed it up for lack of room.

Oh, we should have coffee some time.

[This message has been edited by IOWOLF (edited 12-04-2003).]

Doc Nickel
12-04-2003, 10:25 AM
Hey IO: From that tidbit you threw out in the other thread, about the paintball porting: I'd be interested in chatting about that with you if I could- In fact, I may have already, are you Fred Moulton?

Doc.

SGW
12-04-2003, 11:29 AM
I've submitted several articles over the years, starting in 1985, either as Stephen G. Wellcome or Steve Wellcome. Then I didn't do much for a while, until I got laid off in 1991 and suddenly had 1) lots of time and 2) a great need for money. Nothing I've done has been particularly profound, but I think it's been useful.

I'd encourage others to give it a try. The rate of payment won't make you rich, but it's something, and based on some of the threads in this forum, some of you guys have a lot of knowledge to share. It's great that you do it here for free, but formalizing it as a magazine article may help both to make it more coherent in presentation, and more permanently available.

Neil has some "guidelines for authors" that he'll send out on request.

IOWOLF
12-04-2003, 03:53 PM
WHAT? YOU GOT PAID?

I got 4 or 5 free magazines, I dont think I got money though, just satisfaction.

and Doc, I sent you an e-mail explaining it all.
Jay.

G.A. Ewen
12-04-2003, 04:44 PM
SGW,
I really enjoyed your last two articals in MW. I am going to look up the others.

spkrman15
12-04-2003, 06:48 PM
For us new guys, maybe you could give us the title of your articles and around when they were published. I would be interested in reading them or finding out what i missed

Spkrman15

G.A. Ewen
12-04-2003, 07:09 PM
spkrman15,
Go to the Village Press home page
Clik on one of the magazines
Clik Article index
Clik on Author
Clik on HSM,MW or PIM
Clik on the name of the author
a list will come up with title, issue and page number.

John Foster
12-05-2003, 07:08 PM
John Foster, Des Moines, IA. Retired vocational machine shop teacher.
MW Feb/Mar '03 pg. 34 "Gear Repair"
MW Dec/Jan '03 pg. 18 "Improving Lathe"
HSM Sept/Oct '02 pg. 50 "Making Collets"
MW Dec/Jan '01 pg. 33 "Candleholders"
Neil says "coming soon", "Telescoping Taper Attachment for the 9" & 10" S.B."
Plus a couple of short comments that were published.
The hardest part for me was the pictures as I am no photographer. From the looks of this board, the digital camera should take care of that but it seems I remember Neil having troubles using those.
Give it a try and show us what you are doing. Some of the projects I see here put my stuff to shame.
Oh yes, I got paid and got extra copies, too!
John
The only problem with black and white photos is that you won't make the front cover!

[This message has been edited by John Foster (edited 12-05-2003).]

SGW
12-05-2003, 09:42 PM
The last I heard, Neil likes good-quality black and white prints to work with; digital photos aren't as good for him.

He'll take a computer file (Microsoft Word) for the actual acticle though. The last batch of articles I did, I sent him a hardcopy of the article, hardcopies of the drawings, the photos (clearly labeled on the back which is which, including which way is up), and a diskette with a .DOC and a .RTF file of the article and .PDF files of the drawings. He uses a graphics package I don't have, but he said he can deal with .PDF. I think he (or somebody) re-draws the drawings, anyway. The main thing is to make it clear what it what and how it all goes together.

But give Neil a jingle to get the "official" word if you have any ideas for an article.

IOWOLF, don't give up hope on the rest of your articles being published, unless you got a flat-out rejection. I think one of mine didn't show up in a magazine until two years after I submitted it.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 12-05-2003).]

IOWOLF
12-11-2003, 08:35 AM
COOL, (holding my breath)

Dr. Rob
12-11-2003, 09:43 AM
This is great- I love it when you see posts from someone a world away, and know who they really are in real life. Or recognize someone's literary fingerprints, and know who wrote it, even if it's on another BBS or ebay or whatever. You keep running into people you know on the internet. It's a small world after all, even with X billion anonymous users.

So, yeah- let's hear it from the authors!

IOWOLF
12-11-2003, 04:07 PM
OK, spill it, who do you know? and how?