PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the day.....

pro70z28
11-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Today I grabbed a tootsie roll pop from the leftover Halloween candy. It became apparent the tootsie roll pop was tougher than my jaw, so ................
I found if I put it in the floor press, snug the ram up on the tootsie roll pop, then give it about two pumps it cracks the tootsie roll pop like an egg. Once cracked, simply remove the wrapper & you have an easy to chew tootsie roll pop. I've only tried this on the chocolate tootsie roll pop so far, but I'm thinkin' it will work equally well on any flavor.

It's been one of those days. As I did this I thought to myself, I'm almost 58 years old and I can honestly say this is the first time I've used a 20 ton press to crack a tootsie roll pop. My first thought was to use a hammer but that I thought would be too uncontrollable and might make a mess of the surrounding area and render the tootsie roll pop useless.

Any other creative uses for shop tools out there, or should I seek professional help?

Walter
11-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Seek professional help! Quickly!! I highly suggest someone 10-14 years old with a sweet tooth. It's possible that with help you will find other amusing uses for shop tools and candy :D

recoilless
11-08-2010, 06:15 PM
I thought you were supposed to take your time getting to the center...
Tomorrow, I look forward to seeing your technical insight on getting paint to dry instantly;)

pro70z28
11-08-2010, 06:21 PM
These days I don't have time to get to the center the old fashioned way.

If we would have gotten enough 10-14 year old trick or treaters I wouldn't have had this dilemma. :D

Frank Ford
11-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Most everyone I know learned to peel garlic by taking individual cloves and squishing them on the cutting board to crack the skins off.

Here's how to do it with your shop air compressor:

Separate the cloves from the bulb, and stick them into a regular drinking glass (I use a 12-oz. one).

Stick your blowgun into the glass, cover the opening with your hand and blast away at 90 psi until the garlic is all peeled. Takes ten seconds or so.

I step outside or to an area where the floor already needs sweeping.

PeteM
11-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Stick your blowgun into the glass, cover the opening with your hand and blast away at 90 psi until the garlic is all peeled. Takes ten seconds or so.

To add -- be sure your airline lubricator is filled with extra virgin olive oil.

jugs
11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Frank Ford

To add -- be sure your airline lubricator is filled with extra virgin olive oil.

Could you get the virgin to peel it for you

john
:)

pro70z28
11-08-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm not much for garlic, but if i were I'd give it a try. :D

[I have 2 pre-stressed tootsie roll pops setting on my desk as I type. Consumption times have not yet been scheduled].

MotorradMike
11-08-2010, 07:34 PM

This is something I really don't get.

Who has ever had an extra virgin.

I thought the deal was 'one per customer'.

RKW
11-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I used a wood cutting bandsaw to saw up one of those oversized candy canes into manageable pieces when I was a kid. Still have the bandsaw!

Fasttrack
11-08-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm not much for garlic, but if i were I'd give it a try. :D

[I have 2 pre-stressed tootsie roll pops setting on my desk as I type. Consumption times have not yet been scheduled].

I'm still confused. You are aware that they make tootsie-rolls ... minus the hard candy shells of tootsie-roll pops, right?

:D

Mcgyver
11-08-2010, 09:11 PM
Most everyone I know learned to peel garlic by taking individual cloves and squishing them on the cutting board to crack the skins off.

we're straying far afield but whoever is squishing garlic needs to know the easy way....take the individual cloves and put them in cold water, tap water is fine, and the skins easily come right off. I usually cut the hard end off first, then they are ready use undamaged

pro70z28
11-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Had a guy on another forum use a drywall tool to extract a pizza from his over tonight. He didn't elaborate as to which drywall tool was implemented.

They are out there. :)

wierdscience
11-08-2010, 09:22 PM
A 50 ton press,along with a couple pieces of 3" round bar will convert a dead calculator/cellphone/pager/iPod into a trendy drink coaster.:D

pro70z28
11-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm still confused. You are aware that they make tootsie-rolls ... minus the hard candy shells of tootsie-roll pops, right?

:D

Yea, that's all that's left in the ex-Halloween candy bag now that I've taken out all the tootsie roll pops. I thought I'd tackle the tootsie roll pop situation first, then I am home free until the tootsie rolls run out.
Now I can use my Halloween candy research results on the upcoming Christmas candy. Some of that stuff can be brutal.

TGTool
11-08-2010, 09:27 PM
The draw furnace of a toolroom is about right for heating the odd can of soup ahead of the supper break and my ex-father in law found the steel casting furnaces had doors that would hold spare ribs. His clue was the BBQ sauce as a slip and fall hazard.

pro70z28
11-08-2010, 09:33 PM
A 50 ton press,along with a couple pieces of 3" round bar will convert a dead calculator/cellphone/pager/iPod into a trendy drink coaster.:D

I think with a little digging in the attic I can find that box where I've filed some old obsolete techno gadgets. I'll bet I can cross off about 1/2 my Christmas list with this deal. :D

wierdscience
11-08-2010, 09:34 PM
I think with a little digging in the attic I can find that box where I've filed some old obsolete techno gadgets. I'll bet I can cross off about 1/2 my Christmas list with this deal. :D

Sure,add in some candy canes and a few pieces of ribbon-Festive!:D

pro70z28
11-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Sure,add in some candy canes and a few pieces of ribbon-Festive!:D

And I could cut the candy canes on the band saw to make them go further. I'm not cheap, just thrifty. :p