PDA

View Full Version : General purpose lube?

Black_Moons
11-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Hi, Im wondering what people here use for a general purpose lube? Ie for stuff like lubing secondary bike parts (derailer for example) or giving the seals a little oil to clean out junk, or on door hinges, etc.
My oiler of 3-in-1 oil is just about empty and Im wondering if I should buy something else to replace it.
I also have an oiler of way oil that I sometimes use on stuff like hinges, but sometimes I feel I should be using a lighter oil, Especialy when its for use on bearings (Moreso just letting some bleed in around the seals and flush junk out, Id grease bearings if I bothered to take em apart)

Boucher
11-10-2010, 01:20 PM
For that sort of thing I like the old Marvel Mystery oil. ATF is also good if it is on seals. I have been testing some PB Blaster but have not made up my mind. On the big 2" link chains on the drilling rig we used a 50/50 mixture of diesel and ATF.

camdigger
11-10-2010, 01:27 PM
For that sort of thing I like the old Marvel Mystery oil. ATF is also good if it is on seals. I have been testing some PB Blaster but have not made up my mind. On the big 2" link chains on the drilling rig we used a 50/50 mixture of diesel and ATF.

Did you have open chains? Any rig I've been around had sealed chain cases we ran gear oil in.

FWIW, 3 in 1 oil is SAE 20 or so non detergent oil. Check the label, our can has the SAE number on it.

Boucher
11-10-2010, 01:45 PM
This was on the open pull down chains on a portable air drilling rig. They are slow moving but very dirty environment. You could pull down until you picked the jacks off the ground. The PTO was a 9 strand chaincase the power distribution chain case was a 12 strand these ran in 30 wt non detergent motor oil. The seals on these lasted from one overhaul to the next. Our power stearing was supposed to use the same oil but the seals would not hold up. We changed to hydraulic oil and the seal proble went away.

garagemark
11-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I refilled my can(s) with 20 weight non detergent oil. Couple of bucks a quart. Last a lifetime in a Three-in-One can. :)

camdigger
11-10-2010, 03:55 PM
This was on the open pull down chains on a portable air drilling rig. They are slow moving but very dirty environment. You could pull down until you picked the jacks off the ground. The PTO was a 9 strand chaincase the power distribution chain case was a 12 strand these ran in 30 wt non detergent motor oil. The seals on these lasted from one overhaul to the next. Our power stearing was supposed to use the same oil but the seals would not hold up. We changed to hydraulic oil and the seal proble went away.

I spent little time on air rigs. There were chains on some of the top drive rigs like Sierra's (now Precision Drilling and the base design for all their super singles) rated to +/- 150,000# pull down, but I saw little evidence of regular lube. Those rigs were designed for fluid drilling which is a far less harsh environment than air rigs.

The little air rigs (in the Star 30 range) I remember had cable pull downs powered by a huge double acting hydraulic cylinder in the back of the mast. The rod side was hooked to the pull downs and the piston side was hooked to the hoisting side.

derekm
11-10-2010, 05:55 PM
I have a standard iso100 (SAE30) oil
mines Castrol Magna 100 bought 20L at a time
its goes in the lathe, mill, bandsaw, shaper, hedgetrimmer blades, scottoiler for the bike, bicycle chains, lawn mower engine, rotavator gear box and engine, air compressor ...
some of its recycled from the tramp oil skimmer.

For lots of applications that are relatively vicosity and additive insensitve a straight SAE30 oil is a good compromise.

smiller6912
11-10-2010, 08:33 PM
My most used lubricant in the shop is, ....... straight 30 wt non-detergent motor oil. $3 at the Quickie-Mart and, it works just fine on most anything.

rockcombo
11-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Boeshield T-9 is pretty handy works great on door hinges & chains , etc . leaves a dry film so it doesn't cause a mess .
Brice

ftl
11-11-2010, 12:10 AM
I use 10 weight non-detergent oil. One place here sells it for a few dollars a litre for use in air tools.

lakeside53
11-11-2010, 12:43 AM
I typically use #6 spindle oil and Vacta 2.. I have about 12 gallons of the #6 and 7 of the Vactra.. hard to jusify using anything else:D Oh, and I have many gallons of ISO68 hydraulic oil which gets used for all sorts of stuff. All basically free from machine shop auctions.

I just reach for one of my many preloaded oil cans. Sometimes I even choose the correct one for the job ;)

beanbag
11-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Hi, Im wondering what people here use for a general purpose lube?

That's like asking if there is a general purpose tool to use for cutting metal. :)

madokie
11-11-2010, 01:16 AM
ATF is 90% mineral oil.last shop i worked at , maintence used it for drilling holes,didnt waste my time trying to explain to these ham fisted guyes the difference between lube and cutting oil.if your bits are dull ,or your just having a hard time getting drill bits to cut use water to get them bite in to work .new cheap motor oil works good for lubing most every thing.