PDA

View Full Version : 11" Sheldon questions

shovelhead
12-12-2003, 11:36 PM
Hi Folks
I have been reading this Mag and looking at this sight for about a year when i get time, and am awed at the amount of knowlege that flies around here.I wish had time to read it all and at least retain half of it.But anyway I got a Sheldon SEWQM model lathe last year and it has the 2 1/4"x 8 Threaded spindle,but i am trying to find out for sure what the internal taper is, My guess is a #5 MT but i cant tell for sure. Dont want to buy any sleaves till i know for sure.
PS. Couldnt get a reply from the boys over at the Sheldonlathe group. any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
AJ

JCHannum
12-12-2003, 11:43 PM
The original spindle bore is MT #5. Unless someone has gotten creative, that is what you should have.

shovelhead
12-13-2003, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the reply.My next question is what is the best oil to run in the headstock brgs.The sheldon book just say a good grade of spindle oil, I have been using Vectra 2 way oil but i think it is too heavy for brgs, I noticed there has been alot of discussion on the topic of oils in the past.
AJ

Thrud
12-13-2003, 01:56 AM
AJ
Use either a tractor/hydraulic oil, an anti-wear Hydraulic, or preferably an R&O Gear & Bearing Lubricant of the specified viscosity. (ISO-68 or 20W) is common, (ISO-100 or 30W) is used in some

Jack
12-13-2003, 02:40 AM
I have a question on the subject of way oil. I took a introduction to machining class from the local junior college and we got to start and run a variety of lathes from a little one to one that had a chuck large enough to turn an engine block.
This question didn’t come up in class because I didn’t know enough to ask it ‘cause I didn’t own a lathe until later.
I have read your recommendation to purchase and use way oil, but how much should be on the ways.
Should it be applied like a tidal wave covering everything is sight or like a drop of water in the desert..?? I don’t remember that the ways on these lathes were wet with oil.
I don’t always have time to use my lathe so it sets covered until there is a break in my schedule and in this part of Washington State the wind blows and dust is everywhere, so it has to set dry until I need it otherwise it ends up covered with a fine grinding compound composed of dust and oil. I have used automatic transmission fluid to clean the exposed surfaces, but I’ve heard that this oil film is too thin.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Jack