PDA

View Full Version : OT Printer/Copier Problems

Tyro 001
11-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Bought a new copier a few weeks ago. It's an HP 8500 A940a multifunction copier/scanner/printer/fax/toaster/washing machine. For the most part it does just fine, except when making double sided copies. When I try that, it cuts off the bottom 1/2" and top 1/2" of the document I'm trying to copy. The documents I'm trying to copy are all 8/12 X 11. I've called HP's service center in India (twice) and was contacted by a US based service center as well. They've sent me two replacement copier/printers. All three, have the same problem. HP will not let me talk to an engineer. I have scrounged up several HP phone numbers all here in the US, and they all give me the same runaround, i.e. they don't know what's going wrong and they don't have any idea how to contact an engineer. The service techs all admit they really don't know anything about the machines. They read from a script and if that doesn't work they exchange the copier. Any ideas?

Evan
11-13-2010, 11:01 PM
I will bet it does that on purpose. The problem with double side printing is that the toner on the first side is remelted and acts like hot melt glue on the second pass. This will cause the paper to stick to the fuser roll on the bottom side if there is toner close to the leading edge. That causes it to curl in the wrong direction away from the pick off fingers. By leaving a blank area the paper is assured of not sticking long enough for the leading edge to reach the pick off fingers that direct the paper out of the fuser to the turn around transport.

There isn't anything wrong with the machine. It is supposed to do that. I will bet there is a note in the manual that mentions it.

A workaround is to do single sided prints and run them through a second time. To avoid jamming invert the originals so that the bottom of the page goes through the machine first. There is usually a larger margin on the bottom of most documents than at the top.

edit: OK, scrap that advice. I just discovered it is an inkjet, not a laser printer. You can still try the single side workaround though.

BTW, I just bought a brand new HP Colour laser printer from Staples for $100 !!!!. The machine works beautifully and is fast with excellent print quality. It is a LaserJet CP1215

Ken_Shea
11-13-2010, 11:10 PM
That model is an ink jet all in one Evan, sounds like you are referring to a laser Jet type, only mention it just in case. I have a similar HP but have not done any double sided printing as yet.

Evan
11-13-2010, 11:53 PM
It is intentional anyway. I expect they are using the same firmware for the paper transport system that they use for the equivalent laser printer model and it cuts off for the reason mentioned above even though it is an inkjet.

From the manual:

http://ixian.ca/pics8/hp8500.jpg

Piss poor customer support if they can't find something in the manual. It took me a couple of minutes to find and I know nothing about that specific machine or manual. They will go broke offshoring support if this is how they deal with a machine that isn't broken.

gcude
11-14-2010, 12:23 AM
Have a client that had the same problem. I made the same phone calls to India and had replacement of printers from HP ... no joy. :(

The real annoyance is that the client had an older model (7500?) that would duplex within 1/4" of top and bottom with no problems. That unit went out and HP "upgraded" them to the newer 8500.

"Misery loves company". :rolleyes:

CCWKen
11-14-2010, 01:23 AM
Dang! I almost bought one of those at Sam's Club today. Glad I didn't. I'm saving for a new PC anyway. My "old" HP 6310 does double sided, although manually. But all you do is take the stack from the output side, turn the top of pages toward the printer and place back into the in-bin. Press "OK" and away it goes.

whitis
11-14-2010, 01:51 AM
Try setting the copier to reduce the page slightly and center the result.
If it won't let you set the centering, try shifting the original on the glass.

Another big gotcha on some of the newer all-in-ones is that they won't let you scan if you are out of ink.

In at least one case, someone succeeded in swapping in empty cartridges and was able to scan because the unit doesn't notice they are out of ink until it tries to print, or perhaps clean the heads, again.

In a similar note, JVC camcorders were notorious for tape drive transport failures and when that goes bad, you can't even use it as a firewire camera.

And then they wonder why people prefer to pay half price for half a product instead of full price for half a product.

Tyro 001
11-14-2010, 04:08 PM
It is an "Office Jet" not a laser jet. The printed manual doesn't address the copy feature at all, but I just noticed there is some kind of online manual. I'll check this evening. I've got to get back outside and get some work done before it gets dark. FWIW, I went to the store where I bought it, and they didn't have any trouble with the 8500 on display doing duplexing.

BTW, Evan thanks for the heads up on the design problem some copiers have making duplex copies, if I wind up returning this one, I will look out for the problem when checking out other copiers.

Thanks for the input everybody - got to get back to work.

Dunc
11-14-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't have your printer but wonder if the control software doesn't have printing options or similar that would allow you to specify the paper size, margins, print quality, etc.

May take some digging through nested levels of menus, tho.

Evan
11-14-2010, 04:36 PM
FWIW, I went to the store where I bought it, and they didn't have any trouble with the 8500 on display doing duplexing.

The manual excerpt I posted is for your machine. Ask them what they did to correct that issue.

jugs
11-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Bought a new copier a few weeks ago. It's an HP 8500 A940a multifunction copier/scanner/printer/fax/toaster/washing machine. For the most part it does just fine, except when making double sided copies. When I try that, it cuts off the bottom 1/2" and top 1/2" of the document I'm trying to copy. The documents I'm trying to copy are all 8/12 X 11. I've called HP's service center in India (twice) and was contacted by a US based service center as well. They've sent me two replacement copier/printers. All three, have the same problem. HP will not let me talk to an engineer. I have scrounged up several HP phone numbers all here in the US, and they all give me the same runaround, i.e. they don't know what's going wrong and they don't have any idea how to contact an engineer. The service techs all admit they really don't know anything about the machines. They read from a script and if that doesn't work they exchange the copier. Any ideas?

Get a refund (unfit for purpose) & buy an epson.
john
:)