X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Powell
    • Jun 2008

Not My part of the job but----

Can anyone here tell me whether Mild Steel can be welded, properly, to what appears to be what I know as " sintered steel".? I have done what I was asked, but have my doubts about other parts of this scheme. I can possibly bolt and pin the parts together to avoid the welding, but need a few extra dimensions before I do so. Regards David Powell
  • wrenchbender
    • Jun 2010

sintered metal as far as i remember is made up of powdered metal dust compressed at a high temperature and pressure. and thus i would feel this would not hold up to welding. i think it would just break out next to the weld.

Comment

• mike4
      • Aug 2010

Joining materials.

Originally posted by wrenchbender
      sintered metal as far as i remember is made up of powdered metal dust compressed at a high temperature and pressure. and thus i would feel this would not hold up to welding. i think it would just break out next to the weld.
      Have you considered brazing or silver solder if the part sizes allow?
      Michael

Comment

• Evan
        • May 2003

If by "sintered steel" you mean parts formed by powder metallurgy then it very much depends on the powder metal process that was used.

There are three general classes of ferrous powder metallurgy parts. The lowest strength class is sintered iron parts used to make bearings commonly used in electric motors. They cannot be welded. The next class produces parts that are high strength but are quite brittle. The parts are a very dark, almost black colour. They can be welded but brazing is a much better option. The last and strongest class produces extremely hard and tough parts that are a light tan colour. These parts can be successfully welded although it will reduce the hardness and strength of the part.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
        X