PDA

View Full Version : Older Hurco KMB-1

cgmaster
11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
I am looking at an older Hurco KMB-1. I am thinking of purchasing it to convert to a newer cnc controls. The old stuff works but I would constantly be worried about failures. I am just a home shop machinist and may never use this a production unit but I want to have the capability.

How much would it cost to convert over? What all will require the conversion? On thing I want on the mill is a 4th axis so I can cut helix or spiral patterns (spiral futing on gun barrels, bolts and engraving caliber and makers name on recievers and barrels), porting barrels, building muzzle brakes.

I have also thought about a threading capability. I know this would require a rotary table. Is there anything else I would need?

I have also been watching a few on Ebay and looking other places. If anyone has one for sale in the South East let me know. I need something that will hold close tolerances. I would like to be able to hold .0005 or better minimum I could take would be .001. I know the Hurco I am looking at only has screen resolution to .001 so I am not sure even if I upgrade it if it would hold close enough for me.

macona
11-23-2010, 09:35 PM
It depends on if you can reuse the existing servos and their drives. If you have some electronics skill you can build a couple of the YAPSC:10v boards that will allow you to control the existing servo drives.

http://www.max-mod-shop.com/index.php

Then its a matter of computer, breakout boards and whatnot.

Still, its a whole lot of time to do it right.

If I had to do it again I would just buy a Milltronics control and install that and not mess with Mach.

macona
11-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Threading capability? Look up thread milling.