PDA

View Full Version : Connections

38_Cal
11-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I was out in the shop a bit ago, cutting the stock down on a shotgun for my neighbor's grandkids, and I went to drill the pilot holes for the new recoil pad using my step-dad's old eggbeater drill that I keep at the bench for just that job. It's a nice old drill, rosewood handles, but nothing special, other than when I finished drilling, I could almost hear him saying, "nice job, David"... I have most of his hand tools, his old Atlas 6" lathe, his drill press and his band saw. He was a carpenter & cabinet maker as well as a millwright. He's been gone over twenty five years, and I still miss his advice and jokes.

David

Rustybolt
11-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Not a day goes by.....................

Al Messer
11-23-2010, 05:23 PM
Not a day goes by.....................

Same here!!

Al

gaston
11-23-2010, 05:29 PM
know what you mean.
(a little history) I shared a farm with my dad till he died , then my sons family moved on to the farm and remodeled dads house. My dad, mom and sister ashes are scattered under a shrine vine maple where I one day will join then
I now have a shop my dad could only dream of and it includes many of his old tools. when we finished the clean up and install of the machine tools my son said "its weird but I feel like Grandpa here (he loved machining and could things with an old lathe and drill press I only dream of)" I get the same feeling some times when I'm alone in the shop
Your correct in that we sure miss them

Errol Groff
11-23-2010, 06:15 PM
My father in law was a great fellow who owned and operated a turkey farm for many years. This time of year he would be busier than a one armed paper hanger.

Anyway, his usual costume was gray Dickies brand shirt and trousers. One time, many years after he had passed on I was coming home from Oshkosh and stopped in a restaurant somewhere in IL, IN, or OH.

As i went to a table my heart almost stopped when I saw an older gentleman, bald and wearing gray trousers and a gray shirt. I thought about my father in law while I ate my lunch and would have stopped to chat with the gentleman but he was gone when I got up to leave.

Errol Groff

Weston Bye
11-23-2010, 08:47 PM
My dad didn't pass on much of sentimental value, except a tap handle that I gave to him and taught him how to use. He worked part time for me for a few years, helping me build electrical control panels - something else that I taught him. The best times I had with Dad was spending an afternoon or evening bolting motor starters, relays and other electrical devices to the panel backplate and then wiring them up. We were able to have long conversations - finishing each other's sentences and thoughts, and trading stories. When he passed, I got the tap handle back. I use it now, nearly every day - and remember Dad.