PDA

View Full Version : Knot site, (could help with moving machinery)

A.K. Boomer
11-27-2010, 01:09 PM
I cannot retain a single way to tie a knot except my shoes and I think I even do them different from time to time.

This site is interesting and gives you animation of the knot being tied - very cool. www.animatedknots.com

lynnl
11-27-2010, 02:56 PM
"...the rabbit comes out of the hole, around the tree, and then back back down in the hole."

I have a book by a Clifford Ashley, that is sort of the bible of knot tying. It describes something like 47 gazillion knots.
But like you, I can't remember any but the most basic, from one day to the next. I think you just need to have a recurring requirement for their use, in order to remember.

jugs
11-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Thats knot very good ;) :D

I've put it in favorites
Thanks AK

john
:)

Highpower
11-27-2010, 07:12 PM
I had a tree service company cut down a tree in my yard several years ago. They needed to pull the main trunk in a certain direction and one of the guys walked up with (I think) 3 long lengths of rope and started tying them together between the tree they were cutting and another tree across the yard.

In between the two trees he had several loops in all the ropes with one end hanging free. As he pulled on that end the ropes tightened but when he let loose of it the tension still held between the trees. Another pull added more tension and so on. It was basically a come-along made from 3 ropes and gave about the same leverage as well. :eek:

Don't know how it was tied or what it was called, but it was the coolest thing I've ever seen! :D

rohart
11-27-2010, 08:00 PM
lynnl - Ashley is THE bible of knots, and anyone who doesn't agree deserves to be whacked around the head with a Turk's Head !

I find it to be very good recreation. Just as the sailor would relax by whipping some rope, I relax by skimming through Ashley.

The highwayman's hitch is my favorite - climb down a tree and pull your rope down after you - but I think the knot I use most is the bowline hitch for a slip knot.

Anybody know which knot cowboys used to tie their horse up outside the bar ? You know - gallop, gallop, gallop, jump off at speed, tie up, storm into bar and have a shoot out.

Your Old Dog
11-27-2010, 10:02 PM

..............- climb down a tree and pull your rope down after you - ...............

I'm proud to say I've never had a knot come on done on me and never tied one I couldn't break.

What is the proper name of the one mentioned above? I don't think it has anything to do with highway knot but one used a lot in decending mountains and high places where in you snake or whip the rope up and as it releases tension on the knot, the knot releases. The knot is tied and the common end that passes through both clove hitches is cut with a knife after pressure is loaded onto the rope. It's also done as a rope trick.

Your Old Dog
11-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I had a tree service company cut down a tree in my yard several years ago. They needed to pull the main trunk in a certain direction and one of the guys walked up with (I think) 3 long lengths of rope and started tying them together between the tree they were cutting and another tree across the yard.

In between the two trees he had several loops in all the ropes with one end hanging free. As he pulled on that end the ropes tightened but when he let loose of it the tension still held between the trees. Another pull added more tension and so on. It was basically a come-along made from 3 ropes and gave about the same leverage as well. :eek:

Don't know how it was tied or what it was called, but it was the coolest thing I've ever seen! :D

I've known that knot as the truckers knot. The only trick to tying it is to tie figure 8 loops for the "pulleys" or else you will never be able to brake the knot when your done. You can generate tremendous pull with this rope.

Jim Caudill
11-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Once upon a time, I used to know a number of knots used by sailors (a bowline is about all I remember) and I also used to know how to tie and use the "trucker's hitch" (also forgotten). What is not forgotten is there is a difference between a "hitch" and a "knot"; I have, however, forgotten just what that distinction is. Seems like it may have had someting to do with whether or not you have access to the ends of the line.

gmatov
11-28-2010, 02:41 AM
Rohart,

It is the "half hitch" not actually a "knot". A "holder" for a trained horse.

Most of what I used the last years was a timber hitch to haul cables up 60 feet to the crane, with a couple half hitches. Greasy wire. Knots are a knotty subject.

Many of them, and many of them are specialized. Given dexterity, you can tie a bowline with just a couple flips of the wrist, with smallish rope. Get to 3/4 line, forget it.
Cheers,

George

jr45acp
11-28-2010, 07:35 AM
I don't have Ashley's Book of Knots, but I have the Encyclopedia of Knots and Rope Fancy Work which has served me well.

SGW
11-28-2010, 09:57 AM
My copy of Ashley cost $12.50, which gives you an idea of how long ago I bought it.
Ashley doesn't have the trucker's knot, which is the only knot I've been interested in that I haven't found in it.

rohart
11-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Ashley defines a hitch as connecting a cord to another object. Then a bend connects two cords together. A knot is everything else.

He devotes a page, no. 344, to what he calls truck lashings, for example where you pull down on a rope that goes through a slip knot, down to a loop on the truck, back up, to become the slip loop, and thence over the load to the other side of the truck.

I think the highwayman's hitch as I know it is dismissed by Ashley on page 63 as 'the most easily spilled' of the slipped hitches, which include the timber hitch and the buntline hitch. These indeed follow on from a few mountain climber hitches.

There are many knots named after tradesmen, but the nearest to our trade is the stevedore, which is merely a 'single stranded stopper knot' on the end of a rope to prevent unreaving. Hmm... safety first again, I see.