PDA

View Full Version : OT: Black Friday

wtrueman
11-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Hi all: Up here in Canada, a lot of people apparently crossed the border for "a good deal" this past Friday. A bit of a questionable question: Do/have any of you south of the border guys think you are really saving money when "mark-downs" are 30-70% off regular price? When we have a sale such as this at Sears etc., I think they have already bought the item at 29-71% of the price they are sold at. Soooo, are the companies really giving a good quality/ price-wise, product or have they been sucking us in for the previous 12 months minus one day? This, by-the-way, applies to us here. Any and all comments appeciated. Wayne.

randyc
11-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Hi all: Up here in Canada, a lot of people apparently crossed the border for "a good deal" this past Friday. A bit of a questionable question: Do/have any of you south of the border guys think you are really saving money when "mark-downs" are 30-70% off regular price? When we have a sale such as this at Sears etc., I think they have already bought the item at 29-71% of the price they are sold at. Soooo, are the companies really giving a good quality/ price-wise, product or have they been sucking us in for the previous 12 months minus one day? This, by-the-way, applies to us here. Any and all comments appeciated. Wayne.
I think that your third-to-last sentence is correct. (LOL, the idea is to encourage others to read your ENTIRE post, then count back the sentences - cheers.)

Good thoughts ! Heck all of the stuff comes from the same place and presumably the price that various distributors offer is based on their overhead cost. The Mom and Pop stores can charge a LOT less than Sears, Grizzly, MSC and so forth ...

Randy C

macona
11-29-2010, 01:40 AM
If it is on sale for cheaper than it is normally and you need it then yes, you are saving money.

The price that the store pays for it is irrelevant.

dp
11-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Cyber Monday is tomorrow - no borders! Our servers are normally hit hard between now and the middle of January as on-line shopping goes crazy. I'm already over the border in the US but don't pay any attention to the specials. I'm too busy. However, I did just buy a bunch of new hardware for a job I'm doing on the side. Didn't get any deals on anything as I didn't have time to wait for BF.