PDA

View Full Version : Milling Machine Question

TombstoneFab
12-16-2003, 01:16 AM
I have a little experiance in machining. Most of my expertise lies in welding and fabrication. Recently my partner and I purchsed a new lathe and milling machine. In addition to the machinery we bought a mostly full complement of tooling. With our buisness we plan on expanding our services to include machine work.
The question I have is regarding one particular type of tooling: Fly Cutters.
We bought a set of them and have no idea of how to use them. I know what they are for, but have not the slightest idea of how to set the cutting tools in the Fly Cutter. I don't know if the cutters need grinding beyond the mostly square shape of the HSS. Some of the cutters we bought have a slight lip on the bevel, some have only the bevel angle on the end.
Any help on how to set the cutting tools in the holders and whether they need grinding (if so how)would be greatly appreciated. I think I will do fine once I get a little ahead of the learning curve.
Thanks again. Happy Holidays to you all and keep making chips.
Trae
Tombstone Fabrication.

------------------
Tombstone Fab

Yankee1
12-16-2003, 02:34 AM
Take a look at.
"www.sherline.com/grinding.htm"

Ragarsed Raglan
12-16-2003, 11:15 AM
TF,

Some of your cutters sound like they could be boring bar cutters. If the clearance angle on the tool is ground on the periphery (when swung in the vertical plane) and with a flat lower face, then this tool will be good for boring a hole. If the tool has the clearance angle ground so that the tip of the tool does the majority of the work then it will most likely be a surfacing fly cutter.

I make my own fly cutters up from a piece of scrap and a left handed lathe tool with a TAT. Just cut an inclined slot to suit the lathe tool shank and grip with a couple of grub screws. I also tend to machine the shank to a diameter and grip the tool with an ER style tool holder.

Check out L Sparey's book " The Amatuers Workshop" for good guidance on matters concerning use and grinding of flycutters.

RR