PDA

View Full Version : Inverter question for UK members

wierdscience
11-29-2010, 09:20 PM
I have an inverter,it's an Invertrol VF4/VF6, Made in the UK,cannot find anything relevant to it on the net.

From the looks of it the thing was built in the 70's or 80's.

Anybody have information on this unit?

John Stevenson
11-30-2010, 04:15 AM
Sorry Darrin never heard of this make.

One thing with old inverters is the the control side is often at mains potential so be careful.

My old Danfloss as fitted to the big CNC looked like an oil cooled welder, it even had oil in it but it expected 400 volts on the control side - scary.

BillTodd
11-30-2010, 05:43 AM
If you post a picture of the terminals we may be able to workout connections for you.

Bill

wierdscience
11-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks guys,judging by the complete lack of information available I will most likely scrap it for the components.

Looking at the amperage rating 11.5 @440vac the thing must be a real dinosaur because it weighs 300lbs:)

oil mac
11-30-2010, 03:28 PM
This is a new one on me also Darrin, I thought i had a real dinosaur, with an old Malden dating from 1969, which i still use to drive my heavier machines,
Cannot even recall seeing any trade adverts on this machine.

Dan.

Mark McGrath
11-30-2010, 03:34 PM
I think they were made by GEC but I don`t have any info either.

Mark.

wierdscience
11-30-2010, 07:47 PM
I think they were made by GEC but I don`t have any info either.

Mark.

Hi,Mark GEC is on the tag,but the full name is gone.What does GEC stand for and are they still in business?

J Tiers
11-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Unless you have some particular liking for it, don't mess with the thing.

Any electronic thingie , especially POWER electronic thingie, from the 1970's or 1980's is now so obsolete that most people won't have even ever heard of the type of component used, let alone seen one or have it in stock.

Almost certainly, it uses standard bipolar power transistors, or possibly SCRs. It may not even be a switching type, at that size it may even be be a linear motor drive. We have a 3 phase 208/120Y linear motor drive at work, which is actually pretty handy as a variable frequency and amplitude 3 phase source for tests of things that need plain old clean AC, without switching noise. Things like voltage sensing transformers etc. That's why we keep it. We have some spare parts, or we would be out of luck..... try finding TO-3 power transistors these days.

Ours is about 3 or 4 amps, and weighs about 100 lb. That puts yours right in line to be a large linear unit.

chriskat
11-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Here's a wikipedia link to the GEC name:

GEC at Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Electric_Company_plc)

I know Wikipedia is not known for it's accuracy but this story from 1997 to present looks right to me. I used to do a fair amount of business with what was then GEC-Marconi in Basildon England. The trail of where the company went looks fairly accurate to me. Although, having said that the plant in Basildon is now part of Selex I believe.

Short answer, they are no longer around.

Mark McGrath
12-01-2010, 02:03 AM
GEC were a truly great British company at one time.Sadly ruined by a bunch of tossers who took over after A Weinstock retired.They had a bigger cash pile than any other British company and were successful in all their chosen fields.Now no more.
Weinstocks autobiography is well worth a read.