PDA

View Full Version : How do you post sketches and drawings?

fishfrnzy
11-30-2010, 12:15 AM
How would I post a drawing to this board. I can scan and save a hand drawn sketch to a variety of files(pdf, word, paint, wordpad, file, ie,powerpoint) but when I go to upload to photobucket it will only let me upload photos.

Also how about a cad file. I see people do it here all the time. what is the secret

oldtiffie
11-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Use the *.jpg file format/type and you will be OK up-loading to Photo Bucket

dp
11-30-2010, 03:43 AM
Try doing a screen capture of what you have on your screen. It can be saved out as a jpg file and uploaded to photobucket and other places.

BigBoy1
11-30-2010, 08:38 AM
Try doing a screen capture of what you have on your screen. It can be saved out as a jpg file and uploaded to photobucket and other places.

How is a screen capture done? (See my signature block!)

Evan
11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
First place the window you want to capture in the middle of the screen and size it so that it will fit nicely when posted in a thread. Then press and hold the Alt key and then tap the Prnt Screen key. That will capture the image to memory. Then open whatever program you have to view images or even just the MS Paint program in Accessories. Select "Paste" from the Edit menu and the image of that window will appear. If you wish and know how then you can crop the image to just the part you want to post and then on the File menu choose "Save as" and select the type "Jpeg" or "Jpg". Put it in the My Pictures folder. Then follow the instructions in the sticky thread to create an account at Photobucket and post the image there so you can insert it in your post here.

camdigger
11-30-2010, 01:08 PM
Some software lets you convert from pdf to jpeg using the "saveas" command.

As an alternative, you can save as pdf, then open that file and save as a jpeg file. After that load to photobucket and paste in the link as per the sticky thread.

Fasttrack
11-30-2010, 01:30 PM
All the scanners I used allow you to choose .jpg as a file type. Is that not possible on yours? If you can save as a .ppt or .pptx (powerpoint) then you can open it in powerpoint and then choose to save it as a jpeg. I do this regularly to make research posters (make the poster in powerpoint but the printing places need a jpeg to print).

The print screen trick is what I use for Autodesk Inventor/CAD etc.

dp
11-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Mac computers are pretty cool in that you can press shift+splat+4 and drag a marquee around any area of the screen and it will create a .png file in your desktop folder. It also does screen shots and application window captures as well using different variations of shift+splat+N.

Splat key explained:

http://www.macinminutes.co.uk/express_tips/mac_keys.html

KiloBravo
11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
I like MS Paint because ....

Just open the Paint program and go to File > From Scanner or Camera
It will pull the image right off the scanner

Then SAVE AS ... whatever.jpg as others have suggested.

Then upload to your picture site.

This usually saves me a step or two.

fishfrnzy
11-30-2010, 11:10 PM
Ok, did a test. scanned and resized and saved in paint, then opened with windows pictgure viewer and saved as jpeg so I think that will work for scanned images.

Evan or others, regarding the cad files, when I press alt I can't get the print key to "light up". Do I just print to file? Or print to Image?

I'm sure I'm missing something, Thanks

Paul Alciatore
11-30-2010, 11:41 PM
Ok, did a test. scanned and resized and saved in paint, then opened with windows pictgure viewer and saved as jpeg so I think that will work for scanned images.

Evan or others, regarding the cad files, when I press alt I can't get the print key to "light up". Do I just print to file? Or print to Image?

I'm sure I'm missing something, Thanks

What Evan was describing was a procedure to copy ANYTHING that is displayed on your computer's screen by ANY PROGRAM. You do not have to have any keys light up. Just press and hold down the ALT key and then momentairly press the PRINT SCREEN key which is normally located to the right or the row of Function keys. Then release the ALT key. This stores the screen image in some area of Windows as a bitmap image.

Now, you open up a program that can handle images, like the Paint program that comes with Windows. After opening Paint (or another similar program) you press the CTRL and V keys at the same time to paste that stored image into Paint. Paint can then save the image in several formats, including .jpg.

This trick will work with anything displayed on the screen. I have used it to illustrate instructions for using many programs. If you use the ALT-Print Screen combination to save the image, you will save only the contents of the currently selected window. But if you use just Print Screen then you will get the entire screen.

All of the above is probably not necessary as most CAD programs that I have used will allow you to save the drawing in the .jpg format. I would suggest that you experiment with the SAVE menu or read the instruction book or consult the HELP files.

fishfrnzy
12-01-2010, 01:52 AM
Great, I think that will work. I'll have some stuff to ask soon.

Thanks

Evan
12-01-2010, 09:05 AM
My instructions were in reply to the post above asking how to do a screen capture. There are a couple of exceptions to the "anything" part though. A screen capture never captures the cursor. Also, depending on the type of video card you have if the video system is set to use "overlay" mode for presenting videos then they also cannot be captured.