PDA

View Full Version : Tooling SUPER-HYPER-MEGA-GLOAT

RobbieKnobbie
12-01-2010, 06:37 PM
I recently bid on a 'drill cabinet, with contents' at a local bankruptcy auction. The bidding closed at just over a hundred bucks. Throughout the rest of the afternoon I was sickened with buyer's remorse. How could I have spent so much n a stupid box that's probably filled with eight or ten broken off drill shanks and a busted tap or three. The psychological torment prevented me from bidding on hardly anything else. I'm surprised, honestly, that I made it the whole day.

Well, as it turns out, a hundred bucks was well worth it... The case itself is a handsome (if not a little worn) Cleveland item that I assume was part of a package deal from a CTD rep or something many years ago.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/robbieknobbie/105_1652.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/robbieknobbie/105_1653.jpg

But looking inside was when the real fun began...

Mills and a few counterbores etc (most of the cutters still in tubes appear brand new)
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/robbieknobbie/105_1654.jpg

Reamers (over two hundred!)
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/robbieknobbie/105_1655.jpg

continued...

RobbieKnobbie
12-01-2010, 06:39 PM
Taps of all different sizes and threads, many uncommon, like 1/4-24 etc, plus two dozen pulley taps stashed in the back there.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/robbieknobbie/105_1656.jpg

And of course tons of drills...
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l166/robbieknobbie/105_1657.jpg

It wasn't all wine and roses though, I had to sort and organize the drawers, and as if that wasn't chore enough, I also had to sort out the dull bits from the good. (most of the dull were discarded before I took the pics)

Enco may never hear from me again!

JBL37
12-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Yes! That score entitles you rub your index fingers together and
speak a long HEE! HEE! HEE! JIm

Liger Zero
12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Screw Enco I'm calling RobbieKnobbie for my next stock-up. :D

Deja Vu
12-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Nice score!

mototed
12-01-2010, 07:08 PM
All I can say is "Sweet"
Good for you, you lucky dog.
Ted

randyc
12-01-2010, 07:11 PM
<gasp> absolutely the best score I've ever seen -

MrDan
12-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Oh goodie, now I have someone new to focus my hate on.

<hands on temples>Focus....focus....

Ah crap, it's a no go. Sweet score!

gda
12-01-2010, 08:19 PM
So were you not allowed to look what was in the box before bidding?

Bruce Griffing
12-01-2010, 08:55 PM
You made one mistake. Never throw out a drill just because it is dull. Send them to me instead.

Liger Zero
12-01-2010, 09:06 PM
You made one mistake. Never throw out a drill just because it is dull. Send them to me instead.

Or me. I love dull drill-bits. I give 'em to the new guy and watch 'em squirm.

lazlo
12-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Congrats Robbie! That's definitely gloat-worthy. Maybe Gloat of the Year award :)

randyjaco
12-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Robbie,
As they say over at SFT, YOU SUCK !! :D

Great score.

Randy

Evan
12-01-2010, 09:20 PM
On a cost per gloat ratio that will be very hard to beat. Hell, that would have been worth a gloat for each drawer. :D

Liger Zero
12-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Congrats Robbie! That's definitely gloat-worthy. Maybe Gloat of the Year award :)

Starting January we should make a spreadsheet to keep track of this. :D

RobbieKnobbie
12-01-2010, 09:54 PM
AARGH! I shoulda kept my mouth shut for one month and I coulda been a contender for the First Annual Gloat of the Year Award (GYA)

Now that I've spent forty years' worth of karma credits on this box of toys, I'll probably die in a bus accident tomorrow.

Liger Zero
12-01-2010, 09:59 PM
Be sure to post your address so we all can come down and rummage through your endmills and drill-bits if that does happen.

darryl
12-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Throwing away dull drill bits- does not compute, does not compute- Funny, I always think of this now when I sharpen a drill bit. Just did one today, a 'sensitive' drill bit- must have been a 3/32 or so. In my head I laughed at all the guys who throw them away. I had it sharpened (and cutting well) in less time than it would take to step over to the cabinet to find another one.

Quite the score you got there. Oh, did you know- drill bits are usually some better quality steel, useful for short bits of round stock like pins, punches, even cutting tools. Last nite I used a short piece from a drill bit as an alignment pin.

But what am I saying- you have so darn many now, why would you keep used ones- :)

67chevelle
12-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm wondering the same thing..

Definitely a nice score though..

Mark

So were you not allowed to look what was in the box before bidding?

Ken_Shea
12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
Yes, nice score for sure, that cabinet is worth the $100 bucks, you just don't see those around for sale. I've been looking for quite some time.

Never met a tap or drill I didn't like, except for maybe those that look like they are painted black, come in a plastic holder with turned down shanks, the ones that burn up cutting wood. :D

wierdscience
12-01-2010, 10:58 PM
Screw Enco I'm calling RobbieKnobbie for my next stock-up. :D

Does he give out free shipping codes?:D

john hobdeclipe
12-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Get busy, young man. Life is short, and you've got a lot of holes to drill and tap!

KIMFAB
12-01-2010, 11:17 PM
It wasn't all wine and roses though, I had to sort and organize the drawers, and as if that wasn't chore enough, I also had to sort out the dull bits from the good. (most of the dull were discarded before I took the pics)

Enco may never hear from me again!

Poor baby, had to sort thru all those nasty old bits.
You have my deepest sympathy.

Liger Zero
12-01-2010, 11:22 PM
Does he give out free shipping codes?:D

...and do they stack with the 10% off code? :D

RobbieKnobbie
12-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Don't worry, I didn't literally throw out the dull bits and taps. I stuck the drills in a coffee can and I 'sharpened' tha salvagable taps and put them in my Misc. Used Taps Tray (MUTT).

I can't bear to throw anything out.

As for pre-inspection... You give me too much credit: I didn't really notice it until it came up and then I just went on impulse. The stranger thing is that no one else, apparently, bothered looking at it either or I'm sure it would have gone much higher.

wierdscience
12-01-2010, 11:40 PM
As for pre-inspection... You give me too much credit: I didn't really notice it until it came up and then I just went on impulse. The stranger thing is that no one else, apparently, bothered looking at it either or I'm sure it would have gone much higher.

Always,always dig though boxes,drawers and cabinets.Some of my best auction deals have been in the bottoms of boxes everybody else thought were full of trash.

rockrat
12-01-2010, 11:48 PM
Now that I've spent forty years' worth of karma credits on this box of toys, I'll probably die in a bus accident tomorrow.

Well then, leave all the stuff to me in your will and I'll make sure it gets well taken care of. :)

Nice score

rock~

whitis
12-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Buyers remorse, 狒狒的屁眼・狒狒的屁眼 (FAY-FAY duh PEE-yen), you 青蛙操的流氓・青蛙操的流氓 (Ching-wah TSAO duh liou mahng) ! :)

You would have made out well if the cabinet was empty, considering that drill dispensers go for about $100 a drawer. That is a fortune in tooling.

hardtail
12-02-2010, 11:59 AM
AARGH! I shoulda kept my mouth shut for one month and I coulda been a contender for the First Annual Gloat of the Year Award (GYA)

Could be a last minute 4th quarter touchdown.......

The only problem I would have sleeping now is what was in those other items you didn't bid on.........seriously nice score!

macona
12-02-2010, 02:40 PM

No kidding, I could have entered the Sherline cnc lathe I got for free.

67chevelle
12-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Yup.. I've done that too a bunch of times, didn't usually work out as well.