PDA

View Full Version : Vibratory tumbler

baldysm
12-02-2010, 11:50 PM
Has anyone made a vibratory tumbler?

I have one that I bought years ago for making my reloading brass pretty. That's too small for my current needs.

I'm looking for something in the vicinity of a 20" diameter tub and has more kahunas than the reloading one that I have, for steel parts.

The tumbler I have has the tub supported by 4 springs.

I looked in MSC for vibrators (that's MSC, not one of those sites). I came away not really having any better idea what I needed than when I opened the catalog.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Liger Zero
12-02-2010, 11:55 PM
I looked in MSC for vibrators (that's MSC, not one of those sites).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Yes. I do have a suggestion.

MAKE SURE THE %&(%*)%!!!ing SAFE-SEARCH FILTER IS ON TURNED ON BEFORE YOU GOOGLE THIS! :eek: ...otherwise you could end up quite distracted and/or offended. Possibly both. :p

ZINOM
12-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I found this a while back when I was thinking about making one (haven't yet).

http://www.boyerfour.com/projects/tumbler/tumbler.htm

Good luck,

John

davidwdyer
12-03-2010, 05:29 AM
The lapidary and jewelry industry sells quite a bunch of different options along with different media to tumble with (including walnut shells).

For example: www.therockshed.com/tumbler3.html

I think that even Harbor Freight might sell them. :eek:

On the other hand, a simple little motor with a lead wheel weight attached to the axle makes a good vibration. I made a paper jogger (to straighten bunches of paper for printing) by screwing a small motor with aforementioned weight onto a board supported by four springs.

garagemark
12-03-2010, 06:47 AM
This is what I use at work for cleaning small to medium sized air circuit breaker parts. It does a hellofagood job, though it is noisy. And at 175 bucks, it's a throw away. I have yet to throw one away, and it runs almost constantly (about three months now). I have noticed that the bowl is showing signs of wear inside, but I'm running ceramic chips in it. I expect it to puke sometime.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-lb-vibratory-bowl-with-liquid-drain-hose-96923.html

tryfred
12-03-2010, 07:57 AM
I made a vibratory tumbler a few years ago…cost …zero dollars. It’s mostly all components from a Hayward swimming pool filter that are often found at the side of the road for trash pickup.
The base is a filter housing turned upside down with what was the bottom end cut off. Inside that supported by a set of springs is the pump motor (from the filter)…with all the pump parts removed.
An oblong piece of ˝ x 1 is securely fastened to the shaft as an eccentric.
The tubs…there are two…one fastened permanently and the other sits inside the first and is removable. This helps to empty the entire contents. Both tubs are old chlorine tablet containers …the beauty here is that they have screw on tops with a locking tab to keep it from vibrating off.
Some experimentation was required to get the eccentric / support springs /and a vane inside the inner tub working together so that contents would tumble nicely.

Joe

datsun280zxt
12-04-2010, 09:25 AM
I made a vibratory tumbler a few years ago…cost …zero dollars. It’s mostly all components from a Hayward swimming pool filter that are often found at the side of the road for trash pickup.
The base is a filter housing turned upside down with what was the bottom end cut off. Inside that supported by a set of springs is the pump motor (from the filter)…with all the pump parts removed.
An oblong piece of ˝ x 1 is securely fastened to the shaft as an eccentric.
The tubs…there are two…one fastened permanently and the other sits inside the first and is removable. This helps to empty the entire contents. Both tubs are old chlorine tablet containers …the beauty here is that they have screw on tops with a locking tab to keep it from vibrating off.
Some experimentation was required to get the eccentric / support springs /and a vane inside the inner tub working together so that contents would tumble nicely.

Joe

I'm sure you knew someone would ask...so...Got any pictures?

tryfred
12-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I took a picture before I even typed up the reply...could not and still do not see how to post it. What am I missing?

Joe

ZINOM
12-04-2010, 11:33 PM
Pic posting help here:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=29277

John

winchman
12-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Yes. I do have a suggestion.

MAKE SURE THE GODDAMNED SAFE-SEARCH FILTER IS ON TURNED ON BEFORE YOU GOOGLE THIS! :eek: ...otherwise you could end up quite distracted and/or offended. Possibly both. :p

Well, he's probably already offended by your choice of expletives. I was.

JoeFin
12-05-2010, 06:33 AM
Mine is about 6 cu.ft. manufactured and looks pretty simple to make. I'll post some pictures later if you like

baldysm
12-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Mine is about 6 cu.ft. manufactured and looks pretty simple to make. I'll post some pictures later if you like

I would love to see some pics.

I found a vibrator from Grainger for $165, made in the USA which is important to me. I can buy a replacement tub unless I come up with something else. It'll just be a matter of mounting and springs at that point.

Alot cheaper than the $900 unit I was looking at.

gmatov
12-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Garage,

I bought one that MIGHT be smaller than that at HF a couple months ago. Couple days of trying to shine up some stones for my grands, and it stripped the threads off the cap screwdown. VERY soft metal, there.

You want to really go cheap, get a used truck tire, bigger the better, rig a drive, a simple rolling shaft, and hang the tire on it. 5 pounds or so of media and throw in all the dirty metal you have . Turn it on and look at it a day or so later.

Cheers,

George

Tait
12-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I borrowed a Harbor Freight small tumbler from a friend.

It's a bit on the loud side - loud enough that I don't want to run it overnight in my quiet neighborhood.

Does anybody know if the more expensive vibratory tumblers make less noise?

Rustybolt
12-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Does anybody know if the more expensive vibratory tumblers make less noise?

No.

The real expensive ones ,with tubs lined with rubber, are quieter-ish. But it really depends on what you're tumbling and the tumbling media.

So. No. Not really quiet at all. If you want to quiet yours down make a box out of MDF to put over it.

RobbieKnobbie
12-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Cheapest tumbler yet...

A place I worked at years ago did a lot of tumbling, and I occasionally took samples of the media (usually when the vendor would ship us the wrong stuff). At home, I would take the media, fill a large metal (coffee) can about 1/2 to 1/3 full, add a little soapy water, and the parts to be tumbled.

Roll some duct tape around the lid and throw it in the the lathe. Spin at a moderate rate - NOT fast enough that the media gets forced against one spot and just sticks there... you want the works to slosh around and tumble.

It takes a while, but it's quieter than a full blown tumbler and definitely cheaper. One of these days I may run a rib down one wall of the can to act as an agitator, and maybe line the can with plasti-dip to help silence it.

I don't have the room, the need, or the money for a tumbler, so this works out great for me.

dave5605
12-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Mortar mixer? Its more of a tumbler than a vibratory unit though.

If you buy one of those HF ones be sure to spring for the warranty if you are going to use it a lot. On my 3rd small one and don't use it much. Motors bound up after 6 days of almost solid running.