PDA

View Full Version : [Tool Gloat] Fairly Substantial "better than a Dremel " for $5!

Liger Zero
12-03-2010, 02:47 PM
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z432/Arrghh/NozzStickingIssue004.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z432/Arrghh/NozzStickingIssue006.jpg

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z432/Arrghh/NozzStickingIssue005.jpg

We have a not-for-profit "Used Tool" shop that just opened. They have lots of tools, good and bad there. They accept old tools, power tools and machines, clean them up, test 'em out and sell them CHEAP. Goal is to raise money for one of the church food-pantry programs. I 100% approve of trading money for tools if some of that money goes to help people who need such help.

Anyway. It runs... very very smooth. Goes from fast to OMG FAST, twice as fast as my Dremel.

The power box is very substantial too. Good 3-4 pounds, and you can see a big-@55 transformer in there.

The chuck is a proper chuck too! Got little jaws and everything. Came with two spare chucks still sealed in plastic. Proper chuck with jaws as opposed to those fail-tastic compression-collet things that Dremel uses.

I'm not sure what this is:

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z432/Arrghh/NozzStickingIssue007.jpg

...the tool fits in it securely. The metal part moves back and forth and locks with a wing-nut. The plastic piece moves up and down when you turn the knob giving some fine vertical motion. It says Dremel on the front... I think it is part of something else, not original equipment.

Well, that's my gloat. No one has beat the "Everlasting Drill And Tap Box Of The Gods" yet today this week.

madwilliamflint
12-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Mystery piece sure looks like a dremel router attachment of some kind.

Liger Zero
12-03-2010, 03:09 PM
I just noticed something:

"Made in WEST Germany"

Amazing that it's lasted this long... Germany has been unified for how long now? To compare, my Dremel is showing wear after only a few months use...

Dr Stan
12-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Liger,

I think you need to send it to me for testing to see if its safe. I'll get it back to you in a year or so. :D

Stan

macona
12-03-2010, 03:38 PM
My dad has one of these. Got it in the mid-80's. Pretty decent. Bad thing was the two pin connector on the front went bad so I replaced it with a little panel mount twist lock.

I would say the main problem was the little chuck would not hold well and loosen on its own.

Liger Zero
12-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Liger,

I think you need to send it to me for testing to see if its safe. I'll get it back to you in a year or so. :D

Stan

Absolutely. I will get it off in the mail to you as soon as I finish building my fusion reactor.

I would say the main problem was the little chuck would not hold well and loosen on its own.

It gotta be better than that craptastic compression collet thing that Dremel uses.

macona
12-03-2010, 04:23 PM
The original kit did come with collets and a collet nut.

Liger Zero
12-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Interesting. I have the blowmolded box... All that remains of the "kit" is a plastic sleeve that fits in a compartment. There are all kinds of interesting depressions though so it seems to have come with quite a bit of "stuff."

PTSideshow
12-03-2010, 04:36 PM
The other item is an old style about 3 version ago compared to the current version Dremel hand router attachment.

Liger Zero
12-03-2010, 04:49 PM
The other item is an old style about 3 version ago compared to the current version Dremel hand router attachment.

Is it complete or am I missing pieces?

mickeyf
12-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Mystery piece sure looks like a dremel router attachment

Looks Exactly like my Dremel router base... Congrats on a good find!

wierdscience
12-03-2010, 05:49 PM
You know I would gladly pay more for a decent Dremel tool.

By decent I mean a cast aluminum case with machined bearing bores.

41mag
12-03-2010, 06:44 PM
You know I would gladly pay more for a decent Dremel tool.

By decent I mean a cast aluminum case with machined bearing bores.
have you seen the Foredoms?

http://www.foredom.net/

Your Old Dog
12-03-2010, 07:19 PM
My guess is you'll pay far more for the router bits for it then what you paid for the tool and the router base. :D

Liger Zero
12-03-2010, 07:21 PM
My guess is you'll pay far more for the router bits for it then what you paid for the tool and the router base. :D

...ain't that the truth! :D

On the other hand, little tiny brass brushes and those feltoid polishing wheels rock.

Liger Zero
12-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Two things:

http://www.widgetsupply.com/page/WS/CTGY/dremel

They seem to have Dremel bits in bulk for decent prices...

and second:

I told Wife Unit what that thingy (router base) was for... and she promptly YOINK'D! it off my desk, I can hear her Dremel running in the studio so apparently she's working on Something.

Bguns
12-03-2010, 10:35 PM
There are fairly decent drill chucks available for Dremals...

I rarely fit the collet anymore.

I use air grinders for bigger work, and the flex shaft once in a while.
Dremals are light duty compared to a Foredom for sure..

mike4
12-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Absolutely. I will get it off in the mail to you as soon as I finish building my fusion reactor.

It gotta be better than that craptastic compression collet thing that Dremel uses.
I have had a dremmel for about 18 years now and the collet has never faulted , I did let a workmate use it once and found that he had wayy overtightened the nut and was forcing the grinding wheel which did cause some damage to the case.
I have since replaced the case and it is as good as ever ,now I only lend my equipment with me attached .

Michael

darryl
12-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I have what looks like a knockoff of the foredom. Great machine! I don't have a key for the chuck, but I haven't looked very hard for one. It hangs at one end of the shop, and the dremel hangs at the other end. The dremel gets more use, but only because I got it first and adapted the handpiece to the toolpost. Interesting thing about the dremel- it hung in a local hobby shop for years, almost eons. I was in there every now and then, and one day I kind of felt sorry for the owner- I don't know why, he was (is) a peculiar sort of fellow- anyway I bought the dremel and that made his day. The motor unit works well, but the handpiece could sure use a re-build for better, tighter bearings.

Curious, I just went and had a look at the knockoff- it's called Pro-Craft, and it is in fact made by Foredom, says right on it. I hadn't seen that before. Interesting about that tool- I got it for three dollars because it wasn't working. I figured I might be able to fix it. The guy tried to demonstrate it for me, knowing it wouldn't run- plugged it in, played with the foot pedal control, no motor runnee. I got it home, noticed a power switch, clicked it, now motor runnee!

Ok, that's my tool gloat hijack.

Liger Zero
12-03-2010, 11:11 PM
She built a fixture for her glass art. Used the router thing to cut groves in her table-top and cut wood pieces on her jig-saw and shaped them with a sander-bit.

...the woman she's becoming ONE OF US. :eek:

(I'll have to see about a picture of her in her workshop for the ULTIMATE GAME WINNING MEGA-TRUMP TOUCHDOWN GLOAT TO END ALL GLOATS.)

wierdscience
12-04-2010, 01:26 AM
have you seen the Foredoms?

http://www.foredom.net/

Ya,do they make anything like a Dremel thou?I have used the cable drive units,they are nice,but not completely portable,IE throw it in a toolbox and run.

Ed.
12-04-2010, 03:16 AM
For $5 that is an excellent deal, I would buy that even if I didn't have a use for it at the time.

Here is my version of a "Dremel", :D An Ozito 1/4 router, definitely a two handed job and can be dangerous depending what tip you use and what you are doing, but have had it for about two years and still have all my digits. 600 watts of power and variable speed and takes anything with 1/4" bits, wire brushes, carbide and stone grinding bits etc. anything that requires a more delicate approach then I use an air micro grinder. Use it about once a week for grinding out welds, beveling etc. or I can actually use it for what it was intended for and that is a 1/4" router, but I have a 1/2" router for that sort of work which does a much better job.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/eberg54/Handheldrouter1IMG_1302.jpg