View Full Version : Suction Handles (tool)

12-03-2010, 02:30 PM
A large mirror in my bathroom slipped loose last week, and one end dropped down between wall and backsplash of the sink/vanity.
It's going to be hard to get a grip on it in order to wrestle it back into place and permit installing support clips into postion to prevent future slippage.

I remember in the computer rooms of a couple of places I worked, the flooring consisted of suspended large tile panels that were removable to permit access to cabling trays underneath. For that purpose there were suction activated handgrips used to pull up the panels.
I need something like that to handle this mirror.

Anybody know where I should look? ...would rental places be likely to have such as that?

Or..., any other suggestions as to how to safely handle this mirror? It's 3ft wide by about 6 ft long, 1/4" glass.

12-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Not sure about sizing, but check with a tool rental place for vacuum cups.


Cheap, but again not sure about sizing:

From my experience, I don't know that I'd trust a datacenter tile moving device to lift a mirror vertically. Most of what I've used are a slam-on device with a bleed valve release. They are good for tilting and sliding tiles, but will let go if you attempt to actually lift a whole tile and carry it away.

12-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Hi 2,

This sounds like a one use tool you might want to get a cheap oe or two.


Be careful.

- Scott

12-03-2010, 03:22 PM
However successful you may be with the cup system, please hold the idea in your mind that the mirror could break, and what you would do in such a case.

I nearly lost an arm or worse when a large 1/4" thick plate mirror I was working with unexpectedly broke as it was being mounted -it instantly turned into a guillotine. No injuries, but a very lucky escape - I wish you good luck with your project

Richard in Los Angeles

12-03-2010, 05:40 PM
For some reason I had not thought of good Ol' Harbor Freight. Those just might be the ticket!

I don't really have to lift the entire weight of the mirror. But your cautions are well taken.

All I need to do is just raise one end up (slide it up the wall actually), far enough for me to afix the clips or brackets firmly to the wall underneath which will then bear the weight.
Right now that end is dropped down about 1/2" below the top of the backsplash, in the gap between backsplash and wall. As a result, I can't get any sort of pry lever underneath to raise it.

12-03-2010, 05:44 PM
We used those dual suction handles to move glass display cases that weighed a couple hundred pounds each, up and down stairs when i worked at a hobby shop years ago.. Looking back, it probably wasnt a safe idea, but it got the job done.

Your Old Dog
12-03-2010, 06:16 PM
I'd use handles made by two long strips of Duct Tape. Make more if you got some one to help lift them.

12-03-2010, 06:50 PM
When carrying 8' x 4' sheets of plate glass when I was younger the idea was to listen very carefully. The larger the sheet, the longer it takes for the crack to propagate. You can hear it go, and you don't panic. You just leave the sheet in the air and step away sharpish. Always keep an escape route in mind, and you'll be fine.

A smaller sheet - is yours about 2' x 4' ? - will crack much more suddenly, but you don't have to move so far to escape it. I'd cover all shiny and slippery surfaces with some material that will snag on a broken edge and hold it for a while. And glasses for the flying shards.

I had one of those suction cups a long time ago. A very useful tool. Good luck. The bathroom I inherited is wierd. There's no mirror over the sink, but there is one over the toiler bowl. So I can't see myself shaving, but I can watch myself doing something else. Must get it fixed.

12-03-2010, 10:06 PM
For a moment I thought you were going to say the mirror is if front of the toilet- so you could see yourself- ah- never mind.

12-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Well, I'm surprised that some guy on the forum with a low IQ sense of humor hasn't labeled this a question about tools that suck. Oop, someone just did.

12-03-2010, 10:12 PM
:eek: ROFLMAO and can't seem to stop at the thought of what darryl posted. :D

12-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Talk to a glazier , they have the round suction type similar to the HF aluminiun framed unit but the pro type has an inbuilt hand operated vacuum pump built into the handle , these are capable of lifting your mirror and holding it while you fix the clips.