PDA

View Full Version : New Toy: Baldor Grinder Off Ebay

AllThumbz
12-03-2010, 02:32 PM
With all these good lessons on grinding, I was anxious to jump in and try it, so I bought this grinder on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=180591163522&si=38x4wfiyhMKyoGRB7X6YjHxiFIc%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

The motor is 3 phase. Should I use a VFD to convert my 220 1 phase to 3 phase or some other setup?

Do you guys think I got ripped off?

Thanks!

EddyCurr
12-03-2010, 03:03 PM
http://abqtool.com/ebay/baldor-503-carbide-1.jpg . http://abqtool.com/ebay/baldor-503-carbide-2.jpg
http://abqtool.com/ebay/baldor-503-carbide-3.jpg . http://abqtool.com/ebay/baldor-503-carbide-4.jpg

First four images.

EddyCurr
12-03-2010, 03:12 PM
$180 seems pretty reasonable for an actual Baldor Tool & Carbide
grinder. When I was shopping, I saw nice ones with pedestal stands
advertised for $500+.

This one is missing the mitre and the coolant drip pot (mounts on the
studs above the wheels). The stated green colour of its wheels
indicates they are Silicon Carbide and intended for sharpening carbide
tools. For HSS tools, white Aluminum Oxide wheels are more suitable.

Boucher
12-03-2010, 03:21 PM
That looks like a good deal to me. I would use a VFD to power it. I have a VFD on my 2X72 belt sander and it is amazing how it improves its usefullness.

Rosco-P
12-03-2010, 04:48 PM
You have at least one other machine with a three phase motor? The VN, right? What about you SB lathe? Single or three phase? Build the RPC once, run all your machines and any new ones you add. Three phase, 5HP motors are dirt cheap, try a scrap yard that deals in non-ferrous scrap only, they're likely to have a pile of motors. Bring your VOM or DMM to check out the windings. Lots of plans on the 'net.

gnm109
12-03-2010, 05:16 PM
You have at least one other machine with a three phase motor? The VN, right? What about you SB lathe? Single or three phase? Build the RPC once, run all your machines and any new ones you add. Three phase, 5HP motors are dirt cheap, try a scrap yard that deals in non-ferrous scrap only, they're likely to have a pile of motors. Bring your VOM or DMM to check out the windings. Lots of plans on the 'net.

Since a grinder is only going to be run at one speed, I second the above suggestion for a rotary phase converter. If you do a 5 hp version, you could run your lathe and the grinder.

Or, if the grinder is your only 3 phase unit, then a 1 hp 3 ph motor could be easily turned into a small RPC.

VFD's are nice if you want to change speed on something with a 3 phase motor. I'm guessing that if you have an SB lathe, it's single phase...could be wrong but likely. the grinder doesn't need the speed control and you can get motors pretty cheap. I got a brand new 5 hp motor on eBay delivered for $110. I added a contactor and some capacitors and it provides good stable 3 ph power for my 3 hp Webb Variable speed Mill.

The reason I like RPC's is that they are very simple. If one quits, it's easily fixed. Yeah, I know, VFD's never quit. Yes they do. Not often but when one does, if you ask anyone how to fix it, you get that "deer in the headlights" look. :D

AllThumbz
12-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Eddy> I figured I would order the miter gauge and drip pots from the Grizzly/HF machine.

Rosco-P> All my machines are 3 phase: SB 10L, VN #12, Burke #4 but I'm no electrical wiz, so I was planning to put a VFD on each (2 on the VN, 1 for each motor). I'm not sure I could build a phase converter without blowing the house up.

From what I hear, I didn't get nipped too bad, despite the lack of miter, drip pot and the fact that it was painted (which always makes me suspicious but especially when someone paints a grinder, because like who cares what a grinder looks like?).

Thanks for the opinions- I really appreciate it.

gda
12-03-2010, 06:19 PM
You got a good high quality tool for the same price as a new POS one from Harbor freight - so not bad on that count. You did not get ripped, but it was not a steal. The thing is it's value will probably never go lower.

I checked the bid history on it, there were a few people in the hunt and placed their value near yours - so that should make you feel good - they can't all be shills.

EddyCurr
12-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Eddy> I figured I would order the miter gauge and drip pots
from the Grizzly/HF machine.Do not order the HF/Grizzly mitre. IMO, this is a poorly designed piece - it
does not hold a setting well. Also, while I haven't checked, I suspect the
slot width is different on the Baldor, so the G/HF mitre would not readily fit.

If the G/HF drip pot is inexpensive, then it might be worthwhile buying
rather than making. Only get one, that's all that is required and it is all
that came with my HF.

Carld
12-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Your got a good deal but don't buy a drip pot. Buy the miter from Baldor, it will fit your grinder and be better quality.

AllThumbz
12-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Eddy & Carl> Thanks for the good advice. I will contact Baldor for the mitre gauge.

AllThumbz
12-03-2010, 10:44 PM
You got a good high quality tool for the same price as a new POS one from Harbor freight - so not bad on that count. You did not get ripped, but it was not a steal. The thing is it's value will probably never go lower.

I checked the bid history on it, there were a few people in the hunt and placed their value near yours - so that should make you feel good - they can't all be shills.

Good points. I very seriously considered the Harbor Freight tool for $189.99, and then using George Wilson's methods (I think it was George- I saw a video on YouTube on modifying the HF Grinder) to fix the tables. Of course, as you aptly point out, you still don't have a Baldor when you are done.

I don't want to "steal" anything (ok, ok, yes I do, I want you guys to call me a bastard, I admit it LOL), but I am glad consensus is that I did ok. So many "kits" in my little shop now, I just didn't want to get one more, yanno?

I have a VFD that someone gave me, and I will probably try to hook that up to the leads on the grinder, replace the green wheels, buy a miter gauge and give her a whirl trying to grind my own HSS bits.

Thanks for all the advice, guys....

Carld
12-03-2010, 10:56 PM
I'll tell you something else you will be doing. You will switch to a diamond wheel for grinding carbide on one end and a white wheel on the other end for HSS cutters. So don't waste your money on a green wheel and go ahead and buy a diamond wheel.

CDCO has a diamond wheel for a very good price, I have one of theirs and it works for me.

AllThumbz
12-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I'll tell you something else you will be doing. You will switch to a diamond wheel for grinding carbide on one end and a white wheel on the other end for HSS cutters. So don't waste your money on a green wheel and go ahead and buy a diamond wheel.

CDCO has a diamond wheel for a very good price, I have one of theirs and it works for me.

Ah, I planned to toss the two green wheels it had on it. I think I will be doing HSS first to learn on, so I will definately need a white wheel for HSS. I hear the diamond wheels are awesome, but cannot be used on HSS. I will definitely check out CDCO. Thanks again Carl.

gwilson
12-03-2010, 11:08 PM
The ad said the unit was COMPLETE. It is NOT. You are missing the miter gauges,which is a serious omission,plus the water pots. They are probably going to soak you for the miter gauges.

There is a second "Baldor grinder" offered for about $585.00. I may be wrong,but it looks like it has the cheap pot metal miter gauges off an import. Looks like pot metal trunnions under the table too. Is this guy taking a Baldor motor and hanging import parts on it??? Maybe I'm wrong,but I thought the genuine Baldor miter gauges were a LOT better than those shown. You all be careful.

Forrest Addy
12-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I wish my import face wheel grinder was 3 phase so I could use a VFD on it.

You will discover that a variable speed grinder is very handy. Alum oxide wheels run best at about 5500 ft/min (3500 RPM for a 6" wheel - 60 Hz on the VFD)) and 3200 ft/min for diamond on carbide (2040 RPM - 35 HZ).

A 3/4 HP cheapo 115 volt in VFD offers a lot of flexibility for $106.

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=28&PID=1105

Shop carefully, the link is just one of many choices.

AllThumbz
12-03-2010, 11:35 PM
I wish my import face wheel grinder was 3 phase so I could use a VFD on it.

You will discover that a variable speed grinder is very handy. Alum oxide wheels run best at about 5500 ft/min (3500 RPM for a 6" wheel - 60 Hz on the VFD)) and 3200 ft/min for diamond on carbide (2040 RPM - 35 HZ).

A 3/4 HP cheapo 115 volt in VFD offers a lot of flexibility for $106.

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?cID=28&PID=1105

Shop carefully, the link is just one of many choices.

I hear what you are saying Forest- you feel it is worthwhile to have the fine variable speed control that running a three phase motor off a VFD supplies for the white (alum oxide) and diamond wheels. As it happens, someone GAVE me a VFD for free a while back. It isn't the latest model, but I doubt that matters. I am thinking to wire the 1 phase input up to a 220V plug and the output to the motor leads and see if it works. If so, maybe I can get fancy and put a forward -reverse-stop switch on it through the 24V terminal.

This will be a precursor to hooking up my Burke #4 mill and SB 10L Lathe since the grinder is a simpler hook up.