PDA

View Full Version : Other Item I picked up

BillH
12-16-2003, 09:27 PM
http://home.comcast.net/~billh308/Lufkin1911.jpg
The guy that was selling the lathe also had some micrometers for sale. Since I did not own any, I bought an old Lufkin 0-1" #1911 for 15$
Perhaps 15$ was a little much, but since I didnt own one, it was much cheaper than a new one for 100$ It is very smooth, been playing with it, measuring stuff, comparing the results with my HF digial caliper. The micrometer is definetly more accurate, but the HF calipers seam to allways be within .0005.

ARFF79
12-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Just a thought, you are finding that your readings are different between the mic and the calipers. Could it be that those of us in the business often refer to them as very near calipers for this reason? If you measure an item 5 times with a mic, unless you force it against the part, your reading should be the same each time(on round parts always make sure you are reading the centerline). If you do the same exercise with a caliper your may get 5 different readings. Digitals are more consistant than dials, and conversely dials are more contistant than plain verneers(less fine adjustment)I believe it has to do with the contact angle of the jaws as well as force applied by you as you slide them against the part. I had a foreman tell me once to measure 3 times and use the average of the 3 as the actual number and to besure to check at least one of the parts with the proper type of mic to be on the safe side. LIke anything else the more you use something the better you get at it. Thats why so many shoprats have so many toolboxes. Need to have space for all of those different mics, just to say that they have one when they need it. Lot of money in this trade/hobby just in measuring things.

SGW
12-16-2003, 10:28 PM
A professional machinist friend of mine is quite partial to old Lufin micrometers; he likes them a lot.

dhammer
12-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Hi,

Fifteen dollars seems like a very reasonable price to me..Old Lufkin mics is a venerable brand. I have a few myself. I do however like my dig. mics.. easy on these old tired eyes.