PDA

View Full Version : How NOT to uscrew a chuck...

KiddZimaHater
12-03-2010, 08:38 PM
What exactly is this idiot trying to do with the lathe?
It's lucky he didn't loose his leg.
Lathe accident (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628)

KiddZimaHater
12-03-2010, 08:41 PM
I just noticed .... The dumba$$ kid standing behind the headstock hits the power button on purpose.
I would've wrapped that chuck key around his scrawny neck!

MotorradMike
12-03-2010, 08:50 PM
I already saw this video.
Stupid for sure.

My questions are:
Why is he behind the lathe?
Why did the lathe stall?
The chuck is moving slowly and is stopped long before one of the boys says "Stop button".

Don't get it.

gda
12-03-2010, 08:59 PM
He was trying to see if he was stronger than the lathe and it he could keep it from moving. He certainly proved that he was not smarter.

Black_Moons
12-03-2010, 09:39 PM
I think this is a failed darwin award, Kid 1 wanted to keep lathe from turning.. In lowest gear. Kid 2 was onhand to turn it on/off while kid 1 tryed to hold it from turning.

Kid 1 epicaly fails, Saved only by the moderately good reaction time of kid 2.

Kid 1 nearly became the next LatheAccident.jpg (Do not google unless you like rotten.com quality dismemberment photos)

Of course, Im sure lathe safty instruction would go over a lot better if the first thing they did was show that photo.
'Do not X. Do not Y. Do not Z. Or this will be you: *half the class pukes, 2 kids faint and 1 runs outta the room crying* Do I make my self CLEAR?'

Ken_Shea
12-03-2010, 10:06 PM
That moron could be president one day :rolleyes:

Carld
12-03-2010, 10:51 PM
I wonder if they can talk him into catching a .45 in his teeth? :D

MotorradMike
12-03-2010, 11:32 PM
OK gda and Black_Moons, now I get it.
Thanks.

The lathe didn't stall, kid stopped it long before the request.

Test of strength.
Goliath won.
The world is as it should be.
I never believed David had a chance anyway.

Ken_Shea
12-04-2010, 12:16 AM
I wonder if they can talk him into catching a .45 in his teeth? :D

The important thing is that he tries :D

gnm109
12-04-2010, 01:07 AM
I guess they were attempting to unscrew the chuck using the lathe power. It's an argument for a lathe with a D1 style chuck mount.

platypus2020
12-04-2010, 01:24 AM
His parents will probably sue, because he wasn't told he couldn't do it. Its been said "life is hard, even harder if your stupid". It appears his life is going to be real hard.

jack

Arcane
12-04-2010, 01:46 AM
I guess they were attempting to unscrew the chuck using the lathe power. It's an argument for a lathe with a D1 style chuck mount.

If that were they case, they really failed. The rotation of the lathe when they switch it on would be screwing the chuck on, not off.

mike os
12-04-2010, 05:41 AM
Some people deserve to be horribly maimed......in this case there are 3-4, one of the stupidest tricks I have seen for years, and I have seen some stupidity in my time.

jugs
12-04-2010, 06:31 AM
Some people deserve to be horribly maimed......in this case there are 3-4, one of the stupidest tricks I have seen for years, and I have seen some stupidity in my time.

Mike,
Add this to your stupid collection,
An unmaned snow blower (lots of whirly cutty things:eek: ) moving down the road, no one else about, now where's the best place to take pics ? behind it....mmmm no :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcoojeMExCc&feature=related

john
:)

mike os
12-04-2010, 08:12 AM
som people dont deserve life

gda
12-04-2010, 08:20 AM
It is just another example of lack of respect for the power of something based on a lack of knowledge.

I showed my 6 year old son the video to show him how dangerous the machines could be and why we don't fool around in the shop. He gets it, but it was good to show him non-gory "proof"

wierdscience
12-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Idle minded teenaged boys doing what idle minded teenaged boys do-Stupid stuff,nothing ever really changes does it?:D

Ken_Shea
12-04-2010, 09:59 AM
gda's post reminded me of when we were all about to turn 16 at school (drivers license time) , they gathered us all in the auditorium and showed us a movie called "Signal 30", a movie of violent deaths from car accidents, it worked, at least to some degree my entire life, never forgot it.

Might be a good idea to show similar but relative to those interested in that type of thing in the home shop or vocation schools as gda did. Make use of utter stupidity.

Would you believe it, "Signal 30" from 1959 :)
http://www.archive.org/details/Signal301959

bborr01
12-04-2010, 10:56 AM

Sure could. Look at our last president.:D

gnm109
12-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Sure could. Look at our last president.:D

And the present one....what about him?

Ken_Shea
12-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I'd say more but my teleprompter isn't working. :D

vpt
12-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Funny how calm everyone seems to be. "Did you hit stop? Oh ****."

Lots of bright ones in that shop.

vpt
12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
I am also suprised the key in the chuck cleared the ways.

bborr01
12-04-2010, 12:03 PM
My question is where is the shop teacher when these knuckleheads are climbing on the machinery?

Brian

Ken_Shea
12-04-2010, 12:04 PM
Of course I am glad that the little DA did not get injured (Thinking of my own stupid stunts as a kid) but I did get a chuckle as to the urgency at which he spoke while his foot was trapped.

vpt
12-04-2010, 12:57 PM
My question is where is the shop teacher when these knuckleheads are climbing on the machinery?

Brian

Having a beer in the instructor quarters. :D

gwilson
12-04-2010, 01:25 PM
I was in Alaska from 4th. grade till the end of 10th. grade. Lots of earth moving,bulldozing,and logging going on al the time. I was setting dynamite all Summer at 14.

In the 8th. grade,us boys were shown a film put out by Caterpillar. It was terrifying to us young boys. It showed how many ways you could get killed or maimed by messing around with heavy equipment either as an operator who got careless,or as a kid playing around a parked bulldozer with the blade left up.

It certainly did no harm for us to see it,gory as it seemed at the time. I'll bet these days,we'd NEVER show such a shocking film to our little darlings. Too bad.

Maybe stupid acts like the one in question might be averted with some similar film viewing. One instructor used big cow bones to show how easily machines can break or crush them.

I taught shop for 6 years. you can't trust kids out of your sight. The worst they got away from with me was throwing gym shorts into the disc sander a few times. I had to take the table off of it to get them out. No one ever got injured in my classes. They were afraid of me(I broke a few dowels over some rear ends back in the 60's),they were kept busy,and they weren't left alone.

Tinkerer
12-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Mike,
Add this to your stupid collection,
An unmaned snow blower (lots of whirly cutty things:eek: ) moving down the road, no one else about, now where's the best place to take pics ? behind it....mmmm no :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcoojeMExCc&feature=related

john
Must of been a Gubermunt Employee. Well if something went wrong they'd not have far to lay 'em to rest.

Now to the OP here is the reason why Shop Classes are being shut down. Where was the "Teacher" at when this group of future leaders gathered around with phones out and the main actor placed his foot on the bed. I doubt this is the first brilliant stunt this group has partaken in. I'd say ex-spell them but that would teach them nothing. I'd set then down and show them the photo's of the poor souls that have gotten killed or maimed by machines. Then make them clean the floors and all the lathes under-drive after that for a month... set them in the corner with a dunce hat on... mittens and a sign around the neck stating "I'm not smart but I got lucky this time" .

I'll also bet they are big fans of Jackass. :rolleyes:

jugs
12-04-2010, 02:01 PM
gda's post reminded me of when we were all about to turn 16 at school (drivers license time) , they gathered us all in the auditorium and showed us a movie called "Signal 30", a movie of violent deaths from car accidents, it worked, at least to some degree my entire life, never forgot it.

Might be a good idea to show similar but relative to those interested in that type of thing in the home shop or vocation schools as gda did. Make use of utter stupidity.

http://www.archive.org/details/Signal301959

Quote from coments below film-

"It probably would not be allowed to be shown in schools today due to its graphical nature. I am sure some of the parents who complain would be ones that let their children see slasher movies and watch CSI.

Too bad. The film was not meant to shock as much as show there is a consequence (and possibly a gruesome and deadly consequence) for one's action. Often not a popular concept in today's society.

If it were shown in today's classroom, students would sneer and laugh trying to show they are more cool and more sophisticated (of which they are neither) than the 1959 audiences who watched it....all except those in the class who lost a mother, father, brother or sister in a car accident.

Other than the age of the cars, nothing keeps the film from being as powerful today as it was nearly fifty years ago when it was produced. Despite improved safety features on modern cars, we still have thousands (literally) of individuals who never return home from a car trip.

The main theme, as the narrator often brings up, is there is a cost for acting stupid."

Too true.

john

Spin Doctor
12-04-2010, 04:17 PM
What exactly is this idiot doing with a lathe?
It's lucky he didn't loose his leg.
Lathe accident (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628)
An example of why I sometimes think you should need a license to own power tools

Alistair Hosie
12-04-2010, 04:30 PM
Rules over here in college are different, the teacher has a key to electricity shut off for all machines , plus every few machines there are hanging chains when pulled they switch everything off.The electricity to machines may not be switched on without the teacher lecturer being present even during tea break til he comes back it's no power other than heating fans lighting etc.Seems to work good. Alistair

photomankc
12-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Hold my beer and watch this.

That sucker looked geared down and I bet it would have wrapped his leg around the chuck a few times before it started groaning a bit.

AllThumbz
12-04-2010, 07:19 PM
It only takes a moment of stupidity by the kids and inattention by the supervising teacher for something like this to happen. The on/off switch of the lathes should be keyed so that this canot happen if the teacher leaves the room. The boy was lucky his leg wasn't shattered in several places.

When I was a lad, they had wood shop in elementary school. The radial arm saw was considered the most dangerous tool in the place, and it had a key switch, and the teacher never left the key in the switch in an "on" position. Because I had worked around machinery at an early age, the teacher allowed me to use the machine without him standing over me, as he did with the others.

I can just imagine these kids today left alone with such a piece of equipment.

Bolster
12-04-2010, 11:59 PM

Yes, he could! One of the primary qualities we like in a president is a near complete misunderstanding of reality. So I say the kid qualifies as excellent presidential fodder, and is a likely candidate for a Nobel prize, too.

gwilson
12-05-2010, 12:02 AM
The Nobel Peace Prize: They started it with the inventor of dynamite!! Oh,Yeah!! That'l stop war!!

whitis
12-05-2010, 01:14 AM
The Nobel Peace Prize: They started it with the inventor of dynamite!! Oh,Yeah!! That'l stop war!!

Actually, Alfred Nobel, who invented dynamite (and many other things) left the money in his will to found the Nobel prizes. He was not the first recipient of the prize. Like Mark Twain, he had the dubious distinction of reading his obituary years before he died (the paper got confused when his brother died). It was titled "The Merchant of Death is dead". So the Nobel prizes were a way of atoning for his sins and/or cleaning up his image.

oldtiffie
12-05-2010, 01:56 AM
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=d27_1291395628

I'd have to be convinced that it was not pretty well rehearsed and staged event as well as edited.

Not a sign of torn clothes or skin, no bruising or blood etc. or broken bones either. And the "victim" didn't look or sound as if he'd been through any significant recent trauma either.

I'm inclined towards cynicism and a hefty helping of doubt in these matters.

Ken_Shea
12-05-2010, 02:02 AM

Not a sign of torn clothes or skin, no bruising or blood etc. or broken bones either. And the "victim" didn't look or sound as if he'd been through any significant recent trauma either.

While that is all regrettable :D, it looked plenty real to me.

My vote is cast as: - true

Ken_Shea
12-05-2010, 02:09 AM
OT, just watched that numerous times, stopping the sequence of events, you may just be right.

oldtiffie
12-05-2010, 02:24 AM
Sorry about that Ken as it seems that I my have put "kibosh" on a good video - and a chance for a good rant (and rave?).

kibosh, kybosh
to finish, to end. The OED says the origin is obscure and possibly Yiddish. Other sources[6], suggest that it may be from the Irish an chaip bháis meaning "the cap of death" (a reference to the "black cap" worn by a judge passing sentence of capital punishment, or perhaps to the gruesome method of execution called pitchcapping)[7]; or else somehow connected with "bosh", from Turkish "boş" (empty).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_Irish_origin

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kibosh

Ken_Shea
12-05-2010, 02:27 AM
Well,
I am highly disappointed but accept your apology :D

spope14
12-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Showed this to my students after a days worth of thinking about it. They were completely appaled and thought this was beyond idiotic. Not all kids think stupid things are great.

One comment a student mentioned was "I can't imagine this happening in this shop when we have a safety nazi like you". I took this as a compliment.

Each day I interweave safety into the days lesson or work in some way or another. Common sense really, this is habit.

Can't speak for the instructor who this happened to, only for myself.

philbur
12-05-2010, 12:22 PM
What else did you expect them to say.

Phil:)

Showed this to my students after a days worth of thinking about it. They were completely appaled and thought this was beyond idiotic. Not all kids think stupid things are great.

One comment a student mentioned was "I can't imagine this happening in this shop when we have a safety nazi like you". I took this as a compliment.

Each day I interweave safety into the days lesson or work in some way or another. Common sense really, this is habit.

Can't speak for the instructor who this happened to, only for myself.

oldtiffie
12-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Well,
I am highly disappointed but accept your apology :D

Yeah - right Ken.

The OT title was: "How NOT to uscrew a chuck..."

Just a couple more observations I was going to mention earlier:

If the chuck were being unscrewed and if the thread were right-hand, that chuck key would have been being pulled from the front and the lathe put into reverse (which it wasn't); and

I'd be surprised it that fairly modern geared-head lathe had a screw-nose spindle end anyway. I'd expect that it would have a "D" or other type of cam fastening system - or a "bolt-to-flange" type adaptor.

It would have been nearer to say that - if it were not "fudged" or "staged" - that the kids were trying to stall the spindle - ie not let it start up power.

But I still think its a very good "con" with considerable pre-planning, rehearsal and editing.

Its purpose was to "suck in" the usual suspects who could not miss a chance to "pile on" and "rubbish the kids", "stick the slipper into" the kids and newbies etc.

Previous lectures etc.etc. by the "wise and well-informed" etc. may have prompted the video.

Seems it worked pretty well too.

All the previous "noise" is conspicuous by its absence.

One - a very good one too - for the "kids" and "newbies".

wierdscience
12-05-2010, 01:13 PM
In the 8th. grade,us boys were shown a film put out by Caterpillar. It was terrifying to us young boys. It showed how many ways you could get killed or maimed by messing around with heavy equipment either as an operator who got careless,or as a kid playing around a parked bulldozer with the blade left up.

Shake hands with Danger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_gEVILWVUM

Arcane
12-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Three Finger Joe...

I remember seeing that safety film back when I was an apprentice in the mid seventies. It was an order of magnitude better than most of the stuff we we subjected to and we saw it several times. For some reason it was never boring which I credit to the catchy theme song.

Tinkerer
12-05-2010, 03:01 PM

I'd have to be convinced that it was not pretty well rehearsed and staged event as well as edited.

I'm inclined towards cynicism and a hefty helping of doubt in these matters. I've watched it a few times... slowed it down. I still say he had a case of Dumb Luck. Lathe was in low or back-gear and other kid toggled the power on and off. Had neither of those two thing been the case you'd of had your blood and bones. As for the fool not showing significant vocal change adrenalin rush affect people differently some people shriek some don't ask any paramedic. Plus I think he did not want to draw more attention to his plight.

whitis
12-05-2010, 04:46 PM
I also watched it in slow mo. Downloaded the youtube version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpSFu_dQhS0
Did not look edited or staged.

Some people shouldn't even be allowed to operate an electric toothbrush.

gwilson
12-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Not "Shake hands with danger." Older black and white film,and MUCH scarier!!

I would have watched it in the early 50's.

spope14
12-05-2010, 05:30 PM
What else did you expect them to say.

Phil:)

Did not even hear a laugh. The instant reaction of what they saw was good enough. You are right, what else did I expect them to say? Hopefully I train them OK enough to know that what was on the vid was totally stupid.

As for my choice to show them the vid? I figured they would see it sooner or later, this one has gone "viral", so I thought I would get ahead of the curve.

KiddZimaHater
12-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Old Tiffie, the reason I labeled this thread "How NOT to uscrew a chuck..." was because I had no idea what these dumba$$ kids were trying to do, at first glance.
Upon viewing the video a few times, I now realize the 'Tough Guy' was trying to hold back the chuck while it was in low gear.
(Watch this, fellow idiots...I'm stronger that the motor!!!! :rolleyes: )
HA!! Didn't work out too well for him, did it?
I don't think this video was faked, staged, or edited.
Just pure dumb luck that that kid didn't break his leg. And he's also lucky that the lathe was in low gear, giving him a split second to leap over the lathe.

Abner
12-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Next up H. S. auto-mechanics - or - How to straighten bent drive lines by securing sideways in a 4 jaw chuck.
:p

Elninio
12-05-2010, 11:38 PM

It wasn't turning in reverse.

Elninio
12-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I was in Alaska from 4th. grade till the end of 10th. grade. Lots of earth moving,bulldozing,and logging going on al the time. I was setting dynamite all Summer at 14.
I taught shop for 6 years. you can't trust kids out of your sight. The worst they got away from with me was throwing gym shorts into the disc sander a few times. I had to take the table off of it to get them out. No one ever got injured in my classes. They were afraid of me(I broke a few dowels over some rear ends back in the 60's),they were kept busy,and they weren't left alone.

I was reading in another forum on zoklet.net - amongst how to steal chemicals and build explosives - a thread about what bad things kids do at school; one reports carving swasticas in the bathroom stalls, one reports breaking school windows, /one reports lighting another kid's hair on fire while he was using the bandsaw/.

When I was welding in shop class, we got one welder per two students. My partner couldn't find the insulated pliers to cut the extra electrode (because it was a wire-feed MIG welder), so he grabbed it with his hands covered by the sleeves of his shirt, he must have gotten a terrible shock because the wire was turning to red very slowly (a good 10 seconds) before he was able to let go. After he let go he claimed he had chest pains. Jeez, what was I thinking to just passively tell him not to do it, I should have kicked him in the grown to back away when I saw him reach - but we were all little ****s back then, I was more afraid of him beating me up for it after class!

When I was about 10, I climbed into an industrial dumpster and smashed some large 1 meter bulbs (not the rods, but oval shaped ones) - they must have been filled with mercury I would imagine. Another thing I did that was far less dangerous was, I hopped a barbed-wire fence into an industrial place that had large metal spirals in drums outside(what now I realise, were lathe swarfs), I pressed some buttons on the machines inside before running away.

boslab
12-06-2010, 07:19 PM
when did anyone start using LH threads on chucks? it screws off to the front not the back!
mark

Richard Wilson
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Ken_Shea]gda's post reminded me of when we were all about to turn 16 at school (drivers license time) , they gathered us all in the auditorium and showed us a movie called "Signal 30", a movie of violent deaths from car accidents, it worked, at least to some degree my entire life, never forgot it.

http://www.archive.org/details/Signal301959[/I]
When I did my Track Access training in the UK in 1995 so that I could work on the railways, they showed us a no holds barred film of what happened to people when they got in the way of trains, even when the train was travelling at walking pace. Full butchers shop job. This stuck in my mind, and I always gave moving trains a very wide berth, thanks to the film. When I had to redo the training in 2006, because my ticket was out of date, there was no film. I asked the trainer why no film, and he said that they couldn't show it any more because people had complained it was too gory.

Richard

Elninio
12-11-2010, 01:12 AM
[/I]
When I did my Track Access training in the UK in 1995 so that I could work on the railways, they showed us a no holds barred film of what happened to people when they got in the way of trains, even when the train was travelling at walking pace. Full butchers shop job. This stuck in my mind, and I always gave moving trains a very wide berth, thanks to the film. When I had to redo the training in 2006, because my ticket was out of date, there was no film. I asked the trainer why no film, and he said that they couldn't show it any more because people had complained it was too gory.

Richard

How did people manage to get mangled by trains going at walking pace?