PDA

View Full Version : Photobucket going down...hard to use

J Tiers
12-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Just recently, yet another "improvement" to Photobucket seems to have been made, one that means I may have to try to find another site....

it used to be that you could easily copy a photo link from a drop-down. No more..... now you apparently have to open a separate window, pick a tab, do the copy, and then close the window.

A couple of clicks has been turned into a much longer series of mouse moves and clicks. How convenient....... NOT.

Photobucket used to be good, without the "fluff" slowing down and complicating the other sites. That seems to be a thing of the past now, it's as bad as "Flickr", which BTW seems to be going the other way, getting faster and leaner

Does one need to upgrade membership to get away from this exta make-work?

vpt
12-04-2010, 11:47 AM
http://imageshack.us/

Ken_Shea
12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Maybe I am not understanding, it still had the drop down menu, all that needs to be done is put the cursor on the thumbnail, if the image is enlarged that same drop down information is to the right of the picture.

alanganes
12-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Jerry,
I just used my Photobucket account to put that photo in the "solenoid" thing I posted this morning. I did not see that change. When I mouse over the photo a menu appears that has "direct link", "Image code", "HTML", and "Email & IM" choices in it. I just clicked on the "image code" one and it copies to my clipboard.

Just tried it again now, seems to work. Maybe just misbehaving when you tried it or something? I have only a freebee account.

I must agree with you, I generally get sick of the "upgrades" sites like that keep doing. Mess up a good thing, often times.

-Al

lakeside53
12-04-2010, 12:44 PM
It's always been a little asymmetrical - my normal album view" requires cut and paste of the link info; the individual picture view has always automatically copied the link under the mouse click.

I could care less - it free... or at least my version is.

As for upgrades messing with your head - rule one, which I broke at yesterday at the 11th hour - "don't upgrade your software if the schedule is pressing..." lol... I've been using Visio 2003 for the past 7 years, then an architect sent me autocad files that had minor problems, so I upgraded to Visio 2010. Not only is the interface completely different, but the 2003 Visio file with Autocad drawings embedded wouldn't read - "not a valid CAD file".. and I'd done an upgrade, not a separate install... and no old 2003 disks to be found anywhere. 30 hours of work locked in a mass of error messages, and deliverable by Sunday. I had a work around by 11pm last night (still will take a few hours to "fix"), but I was sweating...

Interesting : the change in menu system from Office 2003 to 2007/10 has spawned a few "freeware" program - load them and it displays your interface as "Classic", and you can switch between the two. I'm not going there, but I can see it would save a lot of staff retraining, or get someone out of a 11.59 bind.

Carld
12-04-2010, 12:52 PM
For some reason they like to change it all the time. I guess it caters to the kids that use it more than we do. You know the kids like to be Hip Slick and Cool and anything we like they hate.

It ain't broke but they like to keep fixing it anyway.

dockrat
12-04-2010, 12:52 PM
It works the same as ever for me. Mouse over the thumbnail and drop down menu appears. Click on the img code and it copies it to clipboard. Dunno what is going on with yours.

J Tiers
12-04-2010, 12:54 PM
That's just the thing.... the drop down appears, BUT DOESN'T WORK.

Used to be you could right-click and copy, but for me, with Firefox, it won't work anymore. it worked just a few days ago before they changed the "look".

dockrat
12-04-2010, 12:57 PM
That's just the thing.... the drop down appears, BUT DOESN'T WORK.

Used to be you could right-click and copy, but for me, with Firefox, it won't work anymore. it worked just a few days ago before they changed the "look".

AHHH Jerry maybe thats the problem. No more right click.....hover over the img. code and LEFT click now and "copied" will appear where the image code was. Not sure if thats the same in firefox tho

S_J_H
12-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Something must be wrong on your end. I just hover over a pic and the drop down appears, then it is just a single click on one of the drop down selections and it is copied to the clip board.
Steve

PTSideshow
12-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Check your no script blocker setting, Even the forums with the advertising some of the posting format functions that are script driven only work when the temporary allow is activated. I Know that is the problem with windows 7 and photobucket and this and the other village site. To use all the formatting tools in above the post message box. Even the smilies don't work on some sites.

Granted the NoScript software is becoming bloated and stopping more and more. There is another one at the add on site for firefox I'm thinking of checking it out.

I was having the same problems and it does work now with the temp allow activated just have to remember to do it each time I use it.

whitis
12-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Copy and paste from that flash crap they have no business using never worked right for me. I used to be able to copy it by marking the text and hitting control-C but the intended method of clicking on it and copying to the clipboard didn't work. Now it won't let you copy it. But it does copy to the clipboard, now, by the non-standard mechanism of clicking on it, the way it was supposed to "work" originally. But it only works with one of the two copy and paste mechanisms on Linux. It puts it in the clipboard, but not in the selection buffer (which is more convenient and powerful). Oh, and I have to let the flash blocker run flash - each box with the links is a separate flash subwindow.

So, yes, they have changed from one brain dead implementation to another.

recoilless
12-04-2010, 07:51 PM
I switched to Flickr several years ago before pbucket was over run by the ads I see now. My problem was I was locked out of my account several times and trying to get help from the folks there was becoming my groundhog day.

Your Old Dog
12-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Webshots.com works fine for me.

oldtiffie
12-04-2010, 09:27 PM
PB has changed a bit recently - with little warning and less info on using it in its updated state.

I didn't have any trouble sorting it out and it works very well on my XP and W7 machines.

mike os
12-05-2010, 06:25 AM
sounds like it is as useless as it has always been:rolleyes:

aboard_epsilon
12-05-2010, 09:25 AM
it's very slow with me ..diificult to use ..finicky cumbersome.

hard to get back to the original album ..once you've posted a pic ..takes several clicks to return ..it wants you to edit and name the picture ..when i don't want to...pages slow to load ..it waits for the adverts whilst you wait .

who said :- image avenue ..i don't like that thing../not recommended ..when you are in a forum and you click on a pic it takes you to the site ..with pop ups ..and installs a full page pop up poker.com behind your explorer .

all the best.markj

J Tiers
12-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Actually, I find that Photobucket is now a LOT, and I mean a REAL LOT FASTER to load pages than it ever was before... Recently, when searching for a picture, I have failed to notice that the page had changed, I was expecting the usual slow re-load.

So it isn't as if the site is really "worse". The speed is easily 5x faster than it has ever been before.

I had tried all sorts of clicks though, with no result on the drop-down. As far as I know, I have NO special add-ons in Firefox....... Other, of course, than whatever they downloaded to me without my knowing it..... the FF folks like to do that.

gnm109
12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree with JTiers that Photobucket has recently become more difficult to use. They have added numerous ads to pay for the site, I guess.

Therefore, I've developed a technique that seems to work fairly well. When the site opens up, I make sure to keep the cursor in the right margin, away from the links. I only move it to the exact point that I want. That way I avoid the minefield of ad links that they now have. It still works that way, but I agree, it's not fun.

The most negative issue for me is the change to the way you now have to capture the photo for transfer in order to link. Formerly you only had to highlight and copy then paste to the area where you would use it. Now, you move over the area and it will tell you (faintly) that the link has been copied. It's hard to tell that you have it.

On the good side, they do provide a lot of storage free and you don't have to upgrade. So I figure, heck with it.

PTSideshow
12-05-2010, 11:48 AM
As far as I know, I have NO special add-ons in Firefox....... Other, of course, than whatever they downloaded to me without my knowing it..... the FF folks like to do that.
The other thing is you have to have the latest, version of the adobe flash script or it doesn't work.

I believe that adobe now owns the bucket, and control/C still works with mine.
Here is the forums link for photo bucket (http://forums.photobucket.com/index.php) when they have a change to the site the forums can be a little slow loading due to traffic. But you might be able to find the cure or a work around to the problem in one of the forums.