PDA

View Full Version : How do ya keep chips outta yer shoes?

lbhsbz
12-04-2010, 11:34 AM
....a problem that has existed since I started placing with mills. The chips end up on floor, and consequently, come time to walk outta the shop, I've gotta spend 15 minutes with a pair of pliers pulling all the chips outta the soles of my shoes before I can think of walking in the house.

These gotta be a Better way to do it.....perforated rubber mats? Different shoes?

jep24601
12-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Different shoes kept at the workshop door.

Arthur.Marks
12-04-2010, 11:49 AM
I've been using these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#6808t11/=a0382o
I have a line of three of them leading out the door :) They don't get everything, but they get most of it. Depends on how big your chips typically are or how deep they've embedded themselves into your sole, I guess.
http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/116/gfx/large/6808tc1l.gif
I also find that flat-bottomed soles are easier to clean than boots with deep ridges.

strokersix
12-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Infrequent use of air hose and frequent use of vacuum and broom works for me. Pretty good but not 100% effective.

Carld
12-04-2010, 11:57 AM
Floor mats suck, you can't sweep them off. Long pants, high top boots and tie a rope around the bottom of you pant cuff. Change shoes and completely blow off all your clothing BEFORE you leave the shop to go in the house or your vehicle.

It really wakes you up stepping on a chip in the middle of the night bare footed :eek: :D and if your wife steps on one may God forgive you, she won't.;)

lynnl
12-04-2010, 12:11 PM
The type of sole will make a big difference.

Leather soles will be good. There's also a sole, the name of which I can't remember, that is a hard black rubber with embedded bits of cork. That stuff would be nearly impervious to most chip penetration.

drmico60
12-04-2010, 12:12 PM
....a problem that has existed since I started placing with mills. The chips end up on floor, and consequently, come time to walk outta the shop, I've gotta spend 15 minutes with a pair of pliers pulling all the chips outta the soles of my shoes before I can think of walking in the house.

These gotta be a Better way to do it.....perforated rubber mats? Different shoes?

I have an electric nibbler for cutting sheet metal. This creates thousands of crecent shaped pieces of swarf. This embed themselves deeply into any type of shoe and they are really difficult to remove.
Mike

lakeside53
12-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I use industrial rubber mats with a full grid of about 3/4 inch holes. "Most" of the chips go into the holes or are scuffed off the soles by the action of the rubber. To clean, I vac/sweep the top, then lift the mats and vac underneath. I hate walking on concrete floors with chjips - that mats make for a more comfortable environment.

My wife used to complain about sawdust in the house.. now it's those nasty metal chips that get caught in the hardwood floor joints, and grab your sock (and worse) as you walk by.

jugs
12-04-2010, 12:21 PM
How do ya keep chips outta yer shoes? Plenty of tomato sauce to stick them to the plate,
Use bigger plate,
Wear flipflops. :D

john
:)

saltmine
12-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I sually change my SFM and the spindle speed. Makes the chips bigger.

My shop has a concrete floor and I wear smooth soled work shoes, so , my biggest problem is getting chips in my shirt, and socks.

jugs
12-04-2010, 01:10 PM
I sually change my SFM and the spindle speed. Makes the chips bigger.

My shop has a concrete floor and I wear smooth soled work shoes, so , my biggest problem is getting chips in my shirt, and socks.

Why would you want to. :confused: , I suppose you could always use a shovel :D

john
:)

38_Cal
12-04-2010, 01:19 PM
How do ya keep chips outta yer shoes? Work barefoot? :D Seriously, frequent sweeping, good floor mats, and relatively smooth soled shoes have worked for me. I keep a small wire brush by the shop door and give them a brushing before leaving the shop if I've been generating a lot of chips. I still occasionally bring one into the house, probably off of my clothes rather than my shoes, though.

As much of a pain as metal chips are, though, they are still much better than getting a porcupine quill in the foot! While I was going to gunsmithing school in Susanville, CA, a friend came over with one that he had killed and skinned, asking my wife if she would cook it for him...his wife would have nothing to do with any meat that didn't come wrapped in plastic or a can from the local store. So, we cooked it, it was ok but a bit different, and about a week later, my wife ended up with a quill in her foot. Probably was on my friend's jacket or jeans, and dropped off in the house. All I can say is it's a good thing she didn't sit on it! :eek: :D

David

Paul Alciatore
12-04-2010, 01:31 PM
I just use the door mat. Two in a row, one for the worst of it and the other to finish up.

As having your wife step on a chip reminds me of a true story a co-worker told me some years ago. He was an avid electronics hobbyest and his barefoot wife stepped on a DIP chip that had dropped from his work bench. Not one, but 16 punctures at once. OUCH, 16 times! Boy did he hear it.

The Artful Bodger
12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Change shoes at the door!

My new shop will have an outdoor 'decomtamination zone' of about 10' walk along a gravel path which I think will extract most bits from the shoes.

Soft soled shoes on a concrete will pick up the chips for sure so how about a soft 'shop floor? Now I know why the old timers had dirt floors in their shops!:D

AllThumbz
12-04-2010, 04:38 PM
What about one of those mats with the hard bristles that stick up? Rubbing your shoes back and forth on one of those a few times should remove all but the most stubbornly embedded chips on your shoes, no?

metalmagpie
12-04-2010, 04:49 PM
homey .. ju need some chop chooze ..

Cheech

lane
12-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Stand on a mat and wear good boots.

biometrics
12-06-2010, 03:38 PM
How about buying some inexpensive cotton or synthetic tube-type sweat socks that will fit over your shoes? When you leave the shop, pull the sock off and pull it back on when you reenter the shop.. if it gets frayed... then throw it away... They may cost some money, but certainly less than a trip to the emergency room to dig a chip out of your foot, or the glare you will get from your wife :eek: if she is the one to "find" the stray chip with her foot.

You could try this technique in combination with some of the other suggestions... Good Luck.

Mike Burch
12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I wear a pair of steel-toecapped boots and a pair of overalls in the workshops, They live just inside the shop door, and keep my clothes clean and my toes attached.
Shoes are banned inside the house anyway.

bborr01
12-06-2010, 05:12 PM
1. I usually use a shield, much like the one Sir John recently posted in the "shop made tools" thread, to deflect the chips away from me.

2. I have a mat that is made of rubber and has nubs sticking up about every inch or so and the chips go between the nubs. My shoes stay on top of the nubs.

3. Keep a push broom handy and use it.

4. Change shoes before entering the house.

I spent the better part of 30 years working in chips and the majority of my co-workers had work shoes or boots that never went home with them. Bring them in new in the box and pitch them in the trash when they need it.

As for getting chips in socks, refer to #1.

Brian