PDA

View Full Version : Can I tow a BP down the street on the shop crane?

RichTes
12-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Had to let a neighbor stick my BP in his garage, but won't be able to get out with the forklift. Five houses down the street. Garage to garage move.

I feel safer with the hoist than a pallet jack. Have a 13hp diesel Iseki tractor with a little front end loader that I can pull it along with. Was going to attach the hoist to the loader for stability.

Any reasons this is that bad of an idea? Can't lift it with the loader, but sure can pull/push it along in low gear.

Rich

2ManyHobbies
12-04-2010, 10:53 PM
If it stops suddenly on a pebble or curb or starts to swing out past the feet, you're done with it.

I'd be inclined to move an anchor point and winch it by hand or borrow a trailer for the afternoon, but that is just me.

dp
12-04-2010, 10:54 PM
If it's my street and you're looking for a good home for it, then yes, definitely.

RichTes
12-04-2010, 10:56 PM
I have a trailer with a ramp, but getting it on and off the trailer seems harder than finding a way to keep it on the ground.

That's why it's there - couldn't get it off the trailer easily

Rich

ADGO_Racing
12-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Build a good heavy angle iron frame and add some Horror Fright pneumatic wheel/tires. Frame would just fit the base of the BP. Tow entire assembly home safely. This way, it won't be swinging, soft tires or wheels will absorb small road imperfections, curb transitions, and pebbles. Also if designed properly, just leave it on the frame in the shop, just jack each end up and remove the 4 wheels.

x39
12-04-2010, 11:26 PM
For a short distance like that I'd hire someone with a tow truck. Just pick it up with the boom, tie a couple of tag-lines to it and crawl down the street.

Robin R
12-05-2010, 12:32 AM
If you were determined to try using the engine crane, span between the feet with some sturdy boards and lower the mill down onto them while keeping a little weight on the boom.

oldtiffie
12-05-2010, 12:44 AM
If one of the cast-iron wheels on the engine hoist brakes you are going to have a real problem.

I'd use a fork lift if the mill could be moved out of the garage onto the concrete apron - and move it to your apron.

Failing that, I'd use a tilt-tray tow truck with a good power winch and tie-downs.

I'd have the mill on a pallet.

whitis
12-05-2010, 01:36 AM
For a short distance like that I'd hire someone with a tow truck. Just pick it up with the boom, tie a couple of tag-lines to it and crawl down the street.

tow truck. crawl. Around here those are mutually exclusive. I have one friend who was t-boned by a tow truck and I arrived at the scene of another accident, before the ambulances, where a tow truck t-boned a pickup. Two of the occupants were dead and the other was still in a coma 2 months later.

bob ward
12-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Find someone who runs a crane truck and offer cash $$ for a 20 minute job. Safe and cheap.

If you DIY with decent size wheels on a suitable frame, a mill of that weight can easily be moved by hand. If you need to tow with the tractor to overcome the drag of small crappy wheels, keep your camera rolling for your entry in Funniest Home Video.

davidwdyer
12-05-2010, 05:58 AM
One time I bought some square tubing to fit inside the engine hoist "feet," cut and welded an angle on both sides (sort of like an "L") and then put on car hubs with wheels and tires.

On the other end I welded a trailer hitch.

I moved many Bridgeports around a farm yard between the barn and the garage with this latch up. (I was buying and selling used ones at the time.) You have to go slow and keep them from swinging, but it works. However, it's a lot of work just to move one.

John Stevenson
12-05-2010, 06:06 AM
Do you guys have skip trucks in the US ? or is it a European thing ?

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/skip54521-a-skip.jpg

These are awesome for moving machines as once hanging from the chains they CANNOT tip over.
They lift vertical, move over the bed horizontally and lower vertically.
No inclined ramps that give you heart attacks.

Once on board you strap the machine to the lift arms and again it can't move, fall over etc.

At full extent they finish up with the top only about 5' off the floor.
I have even had them poke the arms into the shop, grab a machine and move forward until they are clear to lift.

They are plentiful around here, 15 pages of entry's in the local yellow pages and that doesn't cover builders merchants who run they for their own needs.

Nice thing is the people who operate these offer the lift / load as a service when you hire a skip, they do not have the same mindset as riggers who charge by the hour.

That one in the picture can handle about 14 tons lift but you can get them based on small trucks classes as mini skip.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/miniskip.jpg

One similar to this collected and delivered my Victoria U2 universal mill with no bother.

rock_breaker
12-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Just moved an 1100 pound lathe, I put the machine on planks then rolled it off of the trailer onto shop floor. Used 1/2" pipe under the planks, I used several 2" x 8" x 6 feet planks and a lot of cribbing blocks to get from trailer to shop. I failed to crib the back end of the trailer after unhooking but fortunately a step in walkway prevented disaster.

It seems like the short horizontal distance leads one to jury rig the move, as has been indicated above keep it close to the ground, balanced and secure from tipping. The comment about America's Funiest Home vidieos cannot be over emphaszed !!! In actuality there is not a great difference between a 300 foot move and a 300 mile move, the stability of the machine must be top priority since the safety of the people and the machine depend on it.

It takes lots of cribbing to keep the machine stabile. but you can roll up and down ramps etc. as long as they are not steeper than the machines tipping angle. Keep the support under the planks close together to prevent breaking the planks.

Rex
12-05-2010, 08:29 AM
If you were determined to try using the engine crane, span between the feet with some sturdy boards and lower the mill down onto them while keeping a little weight on the boom.

+1 THis is the way to do it if you stick with your original plan

Be sure to lower the head down onto the table to get the CG low as possible.

RichTes
12-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Thanks all. Going to have a real problem getting it in the garage door on my side, so may have to do like I've done on other machines and shorten it. I pulled a Van Norman #10 (1,400lbs) up and down the ramp on my trailer with the electric winch, so if the BP were a little lighter could probably do the same.

Been looking at larger 6" wheels for the hoist. Guess I better get moving on that.

Rich

Arthur.Marks
12-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Do you guys have skip trucks in the US ? or is it a European thing?

I, for one, have never seen or heard of such a thing in the US.

smalltime
12-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Tow truck + twenty minutes + cash = moved BP.

jep24601
12-05-2010, 08:48 AM
I think you could just drag that on a good pallet adequately bolted down. Have two helpers with pry bars to help at any road imperfections. Keep the tow rope long to avoid lifting the front of the pallet too much. Have some steel pipe handy as rollers if you need them. Go slow. Wave at neighbors.

Circlip
12-05-2010, 08:57 AM
There's an ulterior motive to his worships posting, drop the Bridgy in the skip and take it to the scrappy:D

Regards Ian.

aboard_epsilon
12-05-2010, 09:11 AM
I, for one, have never seen or heard of such a thing in the US.

they call them dumpsters in the us ..and you guys are always on about diving in them so they must exist .. :)

all the best.markj

The Fixer
12-05-2010, 09:48 AM
I moved mine in with a tow truck, piece of cake. He was able to boom it right inside.
Not worth dickin around with any other way. IMHO
al

Duffy
12-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Dumpsters are not the same as your skips. They are generally smaller and used almost exclusively for commercial waste from stores and restaurants. For demolition and industrial waste we use bins. They have latching double rear doors and are loaded and carried by dedicated trucks. Around here, the big ones are 30 cubic metres, (or 30 cu. yds. close enough.) The house next door, being demolished/renovated/rebuilt, filled three of them at a hair over $1000.00 a pop for disposal.

aboard_epsilon
12-05-2010, 10:41 AM
yes we have the big square ones that have doors at the back ..they are all carried by the same type design of lifting mechanism on a of truck ..

truck size is relatrive to skip size .

there are skips from 1 ton upwards

funny thing is when they first introduced the word "skip" over here i thought the word was an Americanism...or more likly Australian

all the best.markj

MickeyD
12-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Since you have an engine hoist, rent or borrow a crappy little trailer and move it on that. Don't be scared to overload it, you are only going a few hundred feet, just make sure you tie down the BP so that it does not tip. My old next door neighbor and I used to swap a lot of machinery back and forth and that is how we did it. Damn engine hoists try to tip just moving them in the garage, I would hate to hit a pot hole with one while your mill swings around.

Rustybolt
12-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Ditto.
Rent a trailer.
If it was valuable enough to buy in the first place, then spend a dime and do it right.

gda
12-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Whatever you do please post pictures!

John Stevenson
12-05-2010, 12:07 PM
You can even get them for moving Sherlines around.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/10DP18T.jpg

Tinkerer
12-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I would not trust the cheese wheels on those lifts. :eek:

I'd make a skid out of 4x4 lumber. Use the hoist to set it on and bolt it down then left up the front end of the skid and place the FEL under it... set down. Next take 2" ratchet straps and secure mill to bucket and back tractor down the street. Will make a little noise from the bucket dragging but no more then a snowplow passing by. Should not take more then an hour to complete the task including building the skid.

Yes whatever you decide please take pictures ;).

The Artful Bodger
12-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I would not trust the cheese wheels on those lifts. :eek:

I'd make a skid out of 4x4 lumber. Use the hoist to set it on and bolt it down then left up the front end of the skid and place the FEL under it... set down. Next take 2" ratchet straps and secure mill to bucket and back tractor down the street. Should not take more then an hour to complete the task including building the skid.

Yes whatever you decide please take pictures ;).

Does the tractor have four wheel driver? Weight on the bucket reduces weight on the rear wheels. Do the rear wheels have directional treads? Reduced weight and trying to back down the street might just spin those wheels.

Otherwise, I too would go for a skid if the tractor is up to it. My father and I moved a quite large two floor wooden farmhouse about 5 miles over farmland using nothing but timber skids and two tractors and we didnt break even one window.

ADGO_Racing
12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Trailer rental is a good idea as well. Uhaul rents an open trailer 6 x 12 I believe. has 2 axles, it is definitely rated to move a BP. 19.95/day. I think you can rent half day as well. NOT ALL Uhaul locations have these trailers. Call them to find one, so you can save yourself some time and headache. However, I believe you can drop them off at any Uhaul center.

I have four 48" lengths of 1" pipe, I use to move various pieces of equipment around the shop. Using a small block of 2x4, a pry bar and these four rollers, start to finish, I can move the #4 horizontal across the shop (about 75 feet) in about 15 minutes, by myself.

Tinkerer
12-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Does the tractor have four wheel driver? Weight on the bucket reduces weight on the rear wheels. Do the rear wheels have directional treads? Reduced weight and trying to back down the street might just spin those wheels.

Otherwise, I too would go for a skid if the tractor is up to it. My father and I moved a quite large two floor wooden farmhouse about 5 miles over farmland using nothing but timber skids and two tractors and we didnt break even one window.
Beats me but the OP'er said the thing could push or pull it so going off his info I take it it has enough ass to do the job... just not lift in into the air. And with the bucket on the ground I don't see any real weight loss to the rear wheels. The idea of placing the front edge of the skid in the bucket is two fold one keeps it from snagging and two stability. If for some reason it does not have the power I'm sure hooking a lawn mower or an atv ahead of is will get the circus moving. Which still sounds better then using an engine hoist as a transporter.

gwilson
12-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I hired a tow truck to move my 16" x 40" lathe,and my Bridgeport clone on separate occasions. Both worked out well,and cost was low. The tow truck even managed to get the lathe most of the way under my garage door at my last house,to where it was on smooth concrete,and I could manage it from there.

The Artful Bodger
12-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I hired a tow truck to move my 16" x 40" lathe,and my Bridgeport clone on separate occasions. Both worked out well,and cost was low. The tow truck even managed to get the lathe most of the way under my garage door at my last house,to where it was on smooth concrete,and I could manage it from there.

Yes, a tow truck is the best alternative to DIY, after all a tow truck is not much different to a big engine hoist!

Ron of Va
12-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Another vote for a tow truck, the ones with an engine hoist, not a roll back.

I used a u-haul trailer to move a mill 40 miles to my house. When I arrived home I realized that there was no way I was going to get the mill out of the trailer with my 2 ton engine hoist. Waaaay too dangerous, somebody could easily get hurt. (I have a $100 deductable for the emergency room at the local hospital. I have been there many times, and donít want to go back.)

I paid a tow truck driver the $100 bucks to take the mill out of the trailer, and back down my driveway to my garage. He took the mill out of the trailer with the boom, and then lowered it down on the lower lift for stability, the one that clam shells under the front tires of a car. Piece of cake, well worth the $100 so no one gets hurt, and the mill does not fall over.

38_Cal
12-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm in a little town in the sticks, three years ago I got the local skid loader dealer to come over with one of his machines with forks on it instead of the bucket to get my mill off of the trailer when I brought it home. Placed it on 1" pipe, the rest was easy...moved it to where it would live in the garage and built the shop around it. :D He was happy with a $20. :D I've got a line on a 13x40 lathe, have to do the same thing...if I get it. When I built the shop, I put in a 4'x8' door into the garage area, in case I ever moved or had to get machinery in or out.

David

HSS
12-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Do you guys have skip trucks in the US ? or is it a European thing ?

http://www.roadtransport.com/blogs/big-lorry-blog/skip54521-a-skip.jpg

These are awesome for moving machines as once hanging from the chains they CANNOT tip over.
They lift vertical, move over the bed horizontally and lower vertically.
No inclined ramps that give you heart attacks.

Once on board you strap the machine to the lift arms and again it can't move, fall over etc.

At full extent they finish up with the top only about 5' off the floor.
I have even had them poke the arms into the shop, grab a machine and move forward until they are clear to lift.

They are plentiful around here, 15 pages of entry's in the local yellow pages and that doesn't cover builders merchants who run they for their own needs.

Nice thing is the people who operate these offer the lift / load as a service when you hire a skip, they do not have the same mindset as riggers who charge by the hour.

That one in the picture can handle about 14 tons lift but you can get them based on small trucks classes as mini skip.

One similar to this collected and delivered my Victoria U2 universal mill with no bother.

The scrappy here where I stays, uses some that looks like this one.
So they are around here and not just over the pond.

rohart
12-05-2010, 06:09 PM
No one has mentioned my favorite transportation method. I like a box van with a tail lift. You can more or less roll a machine onto the lift platform with the rollers.

Unless there's an ignition interlock you can drive with the tail down, so all you need to do is rope it firmly, lift 6" and drive.

Cost marginally more than a similar van, unless you know a delivery driver.

When I transported my lathe I winched the machine out of the van with a chain hoist hooked to the back of the van. A very flexible solution, and easy to reverse the lowered tail into the garage.

mike os
12-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Come on guys it is down the street not 5 miles away....

pallet truck & pallet...strap machine to pallet & lift 1" of ground. if it rocks, just drop it down. Moved a 650kg(1450lb) lathe on my own lke this, no worries

mike4
12-05-2010, 07:25 PM
The scrappy here where I stays, uses some that looks like this one.
So they are around here and not just over the pond.
I use a tilt tray which can pick up and deposit machine door to door ,all insured and professional ,anything from a single pallet to twenty tonne machines.

As once that machine tips and bites the bitumen it may as well be scrap.

Michael

RobbieKnobbie
12-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Speaking from VERY costly experience, do NOT use an engine hoist to move loads a single inch. A lot of good ideas have been offered here, all of which are better than risking dropping your machine if one of those brittle cast wheels gives out on you.

Machtool
12-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Can I tow a BP down the street

David Bowie knows about that. Take a look at 1min 50 seconds into this video. Nothing more than a pallet jack and a rope. Probably best if you didn’t do it in peak hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA)

Regards Phil.

Rustybolt
12-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Whatever you do please post pictures!

Yes! Lots of pictures! Better. Video!!

Liger Zero
12-06-2010, 08:22 AM
David Bowie knows about that. Take a look at 1min 50 seconds into this video. Nothing more than a pallet jack and a rope. Probably best if you didnít do it in peak hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA)

Regards Phil.

So apparently... towing a bridgeport down the main drag... gets you chicks.

PeteF
12-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Not sure about towing the Bridgeport, but I can say I've been awfully pissed* in the pub where that video was shot!

*that's the Australian version of pissed btw

vincemulhollon
12-06-2010, 03:16 PM
Come on guys it is down the street not 5 miles away....

pallet truck & pallet...strap machine to pallet & lift 1" of ground. if it rocks, just drop it down. Moved a 650kg(1450lb) lathe on my own lke this, no worries

I moved thousands of pallets of salt at that weight when I was a kid. That would only be 18 80 pound bags and I believe we stacked up to 32 80 pound bags per pallet. Don't forget that when (not if) it gets away from you, drop it long before you get above walking speed. Once its moving too fast it'll slide quite a distance or even find a way to tip.

Balance is important and don't just center the load on the pallet but center the center of gravity on the pallet and also center the pallet on the jack.

And whatever you end up doing, don't hurry.

davidwdyer
12-06-2010, 06:02 PM
My wife found a picture of the little Bridgeport mover, which I mentioned in a previous post, made out of a engine hoist. Thought I'd include it here for your amusement.

It certainly won't work to move a mill more than a few hundred yards (or meters). Also, this picture must be almost 20 years old.

http://www.johndyerco.com/Dad/BridgeportMover.jpg

jugs
12-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Had to let a neighbor stick my BP in his garage, but won't be able to get out with the forklift. Five houses down the street. Garage to garage move.

I feel safer with the hoist than a pallet jack. Have a 13hp diesel Iseki tractor with a little front end loader that I can pull it along with. Was going to attach the hoist to the loader for stability.

Any reasons this is that bad of an idea? Can't lift it with the loader, but sure can pull/push it along in low gear.

Rich

That was
Yesterday, 03:15 AM -Five houses down the street. why is it still there :confused:

Crane it onto a strong pallet,
bolt/strap it on,
put pallet truck under,
move it to new house,
put into position,
leave it bolted on pallet (so you can move it about when you want more space, or have a long work piece ),
put kettle on,
wire a long flexible mains cable ,
test run while you drink tea/coffee.

45mins tops (30mins if there's 2 of you).

Go & collect your crane.

john
:)

Robo
12-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Like the engine hoist with the tires and tongue on it. That would work great IMO. But I think if I had my choice I would call a tow truck the "boom" style not a flat bed and get it done once.....the right way without incident. Be careful things go bad in a hurry!!!

John Stevenson
12-06-2010, 06:58 PM
I can take one to pieces in under an hour.

Head off,
Top off,
Bed off,
Knee off
Then load the carcase in the bucket and weight the bloody thing in........

Tinkerer
12-07-2010, 01:44 AM
That was
Yesterday, 03:15 AM -Five houses down the street. why is it still there :confused:

john
:)
Maybe it's not... maybe it's on the side of the road hanging precariously from a hoist with a broken caster ... :eek:

darryl
12-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Yeah, you can probably see a bit of the smart car sticking out from under it :)

EddyCurr
12-07-2010, 02:28 AM
Not sure about towing the Bridgeport, but I can say I've been
in the pub where that video was shot!Coober Pedy, yes?

Was the horse still standing on the porch with its head hung in over the
swinging doors?

Machtool
12-07-2010, 03:04 AM
Coober Pedy, yes?
I'm pretty sure its the Carinda Hotel. Town of 200 people about 650 Km's north west of Sydney. Just off the Castlereagh Highway that heads north to Quennsland, inland at Gilgandra. Copper Pedy would be too hot for any mere mortal.

Regards Phil.

Circlip
12-07-2010, 06:10 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can take one to pieces in under an hour.

Head off,
Top off,
Bed off,
Knee off
Then load the carcase in the bucket and weight the bloody thing in........

Sir John, Earl of Bridgeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE
[ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Took a few more postings to get there but - - - - - - :D (post #19)

Regards Ian.