PDA

View Full Version : look what Santa brought!

Mcgyver
12-06-2010, 09:23 PM
This nice old 10ee arrived Sunday. Bit of tool gloat in that it was cheap cheap cheap and well tooled, chucks, steadies, faceplate QCT etc....price was cheap because it didn't work but within 12 hours there were 5 guys telling the owner they're in if i pass.

it was a bit of a roll of the dice because if these old drives don't work who knows what you're up against....although this era of 10ee I think has the reputation of being fairly solid. So anyway, I get it home and Vendor had been using a 1-3 hp static phase converter :p . Take that off, it must have been why didn't work, hook into my 3p and she fires up! beautiful! Got some arcing on a contact and posted on the Monarch forum but all and all pretty solid little lathe for $500 :D. Got lucky on this one.

Feels kind of neat firing up a lathe like that, the thing came into service when there Spitfires and Mustangs filled the air......and with a little bit of restoration (maybe a grind, maybe a scrape) it'll still work better and longer than anything made today.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSC_6471-large.jpg

Liger Zero
12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
The lathe I learned on was a blue painted Monarch from 1942. I came to prefer that lathe over the other two that we had. There was also a cranky turret lathe but that's a different story.

It was quite cool turning out little metal widgets for electromechanical computerized mail-sorting machines on a machine older than my parents.... a machine that given it's age was a War Vet, possibly across several wanrs.

Every so often it would refuse to engage... you'd have to turn it off at the switch and rotate the chuck by had just a little bit then hit the switch again and VOOM.

When I get to be that old, I hope that's my only personality quirk. :D

AllThumbz
12-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Very solid lathe, and a great deal at $500.00. Congratulations on a fantastic purchase McGyver!

macona
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
The motor-generators are pretty robust. It probably just needs the exciter flashed to get it going.

bborr01
12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Nice score, Mcgyver.

Let me guess, Craigslist?

Brian

macona
12-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Oh yeah, I have a spare DC control box that I am trying to find a home for. Thats the box you can see with the contactors. The one I have is the newer improved one with replaceable contact tips.

MotorradMike
12-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Mcgyver:

do you own all the houses in the picture?
Just wondering where you put all this stuff.

Mcgyver
12-07-2010, 07:44 AM
Mike that's become a serious problem. I can barely move. I've got a 10ee in worse shape than this, no drive train, that is in line for restoration. I went for this one because i thought it would be much closer to being in running condition which it turns out is the case....long term though I don't need two. My DSG's motor is pooched, currently out for a rewind, will get it back hopefully tomorrow. Yesterday i had three full sized lathes none of them working, at least now one runs :D

Both lathes could do with a rebuild. Scraping in the dovetails and redoing/fitting the tailstock and barrel are obvious areas needing attention. That makes them both candidates for a bed regrind; if nothing else i wouldn't want to put the effort into making crossfeed, compound and tailstock perfect without have the ways in a similar condition. First though I'll change the oil and see how it cuts.

Brian, close, it was kijiji

Jerry, that's tempting, I wonder if it would make sense just to change the contactors? The lathe works, but am getting arcing on two sets of contacts. Are you parting one out? I need a nameplate :p

Ken_Shea
12-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Makes you feel really good to get a real deal doesn't it :)

A Monarch 10ee is one that I would really like to get, but alas, and like you, no present room, still if I found one for anywhere close to that kind of money it would be grabbed.

There was an Italian lathe made that was very high quality that I'd seen but cannot recall the name.

John Stevenson
12-07-2010, 01:47 PM
There was an Italian lathe made that was very high quality that I'd seen but cannot recall the name.

Nardini ??

wierdscience
12-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Makes you feel really good to get a real deal doesn't it :)

A Monarch 10ee is one that I would really like to get, but alas, and like you, no present room, still if I found one for anywhere close to that kind of money it would be grabbed.

Graziano?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/graziano/index.html

lazlo
12-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Graziano?

http://www.lathes.co.uk/graziano/index.html

Graziano indeed. John's SAG 12 is gorgeous. Definitely in the 10EE, HLV, Schaublin class...
The carriage joystick is a masterpiece :)

All the electromagnetic clutches would make me nervous, but basically all the manual toolroom lathes had old-school varispeed systems, because they wanted to avoid a gearbox.

Fasttrack
12-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Well... it's a little small for my tastes, but I guess you did ok ;) :D

In case you couldn't tell, I'm jealous. Are you going to keep both of those 10EEs or are you going to sell the incomplete one and focus on restoring this one?

That DSG and the 10EE make for one hell of a combo. What's the story on the DSG? I think I must have missed several posts about it. Just the motor or is there other work to do yet, too?

Ken_Shea
12-07-2010, 03:31 PM
I had though of Nardini, then that's all I could think of, a name that ended in ini :D

Graziano it the one and would have never thought of it till I read it.

macona
12-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Jerry, that's tempting, I wonder if it would make sense just to change the contactors? The lathe works, but am getting arcing on two sets of contacts. Are you parting one out? I need a nameplate :p

No, the box was out of my '42 when I did the servo conversion. So it was working then.

I think one of these boxes would be worth keeping a spare of. The individual parts are almost impossible to find and the boxed themselves are interchangeable. The individual components are often different but the external connections are the same.

Mcgyver
12-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Jerry I'll send a PM - sounds interesting, just not sure i can fit me and the box in the garage

Tom, Getting one of each was a long term objective, I just waited until they came along. Like you, now its a matter of getting them in top notch shape

had trouble with the DSG motor, fried lead to the stator, its being rewound right now. A rewind and new bearings was maybe a little more than a used motor but it was an awkward frame size/hp to find. Up until then it was making chips, big 7.5hp chips :D....here's a gratuitous pic. I want to scrape the dovetails and replace the crossfeed screw eventually, but need to get a 10ee fully done first. I think the DSG bed is good enough, it would a be a lot to send it out, the bloody headstock's got to weigh as much as a small car and i have no lifting/moving machinery.

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSC_4099-large.jpg

Not sure what i'll do with the 10ee's. One for sure gets the complete treatment....they both really need a rebuild, maybe i'll do both and sell one....but long term i won't be keeping a two. The latest acquisition just seemed like it was closer to at least running.

I'm getting a big spark out of one of the DC contacts....not sure how much is normal. Is this just a matter of cleaning the contacts? any advice on how to do so? I remember you're not supposed to use emery and would like to hear how you're supposed to do it

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy132/michael01000/DSC_6496-large.jpg

Fasttrack
12-07-2010, 07:11 PM
DC is more prone to arcing than AC, although the difference between mains frequency AC and DC is minimal. At Fermilab we have to switch some very high voltage, high current DC loads and it's very tricky thing to do.

Anyway, the reason you aren't supposed to use emery cloth on contacts is because some contacts have a thin gold or other plating on them. I suspect your contacts are solid and you could use an abbrasive.

That said, you can also use a little bit of "electrical contact cleaner" and a piece of cardboard. Just burnish the contact with the cardboard they way you would with actual emery cloth. Shoot it a couple of times with contact cleaner and try it again. If it is pitted (which will cause arcing) then you'll need something more aggresive to smooth out the surface.

Awesome shot of the DSG, by the way ;)