PDA

View Full Version : OT Adding a blower to a wood stove insert.

srecker
12-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Hello all,

I recently bought a house with a fireplace insert, but it doesn't put out much heat. I mean the stove gets hot but doesn't warm the house much. I think a blower would be a huge help.

The problem is I have an oddball brand of insert from a company that no longer makes stoves. Any existing blower I found for wood stoves are fairly expensive and I would have to modify/fabricate the mounting as well. So I was thinking of using three muffin fans mounted to a plate blowing into the air gap in the stove, but I want variable speed. The problem is I am not sure what type of fans I should get.

The cheapest fans from Enco are about $10 which is great but I don't think they will work. I want to use a rheostat to control the speed with a thermal switch to turn the fans on and off. I would have additional switches to turn the individual fans on or off.

Actually writing this all out, maybe I am making this more complicated than it needs to be. Maybe instead of variable speed I will just have a switch for low, medium and high. Each speed would turn on the next fan. Three speeds should work as well shouldn't it?

Any ideas/help would be appreciated.

Scott

torchroadster
12-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Not sure what you're dealing with on the fabrication but from my personal experience with our insert with fan is you don't want too much airflow, definitely variable speed although your 3 speed idea is probably fine, thermostat control is nice so it will shut off in the middle of the night after the fire burns down, and quiet operation is very important.

Good luck!