PDA

View Full Version : dedicated threads for our forum

dvk
12-13-2003, 11:33 PM
Here's an idea, I for one like to share tidbits I learn in my experiance in machining, especially with others who are where I am Just starting out, I have a whole list of tips and tricks I've aquired as I progress in this hobby, I would like to share these things with other newbies, it looks like others have great tips too, that we could all benefit from, so why don't we start a thread that we could always access to add to it on tips and tricks in the shop, which means is if someone has a tip to share, go to the search and pull up the dedicated thread "tips and tricks", add your new post in that thread and go from there, so we could archive one thread for the use only, another thread could be dedicated to frequently asked questions, and so on, how does this sound people...

[This message has been edited by dvk (edited 12-13-2003).]

Joel
12-14-2003, 12:05 AM
It sounds excellent to me dvk. Might I suggest placing it on the Networking forum so it doesn't disappear?

Forrest Addy
12-14-2003, 12:28 AM
I dunno. It seems like these dedicated fora wind up as lairs for single interest experts and traps for the naive. Often plausible sounding tips become fads accepted by unwary lurkers who, when confounded by difficulty, fear to request assistance though the fault may not be theirs.

I often get emails from people I've never heard of asking for help off-forum. I enjoy helping them out but not so much if it's because they fell into a trap following someone's plausible sounding nonsense. I get irritated at the waste of time generated by someone who posts untested reccomendations so he can sound like an expert.

For example, plate glass used as a flatness reference is a recurring tip by the credulous when it fact unless the glass is inches thick it's too flexible for such a service even in a home machine shop. A cheap import granite flat for $30 is a much better choice.

If these tips and tricks are aired in a general forum they can be vetted and commented upon by experienced people. Thus one who tries a new method will have the benefit of wider experience. After the tips and tricks have had opportunity for critical comment maybe then would be a good time to archive them by subject.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 12-13-2003).]

Thrud
12-15-2003, 02:52 AM
Forrest

I have recommended heavy float glass ans an alternative if you do not have access to any granite plate. To be fair there have been ceramic and glass surface plate made in the past for aerospace and they were expensive tools. You are correct about low cost granite plates being available, but for the casual HSM - do they really require a B grade plate? Or can a $5 piece of Float glass from a glass shop make do for the average guy that does NOT HAVE two sets of Gauge blocks, height gauges, surface gauges, height masters, master squares or a large granite flat? Of course they don't.

pgmrdan
12-15-2003, 05:31 PM

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-08-2004).]

JCHannum
12-16-2003, 12:58 AM
I agree that too many opinions may be presented that a beginner may take as fact with frustrating, at the least, results.
As regards the surface plate discussion, the degree of accuracy required will dictate the best method of layout.
I have a couple of granite surface plates around here, and a beautifully hand scraped cast iron one, but my drill press table or mill table is adequate for most of my layout work.
BTW, there is a difference between window glass, plate glass and float glass in manner of production and flatness of surface.
I question the advice to use a discard from a monument maker as well.

bspooh
12-16-2003, 06:36 PM
I think having a "tips" thread is a wonderful idea..There are alot of tricks out there that would be nice and helpful if everyone had a chance to view..While some tips can confuse the "beginner", but I think the positive knowledge gained would out weigh any negatives...You are not forced to act out any tips and tricks, if you want to try it, then great, if not, then great...it doesn't matter...Some tips are great in that they "spark" other ideas..

I personally welcome any tips and tricks out there...there is much more to learn out there than just "theory"..

Bring it on!!!

brent

BillH
12-16-2003, 06:49 PM
hmm, could post a sticky thread in this one, that is a thread that allways stays at the top, never dissapears. Moderator would have to do it.

wierdscience
12-17-2003, 11:53 PM
I have seen on other forums the threads I think you are refering to,but they seem cluttered and hard to keep up with thats why I like this one,it may not get as detailed as we would like and it may get off topic occasionaly,but you can't beat it for the money http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Headstone drops for surface plates?I like what my local monument guy told me years ago when I asked him how flat they are,his exact words were"flat?sure-as flat as a potato chip" http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Oh I got two surface plates(18x18 Yausa and 18x36 import)but still use float glass sometimes,Its cheap,is all over the place,its flat and indicators points love it more than granite

Ragarsed Raglan
12-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Last night I screw cut a 0.680" x 20 tpi shaft, and internally screwcut a matching nut.

I called it the HSM fine. Have I dedicated the thread to this BBS??

RR