PDA

View Full Version : Bit the bullet today

klemchuk
12-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Finally got up the nerve to buck up for a Kurt D688. Bolted it down, and dialled it in, then made the first cut. What a difference from the POS Elephant brand I was using!!!

bborr01
12-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Hard to go wrong with a Kurt.

Brian

morehelium
12-09-2010, 01:05 AM
...Kinda makes you wonder why you waited eh!

You will not regret the extra few bucks for the 688 over the 675 either, it will prove useful.
If you don't have one already get one of the 3 or 4 spoked speed handle thingies too, it will make a world of difference.

Is the old POS vise resting peacefully at the bottom of the Fraser?

Chris

Bill Pace
12-09-2010, 03:08 AM
Probably 95% of my tools are Chinese/Taiwan, with 3-4 'bad apples cast out, and I enjoy using the rest with no complaints in my home shop environment.

But... when I got my 675 Kurt and set aside the Chinese clone, I was blown away at the difference. I had heard all the ho-haw and praises, but kept blowing it off as "a bit too much" -- for a 'vise'? Well, color me a believer now, there is a remarkable difference in a Kurt - I love mine.

philbur
12-09-2010, 05:46 AM
Which POS Chinese vise are we talking about here.

Phil:)

Amigo
12-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Klem, Your new Kurt 688 has got to be a super nice vise. I have a 25 year old Kurt D60 bought new & it was the "bees knees" in its day and the newer models are even better.

RTPBurnsville
12-09-2010, 07:39 AM
Same here.... Bought my 688 two years ago and could not be happier. Good tools are just so nice to work with.

madman
12-09-2010, 09:33 AM
I have quite a few Machine vices but the kurt is one of my favorite . I bought it at a auction for 50 dollars from the machine shop owners Wife. It was like new. What a shame to sell one so cheap eh ???

squirrel
12-09-2010, 10:10 AM
After buying a new VMC the thought of using a used Kurt was tossed aside and a new one was purchased. It was like night and day between the used Kurt and the new Kurt. Needless to say all the used ones were dumped. Based upon finding extreme runout after a couple of years of use I now consider the vise consumable tooling.

hardtail
12-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Congrats on purchasing and enjoying some quality......one of the frequent questions for noobs starting out here......and I guess with reason given the price differences, being that a vice is usually ground zero of any operations about to take place I took that advice and stepped up to the plate right off the bat.......that recent Vancouver craigslist ad was tempting though, it would be nice to have 2 at times.......heck I would have bought the lot and flogged the rest........