X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike4
    • Aug 2010

O/T Increased airport security

Does anyone in the US know if the security on outbound freight has been increased lately as I have some parts coming from Chicago which the USPS site says was processed at 4-40 pm on Dec6 2010 and they dont seem to have moved since then .
    I contacted Australia Post and got told that there were delays on items leaving the States due to increased security checks on items flying from the airports now .

Thanks in advance.

Michael
  • lazlo
    • Jun 2006

Heh. I sent an item the other way -- to Australia, about 3 weeks ago (during Evan's Chinese letter rant) and it still hasn't shown up either.

I'm guessing the world's custom's agents are carefully picking through mail, looking for printer cartridges.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• Evan
      • May 2003

I can't imagine why they would care about items leaving the US.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• x39
        • Nov 2002

Originally posted by mike4
        I contacted Australia Post and got told that there were delays on items leaving the States due to increased security checks on items flying from the airports now .
        Al-Qaeda scores again.

Comment

• lazlo
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Evan
          I'm presuming that Canadian/Australian,... customs doesn't differentiate based on country of origin, unless it's from a black-listed country.

On the other hand, the package I sent to McGyver on the same day got to him in a week and a half. Go figure.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

• .RC.
            • Aug 2004

I had an item posted on the 20th november and it arrived here last week...

The A-380 debacle has slowed freight combined with the high AU dollar and christmas..

It will arrive but the timeframe will be longer then normal...
            Precision takes time.

Comment

• chriskat
              • May 2005

I sent a package to my son day before yesterday and UPS asked for a photo ID. First time they've ever done that, I've never understood why that would increase security.

My experience using the USPS web site to try and track shipments, at least domestically in the US, is that they show picked up. The shipment arrives at it's destination, then it shows delivered. Not much in between. I don't know about international though.

Comment

• ADGO_Racing
                • Feb 2010

Because it would be WRONG for us, to start sending bombs TO the muslim world and terrorizing THEM.

Comment

• 914Wilhelm
                  • Nov 2009

God forbid there might be some bad people living in the U.S.A. who would be happy to reek havoc on any airplane.
                  Oh wait! I forgot, there are no bad people. Only people who do bad things.

Comment

• Evan
                    • May 2003

I just received a memory chip from OldGuy (thanks!) from the US and it arrived in good order (with customs declaration) and in a reasonable time.

Comment

• mike4
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by chriskat
                      I sent a package to my son day before yesterday and UPS asked for a photo ID. First time they've ever done that, I've never understood why that would increase security.

My experience using the USPS web site to try and track shipments, at least domestically in the US, is that they show picked up. The shipment arrives at it's destination, then it shows delivered. Not much in between. I don't know about international though.
                      Previous parcels could be tracked from when the sender lodged the item for posting and then the next was that it had cleared US Customs , then left the US , arrived in Australia into customs the when delivered.

This one has left the processing centre in Chicago and nothing after that.

I suppose that the job will have to wait until nearly Christmas Day for it to be completed .
                      Michael

Comment

• Evan
                        • May 2003

That sounds very similar to the problem I found here. Only after I complained to the Minister in charge of the Canadian post office did it change. The tracking system was actually broken and after the complaint it somehow changed to show more detail and everything began to arrive. When I went in to pick up three different parcels the girls at the private post office said they were suddenly swamped by a huge number of incoming parcels.

Comment

• Richard-TX
                          • Jun 2008

What AL Queda has failed to do, our Governments have succeeded in doing.

Comment

• mike os
                            • Sep 2010

...this is the purpose of such tactics

Comment

• jugs
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Richard-TX
                              What AL Queda has failed to do, our Governments have succeeded in doing.
                              I maybe an old cynic, but I've always thought we have more to fear from governments than terrorists.

john
                              John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Working...
                              X