PDA

View Full Version : face spanner

fredf
12-11-2010, 07:02 PM
I've been trying to find a face spanner with 5/64 (.078) pins to repair a sphygmomanometer. Any thoughts on who would have such a tool?? all the ones I find have pins .1 and over. I am sick of tearing up the holes using an old pair of needle nose pliers

At this rate I'm beginning to think I need to put a mill on my Christmas list! I would probably get something quite useless if SWMBO was to pick one out! :rolleyes:

MichaelP
12-11-2010, 07:08 PM
How about making one?

gnm109
12-11-2010, 07:18 PM
No Mill?

Materials List:

1. Short piece of 5/64th drill rod.
2. Small piece of 1/8" alum. or steel scrap.
3. Half an hour with a hacksaw, drill and grinder.

Voila! It's done. On to the next project! :D

philbur
12-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Steady on there Michael, with that sort of talk before you know it you'll have members going out to their shops and willy nilly making all kinds of stuff, then where would we be.

Phil:)

How about making one?

MichaelP
12-11-2010, 07:37 PM
True. :D :D :D

rohart
12-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Take a pair of needle nose pliers and use heat to bend the last half inch of each nose half through 90 degrees. File the last 1/4" to a radius to suit the holes in your nut.

Now, when you put force on to turn the nut, you are putting force into the pliers in a way they were designed for. No chewing up the holes.

I did this 25 uyears ago, and my pliers are still in fine fettle. I also use them for internal circlips (actually for external too, but that IS a bodge).

I've never come across a face nut they couldn't handle. They'll easily take a belt from my palm to jar a nut free.

J Tiers
12-11-2010, 10:01 PM
The things exist. Or did.

I have several larger Williams brand, but one no-name (possibly chinese) that has 0.076 pins. legs are about 4" long.

Probably you could make a set pretty quickly.

bruto
12-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Park Tools makes several different sizes of pin spanners for bicycles. I am not sure they get down close enough to 2 mm. for your purpose but it's worth a look if you have a bike shop with a Park tool rack anywhere convenient.

You can also make a quick and dirty pin spanner for lighter work by taking a bicycle spoke and bending it into the same sort of shape as the spring type pin spanners.

AllThumbz
12-11-2010, 10:33 PM
If you don't want to make one as MichaelP, gnm109 and rohart suggest, do a search on Ebay for "face spanner" or "spanner wrench" and you will find all sizes. I bought some Williams and some Andersons for working on my VN #12 off Ebay for under $20.