PDA

View Full Version : An epiphany

dp
12-12-2010, 01:28 AM
Art Linkletter was right - kids say the craziest things. I had offered to a group of ladies that the Mac needed a third-party program to record screens as a video. One young lady (8 and a half!) present explained that no, it came built in to the Mac to which I sez no way, show me, and she proceeded to teach an old phart a new trick.

It turns out that in the Mac Snow Leopard OS Quicktime viewer there is now a screen recorder option that lets you record everything that happens on your screen. This can be saved to a video file and emailed or uploaded to YouTube to use as a presentation or tutorial. I had no idea! I need to do a rather intensive tutorial for a customer who doesn't understand well his web site and this is exactly the tool I wished to have to create that tutorial.

wbleeker
12-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Good things these Mac's, I even have Windoze on mine through Bootcamp, don't use parallels though it's CRAP. I use my accounting program in Windows and everything else in Snow Leopard.
With the Tormach here soon I am going to get my daughter to put windows on my macbook so i can run Alibre and Sprutcam (I hope)
Will

aostling
12-12-2010, 02:02 AM
I had no idea!

Neither did I.

[edit] and here is the recording of my epiphany: Screen Recording.mov

Well, I cannot seem to paste it here as a link. Ah, of course, as you said, I'd have to upload it to YouTube.

precisionmetal
12-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Good things these Mac's, I even have Windoze on mine through Bootcamp, don't use parallels though it's CRAP.

Try VMWare Fusion.

I'm running both WinXP and Win7 virtual machines under it. Works perfectly.

lazlo
12-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Try VMWare Fusion.

I'm running both WinXP and Win7 virtual machines under it. Works perfectly.

Why is it the first thing that every Mac fan does is load Windows on their machine? :)

precisionmetal
12-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Why is it the first thing that every Mac fan does is load Windows on their machine? :)

Probably because windows runs better/faster and more isolated from malware in a virtual machine on a Mac than it does on a PC. ;)

Actually, I have it to run 2 very old DOS programs that I occasionally help my retired dad with, and one CAM program. In my opinion, everything else works better on a Mac (and this is coming from someone who used PCs since the late 80's up until about 1 year ago).

:)
PM

gnm109
12-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Friends don't let friends use Macs. :D

lazlo
12-12-2010, 11:27 AM
Probably because windows runs better/faster and more isolated from malware in a virtual machine on a Mac than it does on a PC. ;)

Windows runs faster in a virtual machine than it does natively? Wow, that's impressive!

I designed Intel's virtualization acceleration hardware, and the best we were able to achieve was a 25% performance hit. ;)

dp
12-12-2010, 11:42 AM

Because we can.

Lew Hartswick
12-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I think it (Windoz) would run a lot faster "natively" if I could get rid of
a lot of the misc. junk that seems to be running all the time that I have
absolutely no use for. BUT I don't have any idea how to tell which of
them to get rid of and how.
...Lew...

dp
12-12-2010, 11:47 AM
Windows runs faster in a virtual machine than it does natively? Wow, that's impressive!

I designed Intel's virtualization acceleration hardware, and the best we were able to achieve was a 25% performance hit. ;)

My Windows 7 "Experience" is 3.9 on my Mac running in Fusion, and 4.1 running native in a new Dell. Since I never do anything to push the Windows environment hard I'll never see the effect (it's mostly impacting Aero).

BTW, the Rhino folks have the next Rhino CAD for Mac beta available for free download - it keeps getting better.

lazlo
12-12-2010, 11:59 AM
My Windows 7 "Experience" is 3.9 on my Mac running in Fusion, and 4.1 running native in a new Dell.

Wow, that's a very low performance score! The Win 7 performance range is 1 to 7.9! What Dell do you have that gets a 4.1 "Experience" natively?

I get 7.2 with a 2 year old Nehalem with a mediocre graphics card.

dp
12-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Wow, that's a verylow performance score! The Win 7 performance range is 1 to 7.9! What Dell do you have that gets a 4.1 "Experience" natively?

I get 7.2 with a 2 year old Nehalem with a mediocre graphics card.

I have two monitors and one of them is attached via USB as there's only one vid port. That machine (not sure what model - I don't pay attention to PC stuff, but it's less than a year old) is used primarily to run any of several Linux virtual machines as that makes it easier to do my job. We're required to use Windows because we also are required to use Windows chat and a few other proprietary Microsoft offerings.

I run Linux on the USB screen as it doesn't require so much of a video card. So while the "Experience" is not great it doesn't slow me down at all.

Except for our desktop systems which are Dell hardware most of our Windows servers are running as virtual machines in ESXi (VMware). We also have dozens of Linux virtual machines but also run Linux on hardware for the Oracle databases, which require 16 or more processors.

I just built a 4-wide Oracle RAC cluster that has a total of 64 processors, 132 GB of RAM, and several terabytes of SAN storage. When I need performance I know how to get it :)

scmw
12-12-2010, 12:24 PM
don't use parallels though it's CRAP.

I'm using P5 on OSX 10.6.5 on a Mac Pro. I have XP and Win 7 64 bit VM's with 8 GB of RAM assigned to it. Zero performance issues. I use Quickbooks, Rhino and Alibre w/Alibre Cam. All of these programs work well. We use the Mac side for email and web browsing. Much faster with less AV intrusion.

We do use Boot Camp in order to realize the full 38 GB on the machine as some of our customer CAD files are in the 4-12 GB range. On the Boot Camp side I use Win 7 64 bit with Rhino 4/RhinoCam Pro, Rhino 5 32 bit/RhinoCam Pro, Rhino 5 64 bit WIP, Alibre 2011 64 bit, and SolidWorks 2010.

Even though we use Boot Camp for files requiring heaver firepower, I would not discount P5 at all. It's a very useful app for us.

We also have Rhino WIP for Mac. WOW, it is impressive. I'm just waiting for the 64 bit SDK to be completed then it's rocket time!