PDA

View Full Version : FIRST TOOL GLOAT w/pics

davidwdyer
12-12-2010, 08:36 AM
I was visiting a friend in southern Brazil (Santa Catarina)n who deals in used machinery. He bought several crates of cutters from a business which was closing. These crates are about 18" x 24" and loaded with tooling, all for about $600. Up until now, when someone bought a new machine from him, he let them choose a couple of cutters to sweeten the deal.

On my visit, he let me choose as many as I wanted for free. He is thinking of retiring and will just auction off what is left. Well, I wanted to get a lot, but not appear too piggy, even though I am. So I dug in with both hands and here is what I got.

http://www.johndyerco.com/Dad/ToolGloat1.jpg

I'm going to need some help from you guys knowing what kind of inserts will fit the small facing heads. I see I'll probably have to take new pics of these to get the help I'll need.

Some of the larger cutters were probably used on wood or plastic. The larger ones over to the right I don't know what to do with, but there were so many of them I decided to take a couple.

The little pile of flat stuff on the right I think is hardened steel profile form cutters. I thought I could grind a few to suit my needs someday.

Peter.
12-12-2010, 08:50 AM
That is a nice haul!

dockrat
12-12-2010, 12:49 PM
OMFG!!!!!! buy a lottery ticket!!

macona
12-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Now you just need a cold saw to go with the cold saw blades. I have mounted them in a table saw before for cutting aluminum. Added a spray mist unit below the table saw to apply coolant directly to the blade. Worked very well.

Tony Ennis
12-12-2010, 01:53 PM
The flat cutters on the right looks to be the cutters from a Stanley 45 or 55 hand plane. See if there's a maker on them. If they are what I think, eBay them - someone will need them.

davidwdyer
12-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Now you just need a cold saw to go with the cold saw blades. I have mounted them in a table saw before for cutting aluminum. Added a spray mist unit below the table saw to apply coolant directly to the blade. Worked very well.

I've heard of a cold saw, but never seen one in action. Is there any reason I can't just use the saws like I already use slotting saws, etc.?

davidwdyer
12-12-2010, 02:34 PM
The flat cutters on the right looks to be the cutters from a Stanley 45 or 55 hand plane. See if there's a maker on them. If they are what I think, eBay them - someone will need them.

Thanks for the tips.

I don't know what the flat cutters are from, but they are all different shapes, sizes and forms. I doubt if they came from one kind of machine.

I can't ebay them from here in Brazil. Shipping etc. would be too much of a pain. Plus, I think I can find uses for them

fishfrnzy
12-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Good stuff for free? Now that's what I call a "major gloat." Congrats!