PDA

View Full Version : OT: It's Back (the flu)

dp
12-12-2010, 01:08 PM
My wife began taking Tamiflu yesterday. She started feeling feverish and after 36 hours her lungs became infected and she's been steamrolled by it since. No diagnosis of which flu it is but they're all bad. Given the speed at which this disease works the next few days are going to be unsettling.

We've tried to isolate the vector but nobody in our immediate circle is ill. Sometimes it's just your turn.

squirrel
12-12-2010, 01:59 PM
What is Tamiflu? is that a flu prevention shot or after the fact medication.

dp
12-12-2010, 02:11 PM
It's like a morning-after pill series. If you haven't had a shot and come down with symptoms you have about 2 days to start the Tamiflu regimen. It inhibits further spread of the virus but makes you feel just as sick as if you hadn't taken it. But unlike the flu it won't kill you.

squirrel
12-12-2010, 02:21 PM
A long time ago my employer at the time had some one giving out flu shots and it made me sick, I learned my lesson. I don't take any medication or get shots unless its a dire emergency. Good luck, I wish her a speedy recovery.

oldtiffie
12-12-2010, 03:21 PM
In OZ we get a combined anti-flu (Tamiflu is included) as a pre-winter/'flu season risk pro-active injection.

It works very well.

It can be taken/given as re-active (after you've got the flu or its symptoms) - but you've still got the flu.

My wife and I have been getting the flu-vax for years and have not had a serious cold - and only an occasional quite mild flu attack which we get over easily.

As we are both over 60 the vaccination and the Doctor consultation are free (the Doctor "bulk bills" our universal "Medicare" system).

We have finished our winter here and there was no concern about flu epidemics or pandemics either - never has been.

Perhaps we are bit more "laid-back" here in OZ.

philbur
12-12-2010, 04:29 PM
Have you just returned from an extended visit to Mars or are you under 1 year old. ;)

Phil:)

What is Tamiflu? is that a flu prevention shot or after the fact medication.

TGTool
12-12-2010, 04:36 PM
A long time ago my employer at the time had some one giving out flu shots and it made me sick, I learned my lesson. I don't take any medication or get shots unless its a dire emergency. Good luck, I wish her a speedy recovery.

Well, good luck to you too! I suppose you hope to simply never encounter measles, whooping cough, polio and a bunch of other nasties for which innoculations have been devised.

Oldbrock
12-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Haven't had the flu or a cold since I joined Melaleuca in '92. I put it down to the supliments they have. Peter

Jim Caudill
12-12-2010, 05:52 PM
To show the power of suggestion (or prodding), when I came across this thread I stopped and called several pharmacies, then went right out and got my flu shot. They say it takes 3 weeks for maximum effectiveness. Oh well, hope I don't encounter anyone with the flu for a while; but at least I got I have the shot now. I got the H1N1 flu shot last year, so maybe this will be sort of a "booster".

I am a believer in vaccinations and inoculations.

squirrel
12-12-2010, 05:54 PM
Well, good luck to you too! I suppose you hope to simply never encounter measles, whooping cough, polio and a bunch of other nasties for which innoculations have been devised.
Back in the 60's people did contract Polio from the vaccinations, I do recall having to eat a sugar cube at school.

From what I have read about all the vaccinations I strongly believe that is why my allergies were so bad and it might have been a possible source of the arthritis. When I was younger if you would just look at me I would have an allergic reaction. It has been subsiding over the years, finally I can mow the yard without my eyes getting matted up.

Abner
12-12-2010, 07:44 PM
As long as it isn't hanta virus - Winter brings rodents indoors.

GKman
12-12-2010, 07:58 PM

I've had vaccinations that made me sick. I was just a little kid but I can still remember a smallpox shot or booster. Yellow fever sucked and a flu shot or two made me feel kind of lousy. I take them anyway because the diseases are worse and the reason so many diseases are nearly eradicated in the developed world is because WE ALL STOPPED BEING CARRIERS. Mommies who think they know why their children shouldn't be vaccinated because the read THE FACTS on Don Imus' girlfriend's website are conveniently hitching a free ride on the kids that take that million to one chance of a bad vaccination and won't carry the disease to them. I believe the word WE is the most important in any language. (author retires from soapbox)

.RC.
12-12-2010, 09:33 PM
You could always take the Dr Kervorkian cure-all pills...

Cures every ailment known to man :D

dp
12-12-2010, 09:43 PM
You could always take the Dr Kervorkian cure-all pills...

Cures every ailment known to man :D

That is an option I would like to have for many years to come. I'll consider it a last resort :)

914Wilhelm
12-13-2010, 12:48 AM
Back in the 60's people did contract Polio from the vaccinations, I do recall having to eat a sugar cube at school.

FWIW polio vaccine is now made from a dead virus. The only sugar cubes I recall from the 60s had LSD on them. Oh wait, if you can remember the 60s you wern't there!

squirrel
12-13-2010, 09:11 AM
FWIW polio vaccine is now made from a dead virus. The only sugar cubes I recall from the 60s had LSD on them. Oh wait, if you can remember the 60s you wern't there!
I think you are right, that explains alot of strange things!

ulav8r
12-13-2010, 07:48 PM
The polio sugar cubes were in the '50's.

dp
12-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Injections were used in the '50s. The Sabin vaccine wasn't available until 1962, shortly after my family moved to Berkeley. I recall the school I went to to take the sugar cube. My kids went to that same school in the 70's.

Mad Scientist
12-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Its been over a year since we were told that everyone was going to get the H1N1 flu if they didn’t rush out and immediately get their flu shot.
Well since then the authors of this article have been sniffing out the cold facts.

Five Myths to Keep in Mind About Flu Vaccines

Myth 1: The Flu Shot is very effective.
Statistically, you are less likely to get the flu if you haven’t had a flu vaccine. A BCTV reporter in Vancouver, commenting on the overload in BC emergency rooms, said that out of 32 people who had received a flu shot, 30 got the flu.

Myth 2: The Flu Shot has a high success rate.
This is a vaccine that only has a 6.25% success rate. This is a pretty big under-achievement, considering that the average reaction to placebo injections of distilled water is 30%.

Myth 3: The Flu Shot is safe.
Hugh Fudenberg MD, who is the world’s leading immunogeneticist, says that if a person had 5 flu vaccinations between 1970 and 1980 he/she is 10 times more likely to get Alzheimer’s Disease than if he/she had only one or two shots. Fudenberg said that this was because of the aluminum and mercury, which almost every flu vaccine contains. The gradual accumulation of aluminum and mercury in the brain leads to cognitive dysfunction.

Myth 4: There are no harmful ingredients in vaccinations.
Flu vaccines consist primarily of 3 categories of ingredients. First there are viruses and cultured bacteria. The second ingredient is the way in which they can be cultivated. This includes aborted human fetal cells, chick embryos, pig blood, monkey kidney tissue, cowpox pus, and calf serum, and all of these foreign proteins get injected straight into your bloodstream. A bit repulsive just thinking about it, isn’t it? The flu shot also contains neutralizers, stabilizers, carrying agents and preservatives such as mercury, aluminum, and formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is something that is used for embalming the dead and is known to cause cancer. There is no amount of formaldehyde considered safe when injected into a living organism.

Myth 5: The Flu Shot works.
The flu shot could actually weaken your immune system and make you more likely to catch this virus. It is has absolutely no value and should probably be avoided for your own safety. Not only is it loaded with toxic chemicals, but many people actually get the flu shortly after getting the shot, because it weakens their immune system instead of making it stronger like it is claimed to do.

Read entire article for more info.
http://preventdisease.com/news/10/121010_no_value_flu_vaccines.shtml

dp
12-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Why do you call these myths? I thought they were pretty widely understood risks.

lazlo
12-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Why do you call these myths? I thought they were pretty widely understood risks.

The medical community, especially the Centers for Disease Control, have a flu vaccination campaign every year, and they downplay, or outright omit, many of the health concerns about vaccinations in general. Last year, in particular, there was an intense misinformation campaign from the CDC trying to re-write the history of the 1976 Swine Flu debacle. For those who don't recall, President Ford was convinced by a young and very ambitious head of CDC to implement a mandatory Swine Flu vaccine.

After 40 million Americans were vaccinated in the first month, thousands came down with Guillain-Barré syndrome, and 500 people died from it. President Ford immediately shut down the program, and no further deaths occurred. Despite all the Swine Flu paranoia from the CDC, only one person died from the flu -- patient zero. Sound familiar?

Last year, the CDC had a 1976 Swine Flu FAQ Sheet that claimed that there was no scientific evidence that the 500 Guillain-Barré deaths from the Swine Flu vaccine could be conclusively connected with the vaccine. :rolleyes:

I get the vaccination most years, although like most peple I passed on the H1N1 vaccine last year, since it was rushed to market without being tested.

dp
12-13-2010, 10:17 PM
For those who don't recall, President Ford was convinced by a young and very ambitious head of CDC to implement a mandatory Swine Flu vaccine.

That ended the myth for me. Did anyone not learn from that? If so, can they learn?

lazlo
12-13-2010, 10:25 PM
That ended the myth for me. Did anyone not learn from that? If so, can they learn?

I think many folks don't remember. I'm 44, and we were stationed in Germany at the time, so I had no recollection of the 1976 debacle, until people started circulating the 1977 60 Minutes Episode with Dan Rather interviewing the young CDC doctor who was single-handedly responsible for the panic, and the force vaccinations.

But last year, during the panic, if you walked into a doctor's office there were flyers posted everywhere about how safe and effective the flu vaccines were. But I asked our Pediatrician if he and/or his children were going to get the H1N1 vaccine, and he said "No. Absolutely not."

KiloBravo
12-14-2010, 12:34 AM
http://preventdisease.com/news/10//081010_everything_is_a_lie.shtml

The H1N1 Scandal

Last year, the H1N1 scandal reached its pinnacle in the fall of 2009 when the world united on the internet with a consensus and practical understanding of the World Health Organization's orchestratration to deceive the masses. From radio, internet, television, newspapers, magazines, outdoor posters, signage and promotions, you could not escape the flu hype campaigns so diligently pursued by all the malicious agendas at play who only wanted one thing - to promote a dangerous H1N1 vaccine. After hundreds of reports exposed the criminal activity by all levels of government, we left the same people in power to do it all over again.

Seems like balanced and fair reporting to me :rolleyes:

gmatov
12-14-2010, 04:36 AM
Actually, if I recall, the Flu shots were all but free last year. MILLIONS of them were not taken. This year, everybody is selling them for 25 bucks.

Of those MILLIONS that were not taken, our Flu incidence last year was about a quarter of the deaths from "Complications from Influenza" than in prior years, when more people GOT the injections.

I haven't had one since '76, when Ford decreed them. Company had us all march out to to the truck to get a pneumatic hypo, their treat to us. If I recall correctly, many people, including me, did not make it to work for the next week or so.

Every medicine that has ever been made has been made for money, even Polio vaccine. If there was no money in it, we would still be building Iron Lungs, at a profit.

Cheers,

George

ikdor
12-14-2010, 05:04 AM
Well since then the authors of this article have been sniffing out the cold facts.

Read entire article for more info.
http://preventdisease.com/news/10/121010_no_value_flu_vaccines.shtml

I'm not really convinced that is an authoritative source. Judging from this article http://preventdisease.com/news/10/121310_RF_chips_trees.shtml there is no shortage of tin foil hats among the editors.

I am positive the flu shots in The Netherlands don't induce a 94% illness rate. That is just ridiculous. Maybe they need to talk to their vaccine supplier if all their clients are getting ill from the shot.

Igor

philbur
12-14-2010, 06:08 AM
A somewhat less than rigorous mathematical analysis? Especially if you plan to base your health care on the result.

Here we go with another conspiracy theory. The gubermant are trying to murder us all with deadly flu vaccine in order to ….. (Insert your own pet paranoia here).

What a bunch of old women.:D

Phil:)

Actually, if I recall, the Flu shots were all but free last year. MILLIONS of them were not taken. This year, everybody is selling them for 25 bucks.

Of those MILLIONS that were not taken, our Flu incidence last year was about a quarter of the deaths from "Complications from Influenza" than in prior years, when more people GOT the injections.

bob ward
12-14-2010, 08:17 AM
Every medicine that has ever been made has been made for money, even Polio vaccine. If there was no money in it, we would still be building Iron Lungs, at a profit.

Cheers,

George

Time to throw in a BIG BAD PHARMACORP conspiracy theory, ie pharmacorp don't like simple natural cures that they can't sell or make money from, eg Helminthic Therapy. Usual disclaimers.

http://www.asthmahookworm.com/ and others

lazlo
12-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Here we go with another conspiracy theory. The gubermant are trying to murder us all with deadly flu vaccine in order to ….. (Insert your own pet paranoia here).

It's a much simpler motivation: vaccinations are a multi-billion dollar industry.

Ford fired Dr. David Sencer for creating the 1976 Swine Flu panic and the botched vaccine. He was instantly hired as the Senior Vice President of Becton, Dickinson and Company -- the pharmaceutical company that made most of the US vaccinations at that time :rolleyes:

http://www.semp.us/publications/biot_reader.php?BiotID=177

Glaxo-Smith-Kline made billions last year: the UK alone spent £1.84 billion purchasing the H1N1 vaccine from Glaxo. The US spent $7.65 billion.

Every bad spy movie is about some agency like SPECTRE causing the outbreak of a disease, fomenting panic, and then selling the cure for billions. It happens every day.