PDA

View Full Version : OT: Comp Virus-AKA- Adobe & Java

Cobbler
12-14-2010, 02:00 PM
My work machine has Adobe and Java installed, both work fine, I DO NOT WANT TO UPDATE!!!! I have never updated since they were installed and they still work fine. I have a feeling that they will continue to work fine without updating for the life of this machine. If they stop working, I will update at that point but right now, I DO NOT WANT TO UPDATE!!!! I can go into settings and turn off the automatic update features but as soon as I open an application which uses these programs, up pops the automatic updater again. At this point, these programs are nothing short of a nuisance computer virus.

Is there a definate and final way to turn off these automatic update programs?

dp
12-14-2010, 02:04 PM
The SSL certs in the early Java code have expired and may no longer be trusted by newer browsers and Java executables. I have an important tool that requires Java 1.1.4 which has the expired certs and our recent upgrade to Windows 7 at work makes it all but impossible to run this version. Some can, some cannot. I have to run an older version of XP as a virtual machine in Win7 in order to get this capability.

Adobe will nag you endlessly.

kf2qd
12-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Updating can get you newer and cleaner code that has had vulnerabilities removed. Not much change in what you see, but what the program won't allow, as far as hacks and malicious code may be to your advantage.